Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Screen/Keyboard Protector

Powerbook Screen/Keyboard Protector
CrazyByoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2004, 06:36 PM

Hey everybody,

I just recently bought a new 15" Powerbook. This is the first laptop I've ever owned, and of course I'm going to totally baby this thing. I've heard of and seen people using a thin piece of fabric or rubberized cloth or something in between the keyboard and the display when they close it up. I've heard this is supposed to protect the display from being imprinted by the keys. Has anyone ever had issues with this? Is this even a problem? If so, where could I find a display protector thing?

Thanks!

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2004, 10:26 PM

Hey-o

Congrax on your PB purchase, I'm sure its gratuitious for me to wish you enjoyment on it, since you probably already do

Fabric or leather type things serve as a keyboard cover to prevent the screen and keys from ever touching each other when you close the PB lid. But I personally don't use it. I give my screen a wipedown every week or two.... since whatever oil and dirt you transfer to the screen from your keyboard should be cleaned out regularly anyways, and you are still going to get dust and the occasional fingerprint even with the keyboard protector.

I believe the rubberized thing you mentioned is protouch by iskin ... that is a thin transparent polymer skin that form-fits over the keyboard itself. I use this and I like it, since I work in a lab in a lab environment and it keeps dust and crude out of the keyboard, which is a bigger pain to clean than the screen.

hope that was helpful

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2004, 10:55 PM

I use the foamy cover that came with my PB. Its free (well kinda) and very thin.

I also wipe my screen with iKlear regularly.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2004, 11:42 PM

www.radtech.us

Nuff said.

LadyBlue
Apr 8, 2004, 11:59 PM

I use something called an iSkin. It's what you mentioned; the silicon pad over the keys.

I rather like it, but occasionally I get some marks on the screen. I think its cause I need to wash it more regularly or so. Otherwise it works wonders and I've gotten non-mac people kinda look at it w/ awe and jealosy.
I <3 Macs!

msSwitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 10:35 AM

I gotta admit, I first thought a screen protector for my 15" Albook was a good idea , but after purchasing one from TekServe here in NYC I realized that it did more harm than good on my machine . TekServe's protector is made from a thin ultra suede/chamois-type fabric that provides a nice cushion between the keyboard and the screen when the PB is closed. Last night when closing the PB I felt a bit of resistance with the screen protector in place but thought nothing of it. This morning upon opening my PB I noticed keyboard markings on my screen. Apparently the keyboard had pressed against the screen protector causing imprints on the screen. I cleaned the screen with Klear Screen and the markings went away, but that experience unnerved me enough to make me ditch my screen protector. Well, maybe not ditch it, but perhaps put it to better use as a dust cloth for cleaning the screen or keyboard, etc.
Love is a 15" AlBook 1.25 with Superdrive...

CWeider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 12:28 PM

I agree. I purchased the RadTech PB sleeve and screen protector. The sleeve is great, but I'm not sold on the benefit of the screen protector. Prior to purchase, I used the thin foam that shipped w/ the Powerbook and never saw marks on the screen. As soon as I started using the RadTech, I see horizontal lines where the key rows imprint through the screen protector and onto the display. Granted, it wipes right off w/ iKear, but given a choice between contact vs. no contact, I'm inclined not to use it. Has anyone had experience w/ the keys contacting the display on a new 17"?? I don't know how pliable the lid on the display is to pressure, and if it's a legitimate risk not to use a protector.

Chris

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by msSwitch:
This morning upon opening my PB I noticed keyboard markings on my screen. Apparently the keyboard had pressed against the screen protector causing imprints on the screen. I cleaned the screen with Klear Screen and the markings went away, but that experience unnerved me enough to make me ditch my screen protector.
It's a difficult situation -- the protector has to be thin enough so as not to put undue pressure on the screen hinges, but if it is thin, pressure from the keys will "imprint" on the screen nevertheless. I still think that the transfer of screen markings through the protector is better than having the keys directly contact the screen.

slaterecords
Apr 9, 2004, 12:45 PM

I would NEVER close your PB lid without something covering the keys. I ruined my screen and had to get it replaced doing so. Closing the lid without something between it and the keys will create an imprint of your keyboard on the screen from all of the dirt and oil your fingers leave behind.

I would be careful what you use however. Most commerical products are thick enough that they are hard on the hinges. I also consider then a wasteof money, since you can get something ever more effective for almost free. You will notice that the space between the lid and the rest of the unit is literally paper-thin when the lid is close. So, what should you use? Well, I'd recommend a piece of paper! That's what I have been using since I replaced my screen and haven't had any problems since.

Mapplex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 12:46 PM

I was speaking with a company a few years ago (can't remember the name now) to entertain the possibility of making a full screen film that would lightly adhere to the screen. (think PDA screen protector like this one except much bigger for a laptop screen)
The idea never really got off the ground but I still believe this would be the ideal solution as it would provide the most protection for the screen and the user wouldn't have to worry about losing it since it's always attached.

Shaun

slaterecords
Apr 9, 2004, 12:52 PM

Clear screen covers do exist, I've seen them on people's laptops.

Just pulled this up on Google...

http://www.macyummies.com/maibscpr.html

I have heard however, that they distort the color slightly, so beware of that if you need to be sure of true color.

Mapplex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 12:57 PM

ahh. thanks slaterecords, looks like this idea did get off the ground afterall. I'll have to get one of these and see how well it works. Here's another one I found:
http://www.macally.com/spec/speciali...protector.html

djjava
Senior User
Apr 9, 2004, 12:59 PM

Marware Keyboard Cover...

http://marware.com/keyboardcovers.html

It's excellent.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

bbbdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 01:02 PM

They rock. I first bought the neoprene sold at the mac store but got the radtech cloth instead and it works great.

dweebert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 01:10 PM

I just use a clean Swiffer on mine. It's exactly the right size to protect the 15", it's thin, and it even gives you something to wipe the dust off the screen with.

When the cloth gets dirty, you can easily clean it with a drop of soap and running water. Squeeze out as much of the water as you can, and then use it to wipe any accumulated gunk off your screen before hanging it to dry somewhere. (Of course, you'll need a dry, soft, lint-free cloth to pick up the tiny moisture droplets off the screen afterwards.)

You're probably best off to clean the Swiffer before use, actually, to remove any static electrical properties.

I've used the same Swiffer cloth for nearly two years now.

pahearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 01:18 PM

From day one I've simply used a regular sheet of paper towel, ala Brawny or whatever. Fold it in half and it's size perfectly covers the keyboard area. I noticed companies were selling protectors but there's really no need. I bought my G4-400Mhz TiBook when they just came out years ago and my screen is in perfect condition.

-p

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Marware Keyboard Cover...

http://marware.com/keyboardcovers.html

It's excellent.
I bought those last week and they are great!

It's a really thin plastic sheet that goes on the sreen. You just got to change this plastic sheet when it gets dirty.

So you don't have to bother if the keyboard will leave prints on the screen!

------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

macshome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 08:48 PM

Um. I just stick a scrap piece of 8.5x11 paper over my keyboard. If I loose it it's OK as I can get 500 more for just a few $.

I can't imagine loosing a $15 keyboard cover...

Convert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 11:34 PM

I was looking forward to sharing this tidbit. I bought the Radtech thing, but like others have said it leves its own marks. Works great to clean the screen, but not as a protector. So for the past months I've used a standard issue sheet of paper pulled from my printer and it works like a charm. It's also useful for jotting notes while on the phone.

Originally posted by macshome:
Um. I just stick a scrap piece of 8.5x11 paper over my keyboard. If I loose it it's OK as I can get 500 more for just a few $.

I can't imagine loosing a $15 keyboard cover...
...---...---...---...---...---...---...
The early bird may get the worm, but the early worm gets eaten!

Pennsyjohn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2004, 11:56 AM

Look, the easiest and cheapest is a piece of 8.5" by 11" paper trimmed to fit. When it gets dirty, all you do is trash it and make a new one. It comes no easier or cheaper, and a sheet of paper usually can do no damage to either the screen or the KB. And should it get trapped in the hinge or lock, it just tears and doesn't cause a jam.

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 01:33 PM

WildEepz from radtech are awesome. You don't need to worry about anything portable like a cloth or keyboard cover (not that its a huge worry).

I tried one of those micro-fiber cloths for a while but it just made a more "muted" imprint on the screen.

Good luck
"-Dodge This"

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by CWeider:
As soon as I started using the RadTech, I see horizontal lines where the key rows imprint through the screen protector and onto the display.
That's funny. I use the RadTech screen protector and never have marks on my screen (on a year-old TiPB).

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 06:33 PM

do these screen marks from your keyboard scratch your screen or can you just wipe it off?
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

KidKit
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 07:28 PM

Other than physical scratches on your LCD screens (shudder), oil and residues will come off with cleaning. Of course, if you leave oil and residue type marks on your screen long enough, that will corrode your LCD and it will become permanent. btw, the keyboard marks are not physical scratches, they are oil and residue your fingers leave on the keyboard.

CkB_Cowboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 12:02 AM

I have the simple cloth Marware one (already mentioned and linked in this thread) that's available for around $10 at the Apple store.

It works great, I've had no problems whatsoever!

- Cowboy
My ill-matic homepage:
http://rj3.net/
cowboy/

meatyocre
Apr 12, 2004, 10:07 AM

I have been using this combo on both of my PowerBooks with great success.

www.shaggymac.com has both an excellent micro-fiber screen protector and the Macally screen protector. This way my screen is pretty much bomb proof. I highly recommend this combo. Oh yeah a bottle of iKlear will safely clean any surface with ease and I use the ShaggyMac Cloth to wipe the screen with perfect results..

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 03:05 PM

What I really want to know is if this iSkin keyboard cover I just bought needs to be taken off when I close the lid. If anyone has experience with it, please send me a personal message! Theres enough room between the keyboard and my screen on my rev c 12in, but I don't want to make it too snug when closing the lid with my iSkin.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 03:08 PM

uh...the sheet that comes with the powerbook works great!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Forum Links
Forum Rules