Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dark strip through screen on 15" 2.16 C2D MBP

dark strip through screen on 15" 2.16 C2D MBP
hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 06:18 PM

I sent in my MBP for loose hinges about 2 months ago and ever since then I've had a flickering screen on lowest brightness and a dark strip that shows up from time to time. I've already sent it in to apple's repair center once, but they found "no problem" even though they had it for almost 2 weeks. What should I do? I know that with my luck, any time I take it into the store, it won't happen.

I caught the dark strip beastie on camera today, and I can use it for evidence i guess....

Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2007, 07:09 PM

Oooh... if at all possible take that to someone at an Apple Store or somewhere where you can be there and "Force" them to see it.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2007, 07:24 PM

problem is...it's intermittent. I don't know when it's going to happen. So far, i've noticed it does it more when i'm turning on the computer when it's been sleeping for a while, but even then it doesn't happen always...

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2007, 02:51 AM

My MBP (same model) has this as well, although for me its actually on both sides running from top to bottom, about 4cm wide. It's only noticeable when I've just turned it on or the screen brightness is down quite low. Next time it shows up I'll take a photo too.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2007, 01:08 PM

caught it again...this time the computer had been on for several hours... I hope my collection of evidence is enough to make Apple do something.

Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2007, 01:31 PM

Posting it here won't make Apple do anything. But make sure they see these pictures and try to recreate the problem for them. Make note of when it happens and see if there are similarities between what you have been doing on it.

hookem2oo7  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2007, 01:34 PM

There is no pattern whatsoever to this problem. It seems like it just happens whenever it feels like it. I do plan on showing these pictures to Apple, but I posted them here just to see if this was happening to anyone else (one other person says it has)...

scaredpoet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2007, 05:21 PM

My MBP has the same dark strip that shows up in the exact same spot. But it only happens when my MBP display turns on after being off for a while, and then goes away after about a minute.

Last time I asked an Apple Support person about this, I was referred here:

Fluorescent Lamp LCDs require a warm-up period

Considering it goes away quickly every time and doesn't come back unless the display has been off for a while, I haven't really made a fuss about it since. But if it's coming back for you AFTER the display has been on for a while, then definitely something isn't right. I know the moment it starts happening to ME I'm going to raise hell about it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules