Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook or Powermac?

Powerbook or Powermac?
DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 04:56 PM

I know others had the same topic but everyone has different uses.. I want to purchase a new computer and was thinking either the 17" powerbook or 1.42ghz powermac w/23" display. I am unsure which one is better? Here is a list of what I do on the computer:

Music ( mp3's, download new ones and create new mp3's via an audio source i.e mixing board)

Video (editing via final cut pro, creating dvd's, getting video from a dv source, getting video from a tv/vcr, sometimes encoding video to another format, idvd, imovie) The video from a tv/vcr leads me to another question. Is there a external device for mac which would allow me to record tv stations and change channels (pvr) for directv?

Graphics/development/programming ( Photoshop, scanning pictures/documents, GoLive or Macromedia Dreamweaver, developing apps in C, C++, java, mono (Dotnet))

Internet ( usual surfing, email, etc..)

I might be using virtual pc sometimes also.

I do like the idea of having a laptop to bring with me wherever I go but it's not a necessity. This machine will basically be a desktop replacement. Just for the record, Ive been using pcs for years so yes i'll be a switcher WHOO HOO!.. I just need something powerfull enough to handle the above needs without waiting forever to complete the tasks. I really like the powerbook, but I am afraid it won't be enough power to handle what I intend to do.

Feedback most welcomed!
DakRT

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2003, 05:01 PM

In short: If you need a portable, get a PowerBook. If you dont, there is no reason to not get a Dual 1.42 because it will spank a 1GHz PowerBook.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2003, 05:14 PM

I do exactly the same stuff as you, and I have a 17". It handles the workload flawlessly. I've got a full GB of RAM, so that helps. There are going to be speed differences between the PowerBook and the PowerMac (ie PowerMac will be faster) but the PowerBook will do everything you need extremely well. So, if you like that PowerBook my recommendation is to get it.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

idyll
Senior User
Apr 21, 2003, 05:18 PM

If you have the cash then by all means go for the fastest PowerMac + 23" Display -- it beats any PowerBook out there.

If you simply must have mobility while having all the power you can imagine at your fingertips then go for the fastest PowerBook out there.

If you are in need of both portability and power then a dual 867 MHz Powermac + 20" display and a 12" PowerBook isn't that bad of a deal either.

Whichever choice you decide to make, you'll be very happy.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 09:01 PM

Just get em both!

No, really, I have to go with the PB, not just for the mobility OUT of the house, but the mobility IN the house. I can take mine from room to room, upstairs-downstairs and do the things I wanna do wherever I am. The hardest thing for me with the desktop was I had to go into the office and do the work. I never got anything done cuz I didn't want to be holed up in the other room. I find the convenience to be the impetus to get more done. Then I can just go in there when I need the big display or perpherals.

But if you really need the power, the dual would obviously spank the PB.

DakRT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2003, 11:23 PM

I just wanted to add that money isn't a factor in purchasing the system. I appreciate the replys so far! On the Powerbook, If I were to watch a movie or video on it, is the screen sharp? I haven't seen a movie play on the 23" cinema display, but I bet it blows away the graphics on the powerbook...
DakRT

Forum Links
Forum Rules