Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti 800 Screen sharpness

Ti 800 Screen sharpness
LunaticFringe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2002, 09:00 AM

I am going to sell my iBook G3 500 combo drive and purchase a new Ti 800... I have read all the threads on the sceen res - this little iBook has the sharpest/brightest screen I have seen (bought this when my Walstreet died ) I want to get some feedback on how the bightness/crispness of the new Ti books compares to the iBooks. I was not too impressed with my buddies older 667 Ti screen as it seemed not as bright and crisp as my current iBook. Is the new screen brighter/sharper/crisper that the old Ti Books and how the new screen compares to the iBook..... thanks much!

maffioso
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2002, 09:03 AM

The new PB's screen supposedly looks like the it is the same screen as the iBook, and the iBook's has been cut down to 12.1". I hear that it is comparable to the iBook, in both sharpness and brightness...

Maybe best to take your iBook to a retaler and put them side by side...
CHRIS SMITH

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2002, 09:51 AM

Just got the 667 DVI to replace the iBook 600 which I have not yet sold. The new PowerBook display seems brighter but doesn't have quite as good contrast. This is just my first impression. I haven't actually set them side by side for a comparison. The PowerBook screen seems just as sharp for small text and is VERY nice. You won't be disappointed.

msykes
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
<STRONG>Just got the 667 DVI to replace the iBook 600 which I have not yet sold. The new PowerBook display seems brighter but doesn't have quite as good contrast. This is just my first impression. I haven't actually set them side by side for a comparison. The PowerBook screen seems just as sharp for small text and is VERY nice. You won't be disappointed.</STRONG>
It may not be quite the same as the iBook screens, but I think it's generally accepted that the screens on the new DVI powerbooks are much nicer than the older ones. I would go for it... any slight differences in brightness/whatever will be more than offset by the size...

LunaticFringe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2002, 02:50 PM

Thanks Guys - I am going for it, now I just need to sell my iBook!

LunaticFringe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2002, 07:43 PM

I am going to go ahead and get the new tiBook 800, however, I do think that Gigawire and a speed bump (however minor) are going to appear at MWNY in July - always the same - but how long can I keep waiting and waiting for the next improvement??? I am going in!~

msykes
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by LunaticFringe:
<STRONG>I am going to go ahead and get the new tiBook 800, however, I do think that Gigawire and a speed bump (however minor) are going to appear at MWNY in July - always the same - but how long can I keep waiting and waiting for the next improvement??? I am going in!~</STRONG>
For what it's worth, I think you will be pleasantly surprised that there is *NOT* a speedbump to the powerbooks in July. I mean May-July, only 2.5 months, that would be almost unheard of for Apple! (Combo drive aside :-) I'm voting for September speed bump, January major upgrade. Come January, the Ti will be 2 years old.

lance88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2002, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by LunaticFringe:
<STRONG>Thanks Guys - I am going for it, now I just need to sell my iBook!</STRONG>
How much money it can sell? my ibook are too slow for programming.

jblakeh1
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 10:41 PM

The Ti book seems brighter to me.

I designed my personal web site ( http://www.SIT3.com/jblakeh1 ) on an iBook, and the light gray I used is barely distinguishable from white on my Ti, regardless of the color profile used.

Also, some colors look a lot more saturated than they did on the iBook.

The speed is amazing coming from an iBook, though. And the additional screen real estate is nice, too.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2002, 09:06 PM

I bought the Dual USB iBook the day before they were officially released (Fry's had just gotten them in). We used it for only 2 months before selling it on EBay, but the screen impressed me. I would say the iBook screen is just a little bit brighter than my new TiBook DVI. Also I would say the information on the screen of the iBook is smaller. That said, the TiBook is very sharp and you won't be disappointed at all. This is a way better machine.

PeteWK

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2002, 08:40 PM

I think the iBook screen still has a slight edge in terms of brightness and sharpness.

I played with the 800MHz model today at the Apple Store in Cincy, and while I was impressed with the speed the new screen resolution and display quality did not blow me away. If you have an older model TiBook, I don't think you will die from envy over the new models, unless you are going to judge them on speed alone.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 18, 2002, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
<STRONG>I think the iBook screen still has a slight edge in terms of brightness and sharpness.

I played with the 800MHz model today at the Apple Store in Cincy, and while I was impressed with the speed the new screen resolution and display quality did not blow me away. If you have an older model TiBook, I don't think you will die from envy over the new models, unless you are going to judge them on speed alone.</STRONG>
I saw the TiBook 400 and 800 next to each other. The screen of the 800 version is way lighter, sharper and brighter...

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
<STRONG>

I saw the TiBook 400 and 800 next to each other. The screen of the 800 version is way lighter, sharper and brighter...</STRONG>

Yes, but did it "blow you away"? Are you willing to part with hundreds or thousands of dollars to replace an older gen TiBook over the display alone? I sure as heck wouldn't.

Now for 800MHz of pure power, why yes - yes I would.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules