Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I feel really bad for these people.

I feel really bad for these people.
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 04:19 AM

This is a website with movie reviews written by fundamentalist christians. I suppose I respect what they are trying to do: give parents a reference on movies so they can chose what they want to show their kids, but the reviewers just seem like such messed up people. They give really bad ratings to nearly every movie they see and seem to think hollywod has some sort of agenda to corrupt the minds of youth by exposing them to sexuality, debauchery, violence and offenses to God. They don't have fun in these movies that are really entertaining. Why would you want to involve yourself in a religion that condemns everything in life that is enjoyable because it's naughty in one way or another?

This site proposes to keep kids from seeing these movies because of the naughty things taking place in them. What better way to mystify (and cause kids to become curious about) behavior that is potentially self destructive? I hate sh�t like that. It's like these parents don't want to sit and watch the movie with their kid and then talk about what was good and bad about what the various characters did. Thats some terrible parenting right there. Don't communicate with your kids! Strike the fear of God into them! People that live in fear are real easy to control! Religion self-perpetuates!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 04:20 AM

Look forward to at least 100 Zimphire posts.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 04:33 AM

Just meaningless piece of flamebait I guess...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 04:42 AM

I hear you.

To give an example, The Netherlands have one of the most progressive sex education programs in Europe, probably in the world.

Everything from sexual practices to emotional issues are discussed, frankly and openly. The result? Dutch teenagers have the lowest occurrence of STD, the lowest occurrence of teenage pregnancies and lose their virginity on average a year later than their UK counterparts.

The same is true for discussing violence and sex in movies. Hide it and its mystified, discuss it and its put into persective.

S Monkey
Mar 17, 2003, 04:44 AM

Yeeeees ! The religious flamebaits are back !

The french can relax a little

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by S Monkey:

Yeeeees ! The religious flamebaits are back !

The french can relax a little
I want to move to France. America is full of biatches.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 05:01 AM

this is so funny - The Rocky Horror Picture Show scored 'more acceptable' than The Beverly Hillbillies - what a laugh!

Come on kids - lets get dressed up in daddies fish nets and mummies high heels!

this sig intentionally left blank

undotwa
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I hear you.

To give an example, The Netherlands have one of the most progressive sex education programs in Europe, probably in the world.

Everything from sexual practices to emotional issues are discussed, frankly and openly. The result? Dutch teenagers have the lowest occurrence of STD, the lowest occurrence of teenage pregnancies and lose their virginity on average a year later than their UK counterparts.

The same is true for discussing violence and sex in movies. Hide it and its mystified, discuss it and its put into persective.
I agree, education is the key. Without education, it leads to kids being mystified by such foreign things as 'alcohol', 'tobacco', 'sex', 'cannibis' etc.

However I do believe that many Hollywood movies are quite immoral, and use violence and sexual arousements as the main selling points of the movie. There are a lot of good Hollywood movies however.
In vino veritas.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Mar 17, 2003, 05:08 AM

I hear you.

I believe that I may be correct in adding that The Netherlands also has one of the lowest sexual crime rates.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 05:12 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:

Come on kids - lets get dressed up in daddies fish nets and mummies high heels!

The Canadians are at it all the time.

Dear Sir,
I wish to complain on the stronglyest possible terms about the previous
entry in this file about the lumberjack who wears womens' clothes. Some of
my best friends are lumberjacks, and only a FEW of them are transvestites.

Yours faithfully,
Brigadier Sir Charles Arthur Strong, Mrs.

P.S. I have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times.

finboy
Mar 17, 2003, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
This is a website with movie reviews written by fundamentalist christians.
Why do you even feel the need to post this?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by finboy:
To annoy the crap out of you - a noble cause that I am considering taking up as my own.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 17, 2003, 08:52 AM

They feel their morality is better than the ones in the article, and the people in the article should just follow their wordly ways.

You know, your basic MacNN

"Christian values R stooopid because I like pr0n"

flamebait thread.

Nothing new, move along.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Mar 17, 2003 at 09:23 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Nothing new, move along.
There is irony here. I can sense it, I can.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 08:56 AM

They feel their morality is better than the ones in the article, and the people in the article should just follow their wordly ways.

You know, you basic MacNN

"Christian values R stooopid because I like pr0n"

flamebait thread.

Nothing new, move along.

Wow. Totally baseless accusations coupled with a personal attack.

I'd read his original post on why he posted this. Stops you from looking silly.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 17, 2003, 09:05 AM

Wow. Totally baseless accusations coupled with a personal attack.
No not baseless

"hey don't have fun in these movies that are really entertaining. Why would you want to involve yourself in a religion that condemns everything in life that is enjoyable because it's naughty in one way or another?"

Thats some terrible parenting right there. Don't communicate with your kids! Strike the fear of God into them! People that live in fear are real easy to control! Religion self-perpetuates!

This is condeming Christians for having a different moral outlook.

And please were was the personal attack? Show me please.

I'd read his original post on why he posted this. Stops you from looking silly.
His original post on why he posted that? I didn't know it was a required reading, nor did I see it linked here. Either way, it doesn't matter. No baseless accusations here. He is condeming people because their moral values are different than his. Much like the post you made about the British guy being condescending to the American Christians. Oh, thats right, you also said that post wasn't that way too...

This would be like me posting a thread titled. " I really feel bad for these people" And have the thread about the homosexual lifestyle and how I don't agree with the values it teaches and etc.. I guess it would be offensive then, or attack then.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Mar 17, 2003 at 09:22 AM. )

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 10:39 AM

He is condeming people because their moral values are different than his.
So? Terrorists have different moral values than mine. Neo-Nazis have different moral values than mine. They believe in things that are repugnant to me; I would have no trouble condemning those folks. (I don't condemn Christians, before you get your panties in a bunch.)

What exactly entitles us to condemn someone? Or must we act is if every viewpoint is equally valid? I wouldn't have taken you for a relativist, Zim ...
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 11:53 AM

I'm acctually planning on having some friends reveiw movies for a Christian website I work on
They're not supposed to bash the movies, they're just supposed to summerize if they thought it was good, say the plot, say how good the special effects are ect... but they do have to count how many times a movie takes God's name in vain, and how many times anyone curses encase the reader finds cursing offencive. And then they have to recommend what age of kid they would say the movie's sutable for... if it's suitable at all.
Oh that and they have to be funny

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Mar 17, 2003, 11:53 AM

This from the review of South Park:

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (R) -- WARNING! This analysis is blunt. South Park is another movie straight from the smoking pits of Hell.

South Park is an incredibly dangerous movie for those who do not understand or are developing an understanding of the Gospel ....... INCREDIBLY dangerous.

...repeated questions about a female private organ...

A child was graphically incinerated by igniting his flatulence...

The dead child, after being rejected from Heaven (by nude female angels) and cast into Hell...

May God have mercy on us.
LOL

Makes me want to rent it again!

Then this from the "Final Scoring":
igniting anal wind then being incinerated

131 uses of the most foul of the foul words by children

119 uses of the three/four letter word vocabulary by children

passing body gas in time to music and in other situations

"Suck my --" at least twice

adult males in bikinis

long sequence of homosexual as emcee of a USO show

Vanquish
Mar 17, 2003, 11:56 AM

American Psycho: CAP score: ZERO

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 11:58 AM

No not baseless

This is condeming Christians for having a different moral outlook.

And please were was the personal attack? Show me please.

His original post on why he posted that? I didn't know it was a required reading, nor did I see it linked here. Either way, it doesn't matter. No baseless accusations here. He is condeming people because their moral values are different than his. Much like the post you made about the British guy being condescending to the American Christians. Oh, thats right, you also said that post wasn't that way too...

This would be like me posting a thread titled. " I really feel bad for these people" And have the thread about the homosexual lifestyle and how I don't agree with the values it teaches and etc.. I guess it would be offensive then, or attack then.
Nothing new, move along.
Pssst...hey Zim...

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 17, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by keekeeree:
Pssst...hey Zim...
I know, nothing new, same old stuff being rehashed and rehashed till it sets fire.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 01:24 PM

I know, nothing new, same old stuff being rehashed and rehashed till it sets fire.
Nothing new, move along
Pssst...hey Zim...I think you're missing the irony

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 05:49 PM

I think the only way you can safely condemn someone for a difference in moral values is if you are Zim

The point of the thread was to point out the repressed nature of fundamentalist christians and to question if that is a 'riteous' way to live, if you can't enjoy simple things in life because you're too busy thumping your bible.

I was going to email the people that maintain the site with a few questions but i decided not to because of how antagonistic and stubborn most fundamentalists get when you make inquiries into their beliefs.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 06:32 PM

It's an interesting phenomenon on how being highly sensitive to certain things can completely blind you to others.

Example:

I was attending a religious service with a friend. A member of the regional authority over the congregations in many states was speaking. He brought up the film Shindler's List for some reason or another. He advice to the congregation was to NOT see the film "until it was edited to remove the nudity".

I guess he was concerned that anyone watching that movie might become sexually aroused.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
It's an interesting phenomenon on how being highly sensitive to certain things can completely blind you to others.

Example:

I was attending a religious service with a friend. A member of the regional authority over the congregations in many states was speaking. He brought up the film Shindler's List for some reason or another. He advice to the congregation was to NOT see the film "until it was edited to remove the nudity".

I guess he was concerned that anyone watching that movie might become sexually aroused.
You know good and well that if G*d had intended for people to go running around naked, they would have been born that way.

Why does nudity scare some christians so bad? I'm perplexed.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
I agree, education is the key. Without education, it leads to kids being mystified by such foreign things as 'alcohol', 'tobacco', 'sex', 'cannibis' etc.

However I do believe that many Hollywood movies are quite immoral, and use violence and sexual arousements as the main selling points of the movie. There are a lot of good Hollywood movies however.
And my response to that is.....so what? Ultimately a person's actions and belief's are their own responsibilty. ALWAYS. That's always been the unspoken truth when the issue of media & morals comes up. When you can quantify exactly how much Hollywood is responsible for the moral decline you can hold them responsible for exactly that much.

How many kids listened to Marilyn Manson and didn't grab guns and shoot their classmates (a la Columbine)?

BTW, I agree with you on education. The US has reduced the number of tobacco smokers in half in the last 15 years without throwing a single smoker in jail. Should be the lesson we follow with the so-called 'drug war'.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 18, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by keekeeree:
Pssst...hey Zim...I think you're missing the irony
No I got it, I just chose to ignore the trollings.

It was funny though.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 18, 2003, 12:36 AM

I think the only way you can safely condemn someone for a difference in moral values is if you are Zim
Please show me somewhere that I have condemned people for their values or lack of. I have disagreed with them. That isn't condeming. Why would I condem people for "sinning" as I see it? That would be very pot, kettle, black of me. If I have said anything to anyone in this forum, that has made them feel condemned I humbly apologize. That was not my intent.

The point of the thread was to point out the repressed nature of fundamentalist christians and to question if that is a 'riteous' way to live, if you can't enjoy simple things in life because you're too busy thumping your bible.

And this is a very narrow minded view of people of faith. I have lived the life of worldly desires before I finally found Christ. I have taken massive amounts of drugs, and slept with so many women I lost count. None of this made me happy. It was all a illusion. It was a replacement for something real, it was a apar of something more real. I feel we all have a emptiness inside ourselves made to be filled with Godly things. We choose what we want to fill it with. Some fill it with money, some with drugs, etc. Ever since I left that life behind, I haven't felt more free in my life. No, sorry, I enjoy life much more without these "simple things" What may bring you enjoyment in life, might not bring someone else the same. Christians aren't bound by the word. They embrace the word.

