Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cant Install Leopard On G5

Cant Install Leopard On G5
swrighthgp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2009, 12:24 PM

So I got two new hard drives and a copy of leopard so I could use Pro Tools 8. I try installing leopard on my new main drive which i formated. And i got an error saying that the source media was damaged.

I got a new copy from the store the next day and received the same error. So its not the DVD. I then tried to use my mac book as an external driver to read the DVD and got a similar error saying that it just wouldn't work. So its not my optical drive.

I took it into the Apple store today and they tried installing it from 3 different external drives including their server...no dice. But they were able to install the oldest version of tiger on it strangely enough (I do have the right specs for leopard). So as of right now I'm cloning my hard drives so that I can try and boot leopard from an existing OS....didnt work.

This has been driving me crazy the last few days. I think it might be the logic board going bad. Anyone have a similar issue?

Cold Warrior
Feb 5, 2009, 01:48 PM

Since this is more about installing it on your specific hardware, I've moved it to the PowerMac/Mac Pro section.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Feb 5, 2009, 02:19 PM

Maybe a bad stick of RAM?

swrighthgp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 01:44 AM

i have 2 extra gigs of ram installed my computer...im going to try and take them out and see what happens

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2009, 04:53 AM

Have you tried using the other hard drive? I'm kinda sue you have, but just wanted to suggest it.

swrighthgp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2009, 01:02 PM

Yes I have tried installing to both drives

Gajus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2009, 12:43 PM

I have exactly the same problem on my Mac Mini Intel Dual Core. I tried several dvd's and several optical drives, to no avail. One time it looked like it worked, it came a lot further than ever before, but then i got the message that the Epson drivers couldn't be read...

Cold Warrior
Feb 8, 2009, 12:55 PM

Another trick would be to 'restore' the DVD to a partition on your other internal hard drive. You can boot from that partition and run the Leopard installer. I got the impression that the Apple Store people had tried something similar via an external drive, so an internal drive may eliminate any bus/port issues.

Gajus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2009, 01:39 PM

I found a solution for my problem, albeit a weird one. After changing back to my old memory sticks, the installation worked. Very strange, because my mini is working flawlessly for about 9 months now with the new memory.... And the message that the source media is faulthy is apparently nonsense.

Cold Warrior
Feb 9, 2009, 02:52 PM

Interesting. Have you put your newer RAM sticks back in yet? It'd be interesting to see if you get any problems with them in. You can use your Apple hardware test DVD to test RAM or just use memtest or a GUI for it like Rember if you wanted to fully vet your RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules