Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photos new Mac App from Apple

Photos new Mac App from Apple
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2015, 08:39 PM

The problem i have with photos is that the events are sorted so that the oldest are on top and the newest on the bottom. So you have to constantly scroll all the way down to see the new stuff.

In the old version, you have several options on how events would be sorted.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

aj1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2015, 12:36 PM

In addition there are some time sequence irregularities. In /Photos they are sorted by photo date. In /Albums/Photos they seem to be sorted by date of Import.

Something else is not clear to me. Many people using iPhoto created second and third libraries because the app ran very slow when it got to big. And I have an old Aperture Library in addition to the one I've migrated to Photos. How do we import these additional libraries to merge all photos into one Library????

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2015, 07:44 PM

The basic word seems to be: Use Aperture to consolidate your libraries first, THEN import them into Photos.

I'm liking it a lot, so far. Faces is way, way WAY better.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2015, 05:59 PM

I know it's v.1.0 but it lacks so much for anything other than a 14-18 year olds desire to have their fifty selfies taken today instantly appear on their devices and computer. Period. There's really nothing more exciting about Photos.
--
Stuke

golferzorro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2015, 11:04 PM

Importing 14000 odd pictures into Photos looses all my Titles which are the picture filenames despite having checked the show Titles box in Photos. The data is available when you show Information and you can cut and paste it in the get info box. However for 14000 pictures!!!!. Poor design. Also pictures without a Colorsync Profile only show thumbnails and will not show the enlarged picture. Also Pictures which were sorted by title do not maintain order as they are sorted by time and I have many scanned in pictures which were taken before embedded time stamps were available so the display is a mess of disorganized pictures. The display is childishly simple. Unless anythings are changed I will be forced to stay with iPhoto and the current version of the OS as no doubt will many users with similar issues. Obviously the designers only designed for photos with embedded time and addicted to selfies.

mp1963
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2015, 01:17 AM

If you use the the Photos app to import folders (rather than an iPhoto or Aperture library) it merrily disregards the fact that you just might have grouped photos in a folder for a reason (not necessarily by date) and splits up the contents of the folder. I find this unbelievable as even iPhoto managed to do this kind of import flawlessly. Seems we are going backwards in some ways here. Anyone else think this is a "feature" which needs to be fixed ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2015, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stuke View Post
I know it's v.1.0 but it lacks so much for anything other than a 14-18 year olds desire to have their fifty selfies taken today instantly appear on their devices and computer. Period. There's really nothing more exciting about Photos.
What, exactly, are you missing?
Are you comparing it to iPhoto? Because apart from the "Open In..." Command, which is sure to be replaced by support for extensions in a version or two, and the lack of star-ratings, I'm seeing nothing Photos cannot do that iPhoto could, and my editing options have actually increased (once I've switched them on).

Or are you comparing it to Aperture? In which case, the primary differences (I'm not an Aperture user) appear to be fewer metadata options and lack of extensions (the latter of which is sure to come back).

It is imperative that you turn on the sidebar.

But that requires living through your "this is shit! Apple has gone to hell without Steve Jobs! I'm posting angry things about kids' software company Apple on the Internet! (Just like every time Apple has released anything new since 1998)" phase for just long enough to discover it.

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2015, 02:58 PM

My 2ยข:

Photos is an organisational nightmare.

Roll-over preview and Events in iPhoto enabled me to sort 36,000 photos into individual narratives which were quickly and easily accessible.

Now, I have one great big continuous photo-blob. It looks like a teenager's iPhone, just a load of random pics mixed together - even I've no idea at a glance where one event ends and another begins, and I took the pictures! I could spend the time drilling down to albums, but they're like iPhoto albums - unlike Events they don't automatically contain all my photos, and of course they only show one thumbnail, whether an album contains 8 or 800 photos.

What a massive step backwards. There goes 13 years of photo organisation out of the window.

I guess I'll stick with iPhoto for now, but need a plan B for when it's eventually unsupported. Also, I've wanted to sync all photos for the cloud for years. It's such a shame that when it finally comes along, it's terribly implemented.

EDIT: NO GEOTAGGING?? Right, that's it...
( Last edited by willed; Apr 12, 2015 at 03:24 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2015, 03:36 PM

Do you mean that there is currently no way to geotag an image after the fact?

Events view has been superseded by the Years/Collections/Moments system used on iOS, which I personally find more useful.

If you set Photos to show the sidebar, all your previous albums are still there and accessible.

I miss scroll-over preview for albums, too.

Also, do remember that, as always, this is a 1.0 that replaces an entrenched user tool, so it's a reduced feature set that will satisfy most basic usage, but do so solidly, while sending 15% of the user base into fits of rage for not (yet) supporting their pet crucial function.

You've waited a decade for cloud sync; you can wait another six months until they add the stuff you need to Photos.

In the meantime: Apple - Feedback

They haven't added Photos to that list yet, but they will soon, and then you can (and should) POLITELY and succinctly fire away.

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2015, 04:10 PM

Yeah, hopefully it will improve with time.

I wouldn't mind so much if you could rename the Collections to say what was actually happening in those pics - funnily enough, I have a lot of things happen in the city where I live, location and a date doesn't tell me much.

No post-fact geotagging either (i.e. no geotags unless taken on iPhone), but that must be a priority given location is the main criterion for the arbitrary Collections/Moments sorting, along with date.

Just before I updated I imported a bunch of photos of the same event from two different cameras which had internal clocks that were different by a few minutes. I have no idea how I'd sort this out if they weren't imported as iPhoto events, as Photos can't search by camera type (even though it's listed in Info), so all the photos are thrown in randomly together.

*Waits patiently for v.2.0*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2015, 04:22 PM

Judging from what they did with Final Cut Pro X 1.1 and Logic Pro X 10.1 (both of those were *major* functionality upgrades), we'll probably only have to wait until 1.1 or 1.2 for the return of some of the more essential advanced functions.

I'd think geotagging, metadata management, and extension support are the big ones, the latter probably eating most of the current effort.

ibook_steve
Apr 13, 2015, 04:30 AM

I haven't tried Photos yet, but this is starting to sound like the transition from iMovie HD (R.I.P.) to the new iMovie that SJ said the developer came up with because he thought iMovie HD was too complicated! Almost everything, even the timeline, was gone in the new version. I stayed away from iMovie for years after that transition happened, but now iMovie is awesome. I don't think I can do that this time, especially since I use iPhoto much more than I ever used iMovie.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Hash
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2015, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I haven't tried Photos yet, but this is starting to sound like the transition from iMovie HD (R.I.P.) to the new iMovie that SJ said the developer came up with because he thought iMovie HD was too complicated! Almost everything, even the timeline, was gone in the new version. I stayed away from iMovie for years after that transition happened, but now iMovie is awesome. I don't think I can do that this time, especially since I use iPhoto much more than I ever used iMovie.

Steve
I used the new imovie to make a music video and thought the new imovie was great. Don't know about older version.
Final Cut, however, completely buffled me (even though they say iMovie is built on Final Cut)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2015, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
I used the new imovie to make a music video and thought the new imovie was great. Don't know about older version.
Final Cut, however, completely buffled me (even though they say iMovie is built on Final Cut)
The basic structure is actually fairly similar, with events and projects.

Transitions take a bit more work, because they are so much more flexible, and there are WAY more functions, but basic editing works much like it does in iMovie.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2015, 12:33 PM

iPhoto has been THE one app that's truly kept me on the Mac all these years. (Yes, there are dozens of other reasons, but iPhoto is the one app that I've never really found anything else that worked (for me) as well on any other platform.)

After two days of trying photos I'm thoroughly disappointed.

The new timeline is totally disorganized. (I blame google for the trend of throwing things into big unorganized buckets, but ...)

- No geo-tagging which I use a lot considering I pull in images from my SLR quite a bit. I can't understate enough how useful this was.
- Search is a huge step backwards. Can't search by specific date or "star ratings"
- No way to add batch descriptions to a group of photos. This literally kills my import workflow. When did metadata become so insignificant?

(Of somewhat less importance) The UI now looks like something Microsoft came up with (Windows Photo Album anyone?)

Also: The file system is now disjointed. I don't think I can delete my original iPhoto library without harming my Photos library. So my images are now scattered across two libraries. I'll experiment with this later.

Cloud cost is too expensive. I have 300GB of photos. Since I can't selectively sync to the cloud, I can't take advantage of any of this feature. (It's all or nothing) So, I'm either forced now to deal with multiple libraries (which is one of the things I thought Photos was supposed to solve) or just simply not use the cloud sync. Since I have 1TB on OneDrive due to my O365 sub, it would be nice if I could leverage that.

Lastly, it's not any faster than iPhoto on my MacBook Pro Retina (i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). Maybe this is because I'm using a migrated iPhoto library, but I'm not going to throw away over a decade of family photos over a new app.

Summary:
I'll give it a few months to see if things improve, although I'll probably continue to use iPhoto for the short term. Too many things that are important to me that I'm giving up if I use this version Photos. In the meantime I'll look at alternatives to iPhoto, although I suspect most may be on Windows at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions? (Something similar to how iPhoto works)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2015, 12:43 PM

Oh my: Even worse, any geotagging that I previously added in iPhoto is MISSING in Photos. (Which is ALL of my DSLR photos)

Pure ... rubbish.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2015, 01:04 PM

... can't search on text contained in the description fields. (gasp)

I need to stop playing with this now. It's causing me a massive headache.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2015, 01:33 PM

The photos in Photos.app are hard linked to the same files in the iPhoto library. Deleting the complete library in the Finder will not affect the other app's data.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The photos in Photos.app are hard linked to the same files in the iPhoto library. Deleting the complete library in the Finder will not affect the other app's data.
So where are the images kept? The old iPhoto library bundle, or the new library created by Photos? Apple's KB article seems to indicate they are linked, which to me would indicate it's linked to the old library. (I was able to easily move that old library to other macs to use it)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2015, 04:00 PM

Both. That's what hard linking means. If you delete them in one place, the still exist in the other linked places.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2015, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Both. That's what hard linking means. If you delete them in one place, the still exist in the other linked places.
Yeah, got it. (Always forget hard links are weird abstract concepts.) Glad Apple is at least taking advantage of them here (and in Time Machine)

The weird part is that I was doing some dorking with the file system, and couldn't get it to break the link! (I made a change and it remained at reference # 2, even though iPhoto didn't reflect the change). Wondering if something wonky is going on.

But back to the current topic. Now that apparently iPhoto is dead (you can't even install it from the app store anymore) I have to be concerned about new builds and what-not. So, it's migrate or die. So, I'll use photos for now while I shop for a better solution. Maybe Photos will improve before I find one. (Or maybe the price of iCloud storage will come WAY down)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 26, 2015, 07:21 PM

I used to be the first to update to the latest and greatest but Photos just doesn't seem done. No naming of Events? Makes no sense to me. I have 36,000 photos (300 GB) in iPhoto, how would I quickly go to a life event? For example, we celebrated my wife's birthday 2 weeks later than normal. In iPhoto, it's just named "Wife's Birthday 2015". In Photos, it sounds like it would be listed just as a date? When i want to move those photos back to my iPhone (when I'm syncing with iTunes), how do I know which one is which without first going into iPhoto?

The editing functions look great; however, I rarely edit my photos. I don't use a Magic Trackpad either. I just don't see the draw to Photos yet. I love the idea of the whole library being backed up to the cloud, I just don't like the price. $10 for 500 GB? I can purchase a secondary, 3TB backup hard drive and and enclosure for $150-$175 (BTW, I already have a secondary and tertiary backup drives, one is stored off site).

I don't use the rating system and don't name my photos either. I do name the Events so that I can search later. Appears that is gone too (aside from previous, already name Events?).

Maybe I'm missing something or a lot of things.

andi*pandi
May 27, 2015, 12:19 PM

Events view has been superseded by the Years/Collections/Moments system used on iOS, which I personally find more useful.
I dislike this immensely in IOS, as mainly it seems to clomp all the photos together by location which is useless as I'm usually in the same few locations.

Hope iPhoto stays around for a while.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I dislike this immensely in IOS, as mainly it seems to clomp all the photos together by location which is useless as I'm usually in the same few locations.

Hope iPhoto stays around for a while.
Couldn't agree with you more.
iPhoto is already gone. It's no longer in the app store, and from what I understand, you can't even re-install it from your app history. (and I just confirmed that it no longer shows up in my history either).
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 29, 2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Couldn't agree with you more.
iPhoto is already gone. It's no longer in the app store, and from what I understand, you can't even re-install it from your app history. (and I just confirmed that it no longer shows up in my history either).
If you have an older version of iPhoto in your application folder it will show up in the updates list as updatable. If you delete it then, no it doesn't show up in the past purchases list. The only version of if that runs post 10.10.3 is the very latest version which was updated only a few days before Photo's came out and was then pulled from the app store so most of my clients have ended up with an iPhoto that needs updating in order to work.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
If you have an older version of iPhoto in your application folder it will show up in the updates list as updatable. If you delete it then, no it doesn't show up in the past purchases list. The only version of if that runs post 10.10.3 is the very latest version which was updated only a few days before Photo's came out and was then pulled from the app store so most of my clients have ended up with an iPhoto that needs updating in order to work.
Good to know.

But it also sounds like if you do a new system build (which wouldn't have the old iPhoto installed) then you are sort of screwed if you wanted to keep using iPhoto.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 29, 2015, 02:49 PM

annoyingly Mail.app still only offers an export to iPhoto option not export to photos. Come ON apple. It's your own photo's app!!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2015, 01:02 PM

As much as I liked iPhoto, I dislike Photos.

Does anyone know a good alternative to move to? (How is Lightroom?) I didn't like Picassa in the past, is it worth another look? I looked at Google Photos over the past few days and really don't like it either. (Would even consider paying for Dropbox but I feel like I'm dropping back a decade by using the file system to sort photos)

It doesn't HAVE to be on the Mac platform (although I'd prefer it), but to be honest iPhoto was one of two main reasons I liked using a Mac. (X Code being the other). However if there's something better on Windows I'm willing to use it.

What are the rest of you doing?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules