Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple TV deal breaker (for me anyway)

Apple TV deal breaker (for me anyway) (Page 3)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Why have a hard drive?

I'm obviously missing something.
If I was playing Unreal Tournament, and a family member started streaming stuff off my laptop, the give-away would probably be single digit frame-rates.

With a hard-drive, the tv can play media without taxing the computer. Hell, the computer doesn't even need to be home.

Also, imagine taking your tv to a family event, hooking it up to your uncle's ultra-huge plasma display, and showing off your pics, vids, and music.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Also, imagine taking your tv to a family event, hooking it up to your uncle's ultra-huge plasma display, and showing off your pics, vids, and music.

Um, yeah. The iPod has been able to do that for a while now. And its a lot smaller and easier to transport.

Even if you insist on saying "what about plasmas and HDTVs" the chances are you have a DVD player with RCA inputs somewhere on it.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Your wife is a textile worker from the early 1800s?

Luddite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No. As the very article you cited states:
In recent years, the terms Luddism and Luddite or Neo-Luddism and Neo-Luddite have become synonymous with anyone who opposes the advance of technology due to the cultural changes that are associated with it (emphasis added).
Besides, she's only forty-four.
( Last edited by selowitch; Jan 27, 2007 at 12:10 AM. )

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Ya but isn't it a bit odd to pay for a device with HD out and 802.11n and all that fancy stuff, if you're just going to use it as an iPod? I don't understand why you considered the Apple TV to begin with, since it's for TV, not music/karaoke/visualizations.
My TV has good speakers hooked up to it. Currently the Xbox Media Center can connect to my iTunes share, no need to shuffle cables and I can control it from the couch. It is a killer setup, the cpu is a little slow however for h264 encoded movies.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post
Um, yeah. The iPod has been able to do that for a while now. And its a lot smaller and easier to transport.
Oh, I agree. But handing the remote to your Grandma would be new.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Langdon View Post

Even if you insist on saying "what about plasmas and HDTVs" the chances are you have a DVD player with RCA inputs somewhere on it.
The iPod plays video at a 320x240 framerate. Not HD.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2007, 11:06 PM

The iPod can display 640x480 on external screens. Even there, it's nowhere near 1280x720.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
The iPod can display 640x480 on external screens. Even there, it's nowhere near 1280x720.
It scales it to 640x480, but it's 320x240 natively (right?).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 12:28 AM

It scales it to 640x480, but it's 320x240 natively (right?).
No, it can play 640x480 video. All of the movies and some of the TV shows on the iTunes store are 640x480 (or whatever vertical resolution fits the aspect ratio)

The tv can play 1280x720, but only movie trailers from Apple or videos you encode yourself.

"I start fires!"

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2007, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3 View Post
No, it can play 640x480 video. All of the movies and some of the TV shows on the iTunes store are 640x480 (or whatever vertical resolution fits the aspect ratio)

The tv can play 1280x720, but only movie trailers from Apple or videos you encode yourself.
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 01:12 AM

The iPod plays video at a 320x240 framerate. Not HD.

Right, but that's not the point. We're not talking about bringing over a copy of Sin City on your iPod so you can watch it at a relative's home. We are talking about personal media content... pictures, home movies, and MP3s as the person I was responding to mentioned.

So what if the iPod can't do HD quality. I was talking about the portability of the tv and how its not really meant to be a carry along electronic device like the Video iPod is.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2007, 09:14 AM

Does everyone, or anyone, think tv will eventually become the pvr/dvr device many hoped it would be?

I was also hoping it would stream broadcast tv to other machines around the home ...
( Last edited by OB1; Jan 27, 2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo)
tin pot, garden shed

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2007, 10:13 AM

I'm still considering getting one, but I'm going to wait and see how the reviews turn out.

If you can encode a DVD easily for the tv, I'll consider it. If it's a pain, I'm out.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
If you can encode a DVD easily for the tv, I'll consider it. If it's a pain, I'm out.
Lots of free DVD ripping utilities out there. Handbrake is my fav.

Forum Links
Forum Rules