I was going to email the people that maintain the site with a few questions but i decided not to because of how antagonistic and stubborn most fundamentalists get when you make inquiries into their beliefs.
I don't think anyone gets stubborn with inquiries, I think people might get put off when one person thinks just because they have differ opinions on life, that they are somehow "missing out" when in fact, they are not. Most people of the faith love to tell people they aren't missing out, that indeed these simple things aren't needed for happiness. Only one thing brings pure and true happiness IMHO. The rest are counterfit.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 18, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
You know good and well that if G*d had intended for people to go running around naked, they would have been born that way.

Why does nudity scare some christians so bad? I'm perplexed.

CV
We are also born into sin. Nudity doesn't scare Christians. Nudity in itself isn't a "sin". Most Christians however do try to stay away from perversions of the flesh.

Lerkfish
Mar 18, 2003, 12:55 AM

This is a website with movie reviews written by fundamentalist christians. I suppose I respect what they are trying to do: give parents a reference on movies so they can chose what they want to show their kids, but the reviewers just seem like such messed up people.
well, beyond all that, its not even comprehensible....here's an example of a film I sort of enjoyed, "Sixth Day"

SUMMARY / COMMENTARY:

*THE 6TH DAY* -- a thousand 10-point Nasties instead of ten 1000-point Nasties.

Furious in sound and ingenious in imagery *The 6th Day* was, to me, a disappointment. While presenting some fantastic futuristic gadgetry such as the special helicopters, this was another "R-13". Much foul language, casual and indeed puppet sex programming, and a great deal of violence. Folks who have seen *Total Recall* will see more of the same but evidently with hopes of being cleaned up a little as evidenced by the higher quality and obvious budget. Again the new technique of using many "lesser" ignominies instead of the fewer but more invasive ignominies to get the same effect was apparently used. In terms of numbers, envision 1000 Nasties worth 10 points each then 10 Nasties worth 1000 points each. The magnitude is the same. *The 6th Day* is a thousand 10-point Nasties instead of ten 1000-point Nasties typical of traditional R-rated programming, and each can be a little straight pin hidden in the couch. *The 6th Day* may have presented 500 Nasties worth 20 points each, but the magnitude is still the same.
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

I agree with the originator of this thread: the intent of the site is fine, that of giving a rating of movies for others in their own flavor of christianity, but I think the reviews I read were bordering on paranoid.

Sometimes a movie is just a movie.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2003, 12:56 AM

*points and laughs*

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.
I had to read it a few times. Still have no idea what they are trying to say. I agree with you on "Sometimes a movie is just a movie" point.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2003, 04:33 AM

Why did you even feel the need to post this?

Speaking for myself - I found that site immensely interesting. I have met people who utterly fail to see the forest for the trees, but honestly:

Read the review of American History X and tell me that the real danger here isn't the REVIEWER and the way he brings up his children.

-s*

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2003, 05:11 AM

We are also born into sin.
Speak for yourself.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2003, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
And my response to that is.....so what? Ultimately a person's actions and belief's are their own responsibilty. ALWAYS. That's always been the unspoken truth when the issue of media & morals comes up. When you can quantify exactly how much Hollywood is responsible for the moral decline you can hold them responsible for exactly that much.

How many kids listened to Marilyn Manson and didn't grab guns and shoot their classmates (a la Columbine)?

BTW, I agree with you on education. The US has reduced the number of tobacco smokers in half in the last 15 years without throwing a single smoker in jail. Should be the lesson we follow with the so-called 'drug war'.
I didn't say I wanted to restrict access to Hollywood movies. It's up to the viewer whether the content is suitable for them or not (or their parents). I don't blame Hollywood for any moral decline, because people's morals were never that good anyway IMHO. It has just been more of a public and more accepted thing now a days and it really has nothing to do with Hollywood, Hollywood just decided to cash in on the trend.
In vino veritas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules