Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > what is my G4 worth?

what is my G4 worth?
hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 10:46 AM

I've got a G4 Digital Audio...I'm curious as to what I could get from selling it maybe to put towards an upgrade to a Mac Pro or a newer PM G5.

* Dual 1.8GHz Gigadesigns upgrade
* 1.5GB PC133 SDRAM
* CD-R/Zip 250 Drive
* ACard 64-bit 4 Channel PCI-X RAID controller
* (2) Deskstar T7K250 160GB ATA133 drives (currently in RAID 0)
* Radeon 9800 Pro Retail 128MB w/Zalman Al-Cu cooler
* USB 2.0 card

I'm satisfied with performance, but I'd really like a Mac Pro, and I think I'll be able to afford it. Problem is I won't need this computer anymore, and I'd hate to just have this one sitting around. I'm just wondering what you guys think the street price for something like this would be, or if I may make a little more by parting it out...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 11:09 AM

I wouldn't take a penny less than $800.00

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 3, 2006, 11:51 AM

I personally wouldn't pay $800 for that, considering you can get a 17" Core Duo 1.83 GHz iMac with X1600 and SuperDrive for $949, and that comes with a full 1 year warranty. However, your mileage may vary.

Yeah, yours has RAID, but if I were really in the market for a RAID machine, I'd probably buy a used G5 Power Mac or a Mac Pro.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 12:19 PM

interesting...good to know

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2006, 12:32 PM

You could always try pricing it high on Craigslist and to see what kind of offers you get.

Just remember to put in the the description that you're not interested in offers from outer Slobovia.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I personally wouldn't pay $800 for that, considering you can get a 17" Core Duo 1.83 GHz iMac with X1600 and SuperDrive for $949, and that comes with a full 1 year warranty. However, your mileage may vary.
IIRC, the 17" model with a SuperDrive and X1600 is $1199, not $949.
Linkinus is king.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 12:56 PM

lol, slobovia. I just put it on craigslist @ $1150, so i'll see what happens. You never know... If i get lucky and someone buys it, great, if not, i'll part it out on ebay or here if i even get rid of it at all...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
IIRC, the 17" model with a SuperDrive and X1600 is $1199, not $949.
I'm not talking about the 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo. I'm talking about the 1.83 GHz Core Duo with SuperDrive for $949... as in refurb (which is a reasonable comparison, since an Apple refurb is still more attractive than a used machine).

Refurbished iMac 17-inch 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo

512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Price: $949.00

Model Refurbished 17-inch iMac
Processor 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
L2 Cache 2MB Shared
System bus 667MHz
Memory 512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300), supports up to 2GB
Hard drive 160GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm
Optical drive Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 2.4x Dual Layer burn (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Display 17-inch (viewable) widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1440 x 900 pixels, millions of colors
Video camera Built-in iSight
Graphics ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Ports Two FireWire 400 ports; three USB 2.0 ports, two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard); mini-DVI port; DVI output2; VGA output2; S-video and composite video output
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone, headphone/optical digital audio output, audio line in
Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
Wireless Built-in 54 Mbps AirPort Extreme (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module.
Hardware accessories Apple Remote, Apple Keyboard, Mighty Mouse
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Oct 3, 2006 at 01:08 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2006, 01:26 PM

I sincerely doubt you'll get anything less than $800-900, and I would advise against you going any lower anyways. If Craiglist fails, which it probably will, try eBay.

Just be sure to talk up the machine really well; give a good run down on all the performance upgrades and why they matter enough to justify a premium and you'll get end up with a good sale.

And for good measure, you may wanna throw in a SuperDrive. They're under $30 now from places like NewEgg and for whatever reason DVD burners seem to affect the value of Macs much more than they affect the value of PCs. I suppose it's the fact that most Mac users really don't feel like having to deal with adding a new optical drive on their own after they get a machine.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I'm not talking about the 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo. I'm talking about the 1.83 GHz Core Duo with SuperDrive for $949... as in refurb (which is a reasonable comparison, since an Apple refurb is still more attractive than a used machine).
I stand corrected.
Linkinus is king.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I sincerely doubt you'll get anything less than $800-900, and I would advise against you going any lower anyways. If Craiglist fails, which it probably will, try eBay.

Just be sure to talk up the machine really well; give a good run down on all the performance upgrades and why they matter enough to justify a premium and you'll get end up with a good sale.

And for good measure, you may wanna throw in a SuperDrive. They're under $30 now from places like NewEgg and for whatever reason DVD burners seem to affect the value of Macs much more than they affect the value of PCs. I suppose it's the fact that most Mac users really don't feel like having to deal with adding a new optical drive on their own after they get a machine.

good point...if it doesn't go as-is, i'll add a DVD-R drive because i'd like one even if it doesn't sell

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 03:12 PM

What's the clock speed of your G4 without the CPU upgrade? I'm curious since I have a G4 and have done extensive upgrades but have reached a point of dimishing returns due to (I believe) slow bus and slow memory. Thanks.
( Last edited by cgc; Oct 4, 2006 at 04:33 PM. )

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2006, 03:36 PM

533MHz... 133MHz bus

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 04:40 PM

Yep, if it had a DVD burner AND I had $900, I'd buy it in a heartbeat

But as is, I would think you could ebay it for ~$1k anyways.....

good luck
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules