Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any 3rd shifters here?

Any 3rd shifters here?
Railroader
Banned
Jul 20, 2005, 06:26 AM

At work and I'm just getting ready to go home. Switched to 3rd shift Monday and my body is still trying to get into the whole sleep during the day routine.

Any other graveyard shift loungers?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 08:39 AM

I use to; a while back. My problem though, was I then didn't sleep during the day. Lost a few extra years on my life that way. I got run down pretty quick.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 09:38 AM

Ouch. Sorry Kilbey. That sucks. Probably puts a strain on the family life too.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 09:55 AM

I used to work for a Newspaper doing 3:00pm - 12:30am

That was bad enough

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 10:30 AM

i'm usually in third when i'm in town.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 10:48 AM

I did it years ago: (11pm-7am work; 7am-2pm free time; 4pm-11pm sleep)

What worked for me:
1) I set a schedule (sleep, eat, etc.) and FORCED myself to stick to it.
2) I purchased dark blinds.
3) I purchased headphones that I could sleep with (played soft music and muffled out sounds that would wake me)

You may want to shift your sleep/free time depending upon what will give you the best sleep. Obviously, I found sleep to be the most difficult thing to deal with.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 11:07 AM

Not currently. I did work permanent nights 12mn to 8am, altogether with the Omaha VA and Boston VA it was about 15 years. Actually preferred to work at night. Less activity, but still very busy. I didn't have any problem with sleeping during the day. Would sleep from about 9am to 3pm. Then would go to bed from 7pm till 10:45pm.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 11:10 AM

I've done it. My natural schedule actually suits a second or swing shift very well: get up around noon, work from 5pm to 1 am, go to bed around 4 or 5 am. That schedule isn't set in stone: today I got up around 10am so I can go for a bike ride before work.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 12:00 PM

ME!

I work from 6:45PM to 6:55AM. I have been doing it for 4 years now and I am still a zombie.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 01:13 PM

Not me but my wife works 12 hour nights, 7PM to 7AM. It really works out pretty well. She is home in time to get the kids off to school, sleeps during the day, is up by the time they get home, has dinner with us, and then leaves for work around 6:30. She only works 3 days a week and actually gets to spend more time with us than if she worked days. She's been doing this now for about 5 years and so far it's working out pretty well.
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 02:43 PM

Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 20, 2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil
I use to; a while back. My problem though, was I then didn't sleep during the day. Lost a few extra years on my life that way. I got run down pretty quick.
The first time I did 3rd was a couple years ago. I didn't dedicate myself to a good sleep schedule, plus I had undiagnosed sleep apnea. Took some years off my life I am sure.

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Ouch. Sorry Kilbey. That sucks. Probably puts a strain on the family life too.
It's better than the 2nd shift I just left. Actually, 3rd is very good for us. I get home at 7:30 am go right ti bed, sleep to about 3 pm and have from 3 to 9:30 pm with the family. No strain!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
The first time I did 3rd was a couple years ago. I didn't dedicate myself to a good sleep schedule, plus I had undiagnosed sleep apnea. Took some years off my life I am sure.
i was changing backup tapes (old school reel-to-reel style) for EDS in the middle of the night for a few years when i first moved to the detroit area for college (from lansing area). it paid for booze, that was about it. but BORING. i could work on my homework though, so that helped some. so, with a combination of architecture school full-time and work part-time, i about died.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2005, 05:48 PM

I work 3rd shift, 11 to 7. I hate sleeping the day away, but I suppose it's better than working in the heat of the midday sun. (No, I don't get to work in an air conditioned office, sadly.) I do like the fact that we get away with a lot more on third shift than either of the other shifts.

By the way, it might just be my shop, but have any of you guys ever noticed how often the other 2 shifts try to blame problems on third shift just because we're not there to defend ourselves?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 07:21 PM

dassum big sig there nub.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2005, 07:39 PM

I currently work second shift, but we have mandatory overtime, and occasional I get stuck working doubles and don't get out until 07:30 if it’s busy. Those nights, well, I don't like them so much.

I worked third shift for about a year a my previous job, and although it was boring, it didn't effect my sleep because my place had no windows. Seriously, it was a loft space that didn't adjoin any exterior walls, so it was perfect for working graveyard. Although it did start to make me a little stir crazy in the winter when I would get out at six a.m., got to sleep about ten, wake up at about five, and never see the sun. It was worse for my dog though, screwed him all up, so he just started sleeping 22 hours a day.

iNub, the rules on sig graphics: 250X50, less than 10K
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules