Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > "Mail" question

"Mail" question
Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2012, 11:13 AM

Hello ... I'm still using OS version 10.4.11. I use Apple's "Mail" program for all of my email. I've subscribed to a few different newsletters/email lists over the years. I don't seem to receive any email from some of them, even though I know of others who subscribe to the same newsletters and who do receive regular emails. I've contacted the people in charge of the lists/newsletters to ask them why I'm not receiving any email from them. They tell me that yes, they show that I am subscribed ... and that I should be receiving their email. They tell me to check my spam folder to see if their email is somehow being delivered there. As far as I can tell, I don't have any spam folders. As far as I know, all of my email goes to my inbox. If it looks "suspicious", it gets highlighted in a different color from the rest, thereby standing out. From there, it's up to me whether to label it "junk mail" or accept it.

So does anybody have an idea where these emails might be going ... and how I can set things up so that they're delivered to me instead of some kind of phantom folder?

As they say ... Thanks in advance!

Bob

P.S. The "Mail" program is Version 2.1.3.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2012, 12:12 PM

There should be an option to "Show the Junk Mail Folder" or similar. I'm not sure where it is in 10.4.11, have a look under the view menu.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2012, 01:45 PM

If junk mail filtering was switched on in 10.4, it showed the junk mail folder, IIRC.

I have one mail provider where I never even see the suspected spam, because it's moved to a folder online, before it ever gets to me.

Page14  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2012, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the replies!

Under the Mail program's "Preferences" tab, there is another tab labeled "Junk Mail". When I click on it, there is a box that says "Enable junk mail filtering" which is checked to be on. After clicking it on, options for more actions become available. The first option I have turned on is "When junk mail arrives: Leave it in my inbox, but indicate it is junk mail (Training)." Under that option is a list of different types of messages that I can choose to be exempt from junk mail filtering. FWIW, I selected all of the available options in the list to be exempt from junk mail filtering. (I can list them if that would help).

There is one more box at the bottom of the Junk Mail window that I have clicked "on". It says "Trust junk mail headers set by my Internet Service Provider".

I hope this helps. ??

Bob (aka Page14)

Forum Links
Forum Rules