Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Resale Value

Resale Value
dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 12:40 PM

Eventually a new G5 PowerBook will arrive. How might it affect the resale value of G4 PowerBooks... I figure I'm getting a G4 myself soon but I may I want to move up. What's everybody's experience with their PB's when the chip got changed the last time (when the G4 came out) Did the *resale* value of G3 laptops plummet? Thanks for any help from the PB veterans.

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 12:56 PM

I really would not worry about especially if you need a computer now. When they are announced, you can sell it and it will make a nice down payment towards a new one. Just don't expect to get what you paid. That is what I plan to do.

Chris

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
Eventually a new G5 PowerBook will arrive. How might it affect the resale value of G4 PowerBooks... I figure I'm getting a G4 myself soon but I may I want to move up. What's everybody's experience with their PB's when the chip got changed the last time (when the G4 came out) Did the *resale* value of G3 laptops plummet? Thanks for any help from the PB veterans.
I think you can look to the Pismo for an answer to this one.

Despite the fact that the G3 is (now) rather old, the Pismo maintains a rather high resale value.

I think that the primary reason for this is the fact that Apple still uses the G3 in the iBook, so the Pismo doesn't look so old by comparison. I imagine the same will be true when we see a G5 PowerBook.

I can see Apple putting a G4 in the iBook, and updating the PB to a G5. When that happens, I think the old G4 powerbooks will still be maintaining a rather high resale value, since people who don't need the latest and greatest will seize the oppotunity to pick up a G4 PB at a cheaper price than the new ones.

Say what you will about the G4... but especially the higher end ones really are quite fast for most every day-to-day task.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules