Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sound problem when unplugged or plugged in?

Sound problem when unplugged or plugged in?
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 09:10 PM

Ok, did a quick search and didn't see anything else like this, but here is what my 17" does... Just reproduced it a few times, not sure if it does it when not playing w/itunes or not, but takes a restart/test, so let me know if you guys have this happen to you:

When I was about to leave for dinner (some things take priority, you know? :) I decided to unplug the book 'cause I figure an occasional drain/recharge will be good for 'er, especially considering she is not more than a week and a half old now. So here it is playing some Metallica tune (YES, LARS, I DOWNLOADED IT FROM NAPSTER, BUT I PAID FOR YOUR AUGUST 2ND CONCERT IN HOUSTON) and I unplug the book... Battery indicator comes on (versus plugged in indicator in menu bar), sound cuts out... iTunes won't play anymore... Go to sound prefs, power prefs, nothing. Can't even make alert sounds sound. Mute/unmute won't play that unmute sound for me. Reboot 1.

Reboot, get Mac startup sound, all is fine. Computer unplugged... on battery, starts, start iTunes, works fine, plug in... Battery indicator goes to plugged in, sound cuts out briefly, comes back... Unplug power, no sound, reboot 2...

Boots up, open iTunes, getting music, plug in, cuts out briefly, then for good... Sound gone. Restarts fix this (haven't restarted yet, but had to submit this to see if anyone knew of or experienced this before), but it is odd that it happens to begin with. I am not sure if the same prob would happen if I first quit a sound app that was running, but that will be my next test, after dinner. Will reboot, start itunes, quit, unplug, start itunes... It will probably not kill the sound if I do it that way, in either event, seems like a bug to me that unplugging mid song kills sound... Wondering if it is my bug or if we all share it?

Rey :)

P.S. Anyone know any female Metallica fans in Houston who would care to join a stranger on August 2nd to catch a hot and loud summer concert?

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 03:10 AM

As far as I know, we all share it. I cant remember where, but I posted that here once or in the Apple forums about my 15inch 1GHz sharing this problem. I had a few confimrations and what it seems to be is when the processor switches from 'Highest' to 'Reduced' it stops the sound - but only if you have something plugged in the audio out port. If you simply unplug the port, your shound *should* come back. So you can unplug you speakers before or after you lose the AC, or run on the same processor setting when on battery or AC. I think you can reproduce this just by changing the processor speed in the energy control panel in the appropreate power source setting (ie.if you're on battery change the battery processor setting)

I hadnt heard of it on the 12 or 17, but now I have. Makes me think its a software problem then...I hope.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 08:40 PM

Just glad to know it wasn't just me. Sad though, that a simple laptop type proceedure (unplugging to go surf from downstairs, etc) would cause something silly like this to happen!

Rey :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules