Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Worst Hardware Jobs Ever

Worst Hardware Jobs Ever
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 02:58 AM

So it took three of us to put a new battery in 2nd gen iPod. What a pain in the you know what. I could find documentation on the 1st gen ipods, and the 3rd, and the Mini. But not mine. Stupid firewire port got caught. Anyhow, anyone have an interesting fix it jobs that went bad on them? Home jobs, cars, computers? I once had a firewire case throw sparks at me. That wasn't fun. Nor was the smell.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 03:28 AM

I wired some off road lights onto my jeep wrangler, and was a retard and never put a fuse inline, well that ended in smoke, in the middle of a trail... I cut my hand really bad opening the hood, not like stitches bad, but it was not too much fun... luckily I had a fire extinguisher in hand...dident have to use it though, the wire melted itself by the time i got to it.... nothing like seeing smoke come from under your hood...

Zach

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2005, 03:42 AM

You had trouble getting a 2g apart? ... Sorry dude, but I do find that kinda funny.. it's one of the easiest to pull apart. Sorry to hear it didn't go too easily for ya
Aloha

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 04:32 AM

I have the 2nd Gen iPod and tempting to change the battery by myself. Meanwhile, I believe the 1st and 2nd Gen share the same form factor, right?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
I have the 2nd Gen iPod and tempting to change the battery by myself. Meanwhile, I believe the 1st and 2nd Gen share the same form factor, right?
Yes
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
They're slightly different around the firewire/headphone/ Hold button area. I only had issues because the firewire port would come down and around. Plus who really wants to do that much pulling and prodding on your iPod? I'd hate to be left with a 10 Gig paper weight.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 02:48 AM

? All you need to do is shift the bottom of the case to the 'side' -- no 'pressing and prodding' required at all.. generally requires you grab the top and shift the bottom from it.. tricky but doable.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules