Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guitar Sh*t Thread

Guitar Sh*t Thread
CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 02:37 PM

I was thinking about putting a new humbucker in my Fat Strat (HSS). The Tony Iommi ones look pretty good.

But I don't know what to get them in. I've also debated what my Strat should look like. Currently, it is metallic red with white knobs & widgets, with a yellow-ish mother of pearl pickguard, and a rosewood neck. I think the pickguard would look okay if it had no color, but I doubt anything can get that done. Right now, that pickguard is one ugly piece of ****. Puke color is not my thing, man.

My first idea: White pickguard with a black humbucker and black accessories.

Second idea: Black everything (pickguard, knobs, humbucker, etc.)

Third idea: Black pickguard with white single-coil covers, a chrome humbucker, and white knobs.

Fourth idea: Black pickguard with black single-coil covers, a black humbucker, and white knobs.

Any other ideas? BTW, do you think those black Jazz Bass knobs would fit on the Strat? Cuz I think that's be pretty sweet.

Second, if I was going to replace the single-coil neck pickup, what would ya sugguest? I mostly use it for blues stuff and some rock, like Deep Purple, SRV, and Cream. I was thinking an SRV Tex Mex or one of those vintage noiseless ones. Can you put a single-coil bridge pickup in the neck's place? My knowledge on wiring and stuff is minimal, to be quite honest. Should I even touch the middle one? I rarely use it.

Third, I have an opportunity to see Howe, Squire, and White at the Beacon Theatre in late August. Should I go? I am not up on their latest solo stuff, so does anyone know if it will be painful, or if it will be a night of Yes stuff?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 03:18 PM

Sell it and buy a Gibson. Strats are teh suck!!11!

But if you can't do that, it would always look good with a white PG and knobs, black pickups. Or, black everything.

DiMarzio is still making some decent pickups -- don't forget about them.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 03:24 PM

I really like the dark, dark coal look. Almost black and satin finish. No chrome. I've seen it around, but can only think of one of Peter Steele's basses (Type-O). White does nothing for me on an instrument, unless you're playing with some kind of ice theme like Maiden did with 7th Son. I'd assume black works for you.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Sell it and buy a Gibson. Strats are teh suck!!11!

But if you can't do that, it would always look good with a white PG and knobs, black pickups. Or, black everything.

DiMarzio is still making some decent pickups -- don't forget about them.

Maury
Ha! Started with a Strat, played a Gibson for a few years, went back to the Strat. You can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead, callused fingers.

Black would look good with the red. My Strat has a satin red finish with black pickguard and pickups, and I like it better than the white variation. As for pickups, DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan are each a good choice for pickups.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 03:33 PM

What about black pickups & covers on a white pickguard with jazz bass knobs. Hehe.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by CreepingDeth
I was thinking about putting a new humbucker in my Fat Strat (HSS). The Tony Iommi ones look pretty good.
Dimarzio Tone Zone or Lace Sensor Dually Red/Gold.

But I don't know what to get them in.
Are you going HSH?

I've also debated what my Strat should look like.
http://www.greggrogersguitars.com/Pa...%20replmnt.htm

Second, if I was going to replace the single-coil neck pickup, what would ya sugguest?
Duncan Lil Screamin' Demon, Dimarzio HS2 or Lace Sensor Blue.

(I'm leaning towards the Lace all-round)

Can you put a single-coil bridge pickup in the neck's place?
Only if they're not volume matched. If they're stock, they won't be so you'll be OK.

Have a look around http://www.warmoth.com - some good stuff (and ideas in the gallery) there.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Sell it and buy a Gibson.
Best Gibson I ever heard was a hollow-body Warmoth strat.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 01:25 AM

Um, there has to be something white. With chrome tuning machines, bridge, and jack plate, all black would look inconsistent.

White pickguard, black single coil covers, black humbucker,and jazz bass knobs (if they can fit…anyone know?).

That or black pickguard, black single-coil covers, black humbucker, and whitek knobs.

****, I wish I could decide.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 03:44 PM

Hit it with a hammer, cover it with lighter fluid and set light to it.

You big girl.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 03:47 PM

By 'Recently OD'ed on intoxicating substance' translator tells me you think I should reenact one of Hendrix's not-so-greatest moments on over $300 worth of wood, wires, and metal.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 03:56 PM

over $300 worth of wood, wires, and metal.
So it's a Mexican model then?
If so, watch it with those new scratchplate purchases - IIRC most are 11-holed for USA models and the Mex models are different.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:00 PM

I can drill new holes. I'll just buy a regular white pickguard from Fender (H/S/S). Black knobs (Jazz Bass if they fit, black 'bucker, black single coil covers, and a black end on the little selector thing.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:06 PM

Dude, go to the Warmoth site. You're throwing your money down the pan if you buy off Fender. Seriously.

Yep, your Jazz knobs will fit. I've never tried it but I'm pretty sure there won't be any problems.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:13 PM

Why? Basically same price.

Wonder where Zimphy is. Bloke didn't even reply to the thread.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 04:23 PM

Why? Basically same price.
Hmmm... Fender must have changed their pricing policy lately or Fender UK are a bunch of rip-off merchants. Must admit I haven't looked for a couple of years.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2005, 06:36 PM

Just get a PRS and be done with it

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 09:48 PM

What part of 'I don't gots $400' don't you guys understand?

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 10:27 PM

My guitar is a "vintage" Fender, and though I've always wanted to get new pickups myself, I've been told not to because it will reduce the "resale value". So, I contune to suffer with really crappy electronics inside my old mustang. If I ever decide to get new ones, I'll have to get over my "resale" induced phobia first.

Was this an issue for you, creeping? Or is it a new guitar?
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 10:42 PM

I guess it was pretty new. Bought it used. Looks like it never saw much action. Only way I could afford it. The Squire neck felt iffy, so I was delighted when the local shop said they had a real Fender at the same price. I really don't care for the red. Better than teal, I suppose. I think my dream is an SRV strat or a totally white Strat with maybe some little additions here and there. Like one of Hendrix's, except I wouldn't play it left-handed, in my case.

God I wish I had some money. So much **** I wanna buy.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 07:23 AM

Hey Sherwin, I decided that I wanted the Iommi humbucker for my bridge pickup. I need that Sabbath growl.

Neck: Like I said, this is used mostly for bluesy stuff. If it can't play Cream or SRV, then I don't wanna get it. The DiMarzio HS-2 looks good, but I think I'm leaning towards the Lace. Taking my tastes and what I use the position for, which color would ya suggest? I don't want the red (I already have a 'bucker for that sound) and it needs to have nice harmonics. The stock Mexican ones are so noisy. I'm not sure which one, the Gold or the Silver, will give me the sound I bought a Strat for.

Middle: You know…I haven't figured out what the middle's for. Can you tell me what the hell you're supposed to use it for? I haven't gotten a novel sound out of it. Considering the two pickups I'm leaning towards, what would compliment them. Remember, it's still a H/S/S deal.
( Last edited by CreepingDeth; Jul 17, 2005 at 07:33 AM. )

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 07:44 AM

Hey Sherwin, I decided that I wanted the Iommi humbucker for my bridge pickup. I need that Sabbath growl.
OK, but I don't think popping the Iommi bucker in will give you that sound. Not without you getting a mahogany body and dropping your tuning five semitones. Oh, and chopping the ends of your fingers off.

Neck: Like I said, this is used mostly for bluesy stuff. If it can't play Cream or SRV, then I don't wanna get it. The DiMarzio HS-2 looks good, but I think I'm leaning towards the Lace. Taking my tastes and what I use the position for, which color would ya suggest? I don't want the red (I already have a 'bucker for that sound) and it needs to have nice harmonics.
I'd go Blue.

Middle: You know…I haven't figured out what the middle's for. Can you tell me what the hell you're supposed to use it for? I haven't gotten a novel sound out of it. Considering the two pickups I'm leaning towards, what would compliment them. Remember, it's still a H/S/S deal.
No idea in your case. I'm an HSH guy and thus use the middle any time I want a single-coil sound. As for what to put in, maybe just go with something that's a true single coil sound with less noise? I don't know, I'm not big on the middle pup.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sherwin
OK, but I don't think popping the Iommi bucker in will give you that sound. Not without you getting a mahogany body and dropping your tuning five semitones. Oh, and chopping the ends of your fingers off.
I think the lowest he ever got was three half steps on MoR. Don't forget the extra light strings. Hehe. Approximation is good enough. I just want the bastard to growl without being metal-centric. From what I've read, it's fairly versatile.

What do you think about these?
DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Blues
DiMarzio Blue Velvet
Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues

I hope you can put the Heavy Blues in the neck. Then maybe a Lace blue or silver in the middle. The stock middle is sorta bland. Sounds even cleaner than the neck.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 08:07 AM

No idea dude, never heard them. I tend to stick around Lace, Duncan and EMG. Got some Paf Pros in the old Ibanezs (what the heck is the plural of Ibanez?) and know the Malmsteen setup but that's about it for DiMarzios.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 08:15 AM

Ahh, ****.

Oh well. Um, is there any way I can check and see if the holes on the warmoth pickguards match my Mexi Strat?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 08:22 AM

Oh well. Um, is there any way I can check and see if the holes on the warmoth pickguards match my Mexi Strat?
Yeah. Take your guard off and have a look where the holes are then compare it with the mounting hole diagram.

http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pi...ckguards_strat

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 08:29 AM

11 hole…
#11 looks a tad low on mine. Maybe just the diagram.
#4 is higher.

The rest look okay. What will this require of me and how will it affect the look.
Should I replace anything else, like the nut, jack plate, etc.?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 08:42 AM

11 hole…
#11 looks a tad low on mine. Maybe just the diagram.
#4 is higher.

The rest look okay. What will this require of me and how will it affect the look.
OK... You're probably going to have to redrill the holes. No biggie. Just drill the new ones in their correct place (taking it slowly so you don't crack the finish. Use common sense - don't use a larger than required drill bit! Measure twice, cut once!). Plug the old ones using wood plugs and some wood glue.

It won't affect the look at all.

Should I replace anything else, like the nut, jack plate, etc.?
Narh. Not worth the hassle unless you have specific requirements.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 08:47 AM

Won't those old holes looks sorta funky?

Well, IMHO, a black tremolo bridge, tuning machines, and jack plate would look great. Expensive to replace. Once I get da bling bling I might do that.

What's your favorite kind of finger board? I don't think I've used anything besides rosewood.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:04 AM

Won't those old holes looks sorta funky?
They'll be under the scratchplate and thus quite difficult to see.

What's your favorite kind of finger board? I don't think I've used anything besides rosewood.
I'm a maple man.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:08 AM

Well…anything else?

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:11 AM

Anything else what?

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:14 AM

Sugguestions and whatnot. I dunno.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 09:14 AM

Just do it. </lame>

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:18 AM

Thanks cubeoid. You're broken sig and original saying have inspired me to write a bolero.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 09:24 AM

What Cubeoid said.

Oh. And drink more mead.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 10:37 AM

Neck: Heavy Blues, Solo, or Lace Sensor
Middle: YJM
Bridge: Pearly Gates or Iommi bucker

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 10:39 AM

What part of 'I don't gots $400' don't you guys understand?
$400? you think you can get a PRS for $400?

I got mine USED for $600, and people STILL don't believe me.

Considering it retailed for $3,000 new.

I was told I got the deal of the century. I think the guy just needed the money real bad.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sherwin
But he is right. A strat with a humbucker, will sound like a strat with a humbucker.
And yes, the tuning down is a big part of that sound. Not to mention the scale length.
No idea in your case. I'm an HSH guy and thus use the middle any time I want a single-coil sound. As for what to put in, maybe just go with something that's a true single coil sound with less noise? I don't know, I'm not big on the middle pup.
Or he could get a regular humbucker that you can coil tap.

CD does your Strat have a SC SC HUM or is it all single coils?

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 10:49 AM

There's a humbucker on the bridge, and single coils in the neck and bridge positions. I want the neck to remain tubular and bluesy, but I want the bridge to be loud and distorted, but still be somewhat versatile.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Or he could get a regular humbucker that you can coil tap.
I'm a simple guy with simple tastes.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 17, 2005, 10:53 AM

There's a humbucker on the bridge, and single coils in the neck and bridge positions. I want the neck to remain tubular and bluesy, but I want the bridge to be loud and distorted, but still be somewhat versatile.
Loud & distorted gives you just that. Not too great of a sound however IMHO.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 10:32 AM

Ok, how bout this:

Neck: DiMarzio YJM: For that really warm sound that I love. From what I've read, it doesn't really mess with Strat sound.

Middle: DiMarzio Virtual Heavy Blues: Said to sound like Texas Specials, but without the noise. Would make a nice mix between the bucker and the YJM pickup.

Bridge: Not sure, but the PAF Joe (Satriani, of course) looks good. Anything better? I'd like it to be warm, versatile, and nice with overdrive. It should be good to play with at least classic rock.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:34 AM

Get a DiMarzio Tone Zone for the bridge.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 10:36 AM

Past experience? The PAF Joe is supposed to sound 'tubular.'

[Damn you're fast]

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Get a DiMarzio Tone Zone for the bridge.
Good choice.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:37 AM

Past experience?

[Damn you're fast]
Yeah I had one in a Ibanez I owned. Nice pickup. Plenty of gain without sucking note characteristics out.

Not sure about Joe's pickup however.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:39 AM

The PAF Joe is supposed to sound 'tubular.'
Avoid Joe's pickups. The PAF Pro is more versatile if you're looking PAF anything. But, as Zimph says; get a Tone Zone.

CreepingDeth  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 10:41 AM

Seems a little weak on the treble, but alright. Um, when I replace the stock pickups sometime in the future, what's in going to cost (roughly) for wiring and stuff? I am not good with that stuff, and it's better to have someone else to blame.

Sherwin, what's with the new account?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:43 AM

Creeping, a better place to get more answers than just us two would be...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/index.php?s=

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:45 AM

Seems a little weak on the treble, but alright. Um, when I replace the stock pickups sometime in the future, what's in going to cost (roughly) for wiring and stuff? I am not good with that stuff, and it's better to have someone else to blame.
$200 tops if you shop around?

Sherwin, what's with the new account?
I watched too many movies the other day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules