Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Formac LCD's

Formac LCD's
cobra7869
Feb 6, 2003, 12:21 PM

I am in the market for a flat panel. Considering 20" Apple and the Formac 20 inch or 17" (only cause they are more expensive) I've seen the Apple, does anyone have any experience with the Formac LCD's? I'd love to get some feeback.

Thanks

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
I am in the market for a flat panel. Considering 20" Apple and the Formac 20 inch or 17" (only cause they are more expensive) I've seen the Apple, does anyone have any experience with the Formac LCD's? I'd love to get some feeback.

Thanks

I Have used and seen 17.4" ans 20" model of Formacs. They are one of the best LCD-displays out there! Both models are using Fujitsus MVA displays technology.

A great choise if you decide to buy one!

Rick Johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 02:17 PM

I bought the Formac 2010 in September, and it finally arrived in December. As shipped, the picture is too bright and too blue. After using the calibration tools in the Displays control panel, the colors were overall very nice, but when working on grayscale images I can see that there's a red cast in the highlights and a blue cast in the shadows. In January I bought the Formac calibrator, but 1) the software only runs in Classic (I run Jaguar) and 2) the profiles it creates are not nearly as good as the one I eyeballed using the control panel. The $1700 monitor plus $250 calibrator totals only $50 less than the current 23" Cinema display, and I'd probably have to upgrade my calibration software, for $200+ more, to the full OptiCal program to get color as good as my blue 21" Studio Display had. If only that CRT had just lasted a few more months before dying prematurely! I'd recommend taking a serious look at the Apple 20" or 23" LCDs.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Rick Johnson:
I bought the Formac 2010 in September, and it finally arrived in December. As shipped, the picture is too bright and too blue. After using the calibration tools in the Displays control panel, the colors were overall very nice, but when working on grayscale images I can see that there's a red cast in the highlights and a blue cast in the shadows. In January I bought the Formac calibrator, but 1) the software only runs in Classic (I run Jaguar) and 2) the profiles it creates are not nearly as good as the one I eyeballed using the control panel. The $1700 monitor plus $250 calibrator totals only $50 less than the current 23" Cinema display, and I'd probably have to upgrade my calibration software, for $200+ more, to the full OptiCal program to get color as good as my blue 21" Studio Display had. If only that CRT had just lasted a few more months before dying prematurely! I'd recommend taking a serious look at the Apple 20" or 23" LCDs.
True it can have color problems in grey areas. But so does many other LCD displays.

If you are after the best colorscreens for photoediting you be better off with a conventional CRT display for color correctness.

But for "normal" photoshop edititing and DTP use. the new generation of LCDs works just fine! And they are more friendly to your eyes!

Forum Links
Forum Rules