Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hooking up a VCR to a 12" PB?

Hooking up a VCR to a 12" PB?
dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2003, 07:06 PM

I know that the PB 12" has VGA, S-Video, and RCA out. Is there a way I can also get it to accept signals from an RCA device like my VCR if I want to say, watch a video tape on my PB. Is a TV tuner device like an EyeTV necessary for this functionality? I say this because I'll be living in a single dorm where I'll have a 19" monitor hooked up to the PB when I go to college and want to ditch my TV (which would be 20") to save space. Thanks!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2003, 07:16 PM

an Analog to Digital converter like those found on many camcorders would do the trick. If you have a camcorder, check and see if it has this. If not, you'll have to buy a standalone one, which may run you upwards of $300...

I've used the Canopus ADVC-100 with iMovie and it works great, and it's even on the Apple Store now.

dreamBweaver  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
an Analog to Digital converter like those found on many camcorders would do the trick. If you have a camcorder, check and see if it has this. If not, you'll have to buy a standalone one, which may run you upwards of $300...

I've used the Canopus ADVC-100 with iMovie and it works great, and it's even on the Apple Store now.
Thanks, MaxPower2k3. I unfortunately don't have a camcorder with such a feature . So an Analog to Digital converter is needed because the PB 12" has only a digital video/audio port in - firewire, right? I still the best (and cheapest ) option would be something like a video card with RCA in, which I believe I've seen in desktop systems. So I figure some external card that can do RCA-in could bring analog signals direct to my PC too. I hope there is a consumer device that isn't priced as steeply as the $300 Canopus device.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
Thanks, MaxPower2k3. I unfortunately don't have a camcorder with such a feature . So an Analog to Digital converter is needed because the PB 12" has only a digital video/audio port in - firewire, right? I still the best (and cheapest ) option would be something like a video card with RCA in, which I believe I've seen in desktop systems. So I figure some external card that can do RCA-in could bring analog signals direct to my PC too. I hope there is a consumer device that isn't priced as steeply as the $300 Canopus device.
unfortunately, around $300 is the cheapest you'll find these devices (which is just what you described, a box with RCA/S-Video inputs)

dreamBweaver  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 10:42 AM

Wow. If $300 is the price point it's way too expensive for me - that's more than it'd cost to just buy all my VHS tapes on DVD

Since I'll have a Windows 2000 desktop too besides a PB 12", I think I'll have to find a cheap AGP video card with RCA-in. It's been a while since I've shopped for video cards, since all I've been shopping for is a new Mac...back to pricegrabber.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 03:01 PM

if you haven't found anything yet, this deal at Newegg.com (great store, very reliable) is incredible... $109 for a dual DVI (almost unheard-of) GeForce 4 with ViVo (Video in/Video out)... it only seems to do video in, though, so you may have to get a radioshack 1/8" plug (headphone-type) to RCA adapter cable and import the sound through your sound card instead of the graphics card. there are a couple cheaper ones at newegg too, but i didn't look at those as carefully -- do a search for 'VIVO' to see all of them.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...121-151&depa=0

dreamBweaver  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
if you haven't found anything yet, this deal at Newegg.com (great store, very reliable) is incredible... $109 for a dual DVI (almost unheard-of) GeForce 4 with ViVo (Video in/Video out)... it only seems to do video in, though, so you may have to get a radioshack 1/8" plug (headphone-type) to RCA adapter cable and import the sound through your sound card instead of the graphics card. there are a couple cheaper ones at newegg too, but i didn't look at those as carefully -- do a search for 'VIVO' to see all of them.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...121-151&depa=0
Thanks for the suggestion. I found an even better deal on a dedicated TV Tuner PCI card for $38 ($47 with shipping) http://pccdepot.com/cdc_pdetails1.asp?id=101389 . The ATI TV Wonder looks like a powerful TV Tuner and also has the feature I most need - video-in.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
Thanks for the suggestion. I found an even better deal on a dedicated TV Tuner PCI card for $38 ($47 with shipping) http://pccdepot.com/cdc_pdetails1.asp?id=101389 . The ATI TV Wonder looks like a powerful TV Tuner and also has the feature I most need - video-in.
that one looks like it'd work for you, although it only has Mono audio in (to get stereo you have to step up to the full-version TV Wonder). other than that, it looks like it'd work just fine (though i can't attest to the quality of the thing)

Forum Links
Forum Rules