Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bad week for Obama...

Bad week for Obama... (Page 2)
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 08:12 AM

Per Rasmussen Report;

- 37% of Americans support the stimulus package.
- 50% believe the stimulus package will actually make things worse.
- 50/50 split on Obama's move from hope to fear to get it passed.

Due to campaign clarifications such as;
transparency = Closed doors, obfuscation, paper copies of 700+ page documents instead of the normal electronic copies for simpler perusal, and pulling pet agendas into the whitehouse.
no earmarks and pork = $790 billion in earmarks and pork
pay as you go = unprecedented spending without a funding mechanism or an exit strategy.
bipartisanship = indicting Republicans for petty partisan politics

I'm thinking as long as you're going to be indicted by the left for petty partisan politics by simply challenging the historically failed path we're about to embark, it's time to start a weekly Presidential approval ratings watch. What can I say, it's a heavy crown. I'm sure Bush warned him.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

It's Abe.

-t
Ummm ... isn't Abe generally a *huge* Bush supporter?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Ummm ... isn't Abe generally a *huge* Bush supporter?
Abe is a PWL troll, in the first place. Baby Obama only knows how the schizophrenia affects his different nicks and their political views...

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 11:50 AM

Abe is a PWL troll, in the first place. Baby Obama only knows how the schizophrenia affects his different nicks and their political views...

-t
While it's true that the Abe account has exhibited several distinct personas, I can't remember one that was actually anti-Bush.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 12:04 PM

While it's true that the Abe account has exhibited several distinct personas, I can't remember one that was actually anti-Bush.
Perhaps you are right. I never bothered to categorize and analyze Abe's political views.

So maybe, this is Abe's son ?

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 12:18 PM

So maybe, this is Abe's son ?

-t
Or maybe the guy he provided 'favors' for?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I'm thinking as long as you're going to be indicted by the left for petty partisan politics by simply challenging the historically failed path we're about to embark, it's time to start a weekly Presidential approval ratings watch. What can I say, it's a heavy crown. I'm sure Bush warned him.
Of course, as long as Obama is over 50%, every story in the media about him or his policy will mention how "popular" he is and they will start "push polling" to try and keep his numbers over 50% to manipulate public opinion the way they did during the Clinton administration and how they did the exact opposite for Bush (with quotes like "increasingly unpopular" thrown about liberally).

You won't see a mention of poll numbers if Obama's popularity starts to wane in the coming months. That's what happened to Clinton and by the time 94 came, Bill and the media had no idea what hit them.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Feb 15, 2009 at 01:33 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Or maybe the guy he provided 'favors' for?
BINGO

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Of course, as long as Obama is over 50%, every story in the media about him or his policy will mention how "popular" he is
That doesn't sound much different from Conservatives referring to Bush's 49%-popular-vote victory as a "landslide".

stupendousman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2009, 01:35 PM

That doesn't sound much different from Conservatives referring to Bush's 49%-popular-vote victory as a "landslide".
I don't think that was reflected by anyone in the "mainstream". I can't remember myself anyone saying either of Bush's victories where a "landslide" but I'm sure some fringe loyalist may have said that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 02:22 PM

I think the closest thing that Bush supporters said to that was that he got the highest number of votes of any president in history.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kido331
Mar 25, 2009, 12:21 PM

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 01:02 PM

I've stepped out of the economy debate. I don't know what's going on. When I listen to the radio on the market, it seems that half the investors and economists say we're on the right track, and the other half is saying we're going the wrong direction.

Letting the companies go out of business would mean huge job loss and loss of homes at an unprecedented scale. However, it seems like we're just throwing money at these large banks and investment firms and watching it go down a hole.

It's hard -- for me, anyway -- to see how this is all working.

I think calling it a failed stimulus plan, a failed presidency, etc. only a few months in is pretty ridiculous. I'm gonna take the sit, wait, and see what happens strategy.

I doubt very much that many of you even understand a fraction of what's going on with the economy.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 01:08 PM

I'm with you Pigeon. It is easy to blather on about stuff thinking that you have sufficient information when you don't, and it is easy for the digestion of the information you have at your disposal to be tainted by partisan politics. This includes my own interpretation and understanding, I'm speaking purely hypothetically.

I'm also taking a wait and see approach...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 03:24 PM

If your net worth has increased steadily during this crisis, it would seem you have a pretty good idea of "what's going on with the economy". It's just unfortunate that we have so many fiscal idiots in positions of power (in major corporations and government).

Here's the key to all of this: If your infrastructure is rotten, no amount of money will fix your problems. I think it's pretty clear that we elected the wrong presidential candidate, and I was wrong for not voting for McCain.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 03:27 PM

I honestly don't think McCain would have done anything different.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If your net worth has increased steadily during this crisis, it would seem you have a pretty good idea of "what's going on with the economy". It's just unfortunate that we have so many fiscal idiots in positions of power (in major corporations and government).

Here's the key to all of this: If your infrastructure is rotten, no amount of money will fix your problems. I think it's pretty clear that we elected the wrong presidential candidate, and I was wrong for not voting for McCain.
I'm honestly curious, since we were well into the recession at the time of the election: how have you been disappointed with respect to what Obama said he would do and what he has actually done?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I honestly don't think McCain would have done anything different.
I strongly doubt he would have thrown as much money at this problem, and he probably would have chosen a better cabinet (it couldn't have been much worse).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 04:23 PM

I'm honestly curious, since we were well into the recession at the time of the election: how have you been disappointed with respect to what Obama said he would do and what he has actually done?
Disappointed? Not at all. He's done exactly what I expected he would do. The problem is, you can't borrow and spend your way out of this.

To use an analogy: I'm sitting in the passenger seat of a car that's out of control and heading towards a brick wall, but there's 3" of plexiglass between me and the driver and I can't do anything to stop it. As it is, I can only accumulate assets and relax before impact.
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2009, 07:16 PM

Pay as you go? Nope.
Transparency? Nope.
Bipartisanship? Nope.
Tax cuts for lower and middle class? Not in the budget.

Granted, I'm disappointed by the direction of the country just as I was disappointed at the direction of the country well into the recession. I don't see change. I see politics as usual; change I could count on.

Bad week for Obama? Yeah, I'd say so. I'd say horrible capped off by Geitner talking about international currency. These people are out of friggin' control. Is Obama gonna get this moron some help soon? I mean, he's snapping for crying out loud.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2009, 07:37 PM

A single international currency is the next step in establishing a New World Order.

Heh, and people were worried about PNAC...
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2009, 09:56 AM

As it is, I can only accumulate assets and relax before impact.
This is the correct answer, people.

Or you can wait and see what happens while they pump the Pax (I'm looking at you, ole).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2009, 10:01 AM

As it is, I can only accumulate assets and relax before impact.
You could also pray

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules