Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guys - Doing much to improve your appearance?

Guys - Doing much to improve your appearance? (Page 2)
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 12:49 PM

no offense taken.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 02:01 PM

Deodorant isn't an option for me, as I sweat pretty easily. I prefer colder temperatures, so if I start any type of physical activity, I get warm fast. I'm just coming to realize that I have fairly sensitive skin. For a couple days after swimming in a chlorinated pool, my skin feels irritated and prickly and is slightly red, wearing clothes washed in certain kinds of laundry detergent causes irritation, and using gel deodorants makes my pits break out.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Deodorant isn't an option for me, as I sweat pretty easily. I prefer colder temperatures, so if I start any type of physical activity, I get warm fast. I'm just coming to realize that I have fairly sensitive skin.
Ditto.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Deodorant isn't an option for me, as I sweat pretty easily. I prefer colder temperatures, so if I start any type of physical activity, I get warm fast. I'm just coming to realize that I have fairly sensitive skin. For a couple days after swimming in a chlorinated pool, my skin feels irritated and prickly and is slightly red, wearing clothes washed in certain kinds of laundry detergent causes irritation, and using gel deodorants makes my pits break out.
"antiperspirant"

I see a hair stylist every ~5 weeks, wax my hair. Exfoliate regularly, shower daily (obviously), go to the gym (running and swimming, not into the whole "muscle" look), eat well etc..
I'd whiten my teeth if needed, pluck my eyebrows if needed (uni-brow--) and generally maintain a decent appearance.

Cologne on nights out.

I can't imagine ever not wearing deodorant or antiperspirant.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
"antiperspirant"
Yeah, I'm using Right Guard anti-perspirant/deodorant. But even something like an intense gaming session will cause my pits to sweat. Which is why I shower once or usually twice a day.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 03:04 PM

Shower daily, sometimes twice in the summer. Shave entire head every other day, except for goatee and 'stache. Use antipersperant, ocassionally cologne. Keep nose and ear hair and hair in between eyebrows trimmed every few days. Trim the mustache weekly, and the goatee about every other month, although i'm thinking of letting it grow really long. Skin is very dry in winter, so i use lotion every night on hands, as they tend to dry and crack severely. I got a 1/2 inch slice on one of my fingers when moving a week ago, and it refuses to close up and heal.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
No, I believe Moon is a bessonite.
Not really I have fun trying to get him all fired up. So far I haven't been able too. Any suggestions are welcome.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 05:51 PM

Put triangles in your sig.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 06:09 PM

I have to use tweezers on my eyebrows every week and a half or so, just because I'd look like Eugene Levy if I didn't. My wife had me go get them waxed (only around the edges) right before our wedding, but immediately I told her, "Never again."

I shower about twice a day, trim up my sideburns once a week, shave about three times a week, always wear deodorant and AXE, usually wear cologne (a casual one for daily, dressier one for church), clip my body hair (but never shave it entirely), brush/floss all the time, and sometimes use the Crest white strips.

I know that sounds like a lot, but I'd consider myself far from metro.

CKr
Feb 4, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
Shower daily, sometimes twice in the summer. Shave entire head every other day, except for goatee and 'stache. Use antipersperant, ocassionally cologne. Keep nose and ear hair and hair in between eyebrows trimmed every few days. Trim the mustache weekly, and the goatee about every other month, although i'm thinking of letting it grow really long. Skin is very dry in winter, so i use lotion every night on hands, as they tend to dry and crack severely. I got a 1/2 inch slice on one of my fingers when moving a week ago, and it refuses to close up and heal.
Ditto on the cut, I can't get a good slice to heal on the tip of my thumb right now.

I shower once and sometimes twice a day, wash my face twice a day with face wash and use facial cream. Deodorant is a must, and I have cologne that I use regularly (nothing overwhelming). I have a trimmer that I shave with, I can't use a bladed razor on my skin anymore, it just irritates the heck out of it.

I have somewhat long hair that adds to the after shower fun of having to dry and comb it. Having hair is a lot of work and makes me appreciate some of the women who have nice hair a bit more.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 07:24 PM

Not much, really. Shower daily, condition occasionally. Deodorant goes on every morning, teeth brushed twice a day, hair cut every 4-6 weeks, shave every few days (I couldn't grow a full beard to save my life). That pretty much covers it. Which, sadly enough, is a lot more than I can say for some of the people in my computer science courses...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Sage
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 07:45 PM

Shave every day (every other day if I’m feeling particularly lazy), deodorant, and some lotion on my face (otherwise it dries up and cracks and hurts). Uh, that’s it, other than whitening my teeth once a year.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 09:11 PM

Shower daily, been trying to hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week (not always happening), shaving when needed (I be lazy), imported deoderent.... occasionally plucking of the random hairs.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 10:12 PM

For those who are sensitive to deodorant, try Tom's of Maine
http://www.tomsofmaine.com/

Most common deodorants irritate my skin, but Tom's calendula stick doesn't. It is probably a little less effective than other brands for odor, but it does the job. This is not an antiperspirant though.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 10:37 PM

Wow. You guys are a lot more fastidious about this crap than I am, and I'm a chick.

I haven't gotten my hair cut in nearly a year, and I'm the only girl I know who doesn't do much with her brows. I don't have a unibrow or anything, but they're pretty big. Plucking hurts like hell (I have freakily sensitive skin), and waxing costs too much. I take showers like three or four times a week because I'm just too lazy or busy to do them nightly (I can't in the mornings - I like to sleep in and it takes a good ten minutes to get my hair dry enough that it doesn't freeze the moment I step outside). I shave under the arms when I remember to, but I rarely-if-ever do my legs in the winter unless I'm going to be wearing a skirt. It's not worth the effort. When I do, though, I use the boyfriend's Norelco. No women's razor exists that's as good as that sucker.

My hair was butch-girl short for four years solely because it was so much easier to deal with than long girly hair....so, yeah.

Oh, and as far as the comments about working out go...I weigh like four pounds and don't have to do anything to maintain it, so I look like I'm anorexic but I have the physical stamina of a four-hundred-pound fatass.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Hawkeye
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2007, 10:51 PM

So, after reading these posts, all I could think of was American Psycho:

I believe in taking care of myself, in a balanced diet, in a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.
After I remove the icepack, I use a deep pore-cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water-activated gel cleanser, then a honey-almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.
Then I apply an herb mint facial masque which I leave on for ten minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine.
I always use an after-shave lotion with little or no alcohol because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm, followed by a final moisturizing "protective" lotion...

My own personal routine is a face scrub, shave, anti-bacterial facewash, shampoo/conditioner, body wash (with a loofah weekly), face lotion with sunblock, body lotion and antiperspirant/deoderant followed by cologne. (In the defense of those who have confessed to not wearing a deoderant, I sometimes skip a day depending on my activity level and the time of year. I don't perspire very much and can easily get away with it to the amazement of everyone.)

Bed time is a facewash followed with and anit-aging/anti-wrinkle-type mousturizer.

I tan from time to time (bad for the skin, I know), work out when I can, and take a multivitamin (supplemented with Vit. C) daily. I have friends with comperable routines and I have friends who I'm amazed to see a bar of soap and a bottle of shampoo in their showers.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 10:58 PM

I'm pretty low-key in the personal-grooming department. I do the basic cleanliness bit but no major "treatments" to keep myself looking purty. Here's the routine.
  • Shower almost daily (maybe skip a day on the weekend if I am just bumming around)
  • I use moisturizing bath soap in the winter time because of dry skin
  • Shampoo the hair twice a week (I don't have a lot to begin with)
  • Deodorant is Old Spice anti-perspirant/deodorant (I sweat like crazy year-round, nothing else I have tried keeps me dry and NOT smelly)
  • No cologne or after-shave
  • Brush the teeth twice a day (prolly should use whitening strips as I smoke a pipe, but I don't)
  • Trim the beard every couple of days with an electric trimmer
  • Cut my hair every 4-6 weeks with the same electric trimmer (It's actually a hair cutter I just use a short blade guard for the beard)
  • I do my eyebrows when I cut my air, again with the trimmer
  • Trim the naughty bits every 2-3 months with the same electric trimmer
No exfoliants, loofahs, body washes, or mani/pedicures. It's just not my thing. And I don't have too much trouble getting a date so I don't seem to be scaring away the ladies. But I *am* low maintenance and deliberately so. Anything more than the basics seems like too much work and a waste of time. I am impressed with all you guys who go all out with your grooming. I hope it pays off with the ladies/fellas.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
I don't wear deodorant either - I just wash at least once a day.
Me too... I'm over 40 and haven't worn anything on my armpits since highschool. I think it's an addiction.... it gets you hooked and then you have to use it... I bet there's something in it that makes more use necessary. Otherwise why do some people never use it and are fine, and others think you HAVE to use it or you'll stink?
( Last edited by mrtew; Feb 5, 2007 at 08:27 PM. )

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 08:39 PM

Some people are stinkier than others. I can go without it if I really WANTED to.

People have different sweat, and people sweat different amounts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules