Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is a PB in sleep mode safe when in a car?

Is a PB in sleep mode safe when in a car?
dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2003, 02:32 PM

Two questions: will I damage my PB12 if it's in sleep mode while I drive my car (I intend to keep it in the backpocket of my seat until I get a bag)? Is it unsafe to use a laptop while in the backseat as far as messing up the hard drive or being thrown forward and breaking the computer? I want my laptop to travel with me so I hope this is possible!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2003, 02:34 PM

Keeping it in Sleep Mode won't cause any problems whatsoever traveling, but if you "fling your computer forward" and it's slams against something, lol, it could be screwed whether asleep or not.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by dreamBweaver:
Two questions: will I damage my PB12 if it's in sleep mode while I drive my car (I intend to keep it in the backpocket of my seat until I get a bag)? Is it unsafe to use a laptop while in the backseat as far as messing up the hard drive or being thrown forward and breaking the computer? I want my laptop to travel with me so I hope this is possible!
When the machine is asleep, the drive is powered down as well as everything else except the RAM. So from a technical standpoint, it's just as safe as the machine being "off", as in all the moving parts are in their home, locked positions.

As AssassyN pointed out however, any HUGE bump back/forth WILL most likely damage your PB, regardless of it's current state.

To get back to your question, I've taken several 500+ mile roadtrips with my iBook, and recently one w/ my Ti... both did great the whole time. The nominal vibration of your car on the road won't effect the machine at all, only a VERY large bump could (read: accident, hitting something in the road, etc), and then you'd have much more to worry about then your 12"

If you were thrown forward in your car with enough force to "break" your computer, there's a good chance you'd "break" something else as well, bones and whatnot. Might want to be careful when the driver stops suddenly to make sure the PB doesn't slide off your lap, but I've never had any problems like that.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

dreamBweaver  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2003, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking my first road trip soon and going to enjoy having my PB with me.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 11:23 PM

I've actually driven around with my (then) iBook ON in the passenger seat. Probably not the best idea in case of a sudden stop, but I was testing out Macstumbler on a "wardriving" trek. So apparently the internals are just fine even when sitting there, on, going over bumpy roads.

Lebensm�de
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
I've actually driven around with my (then) iBook ON in the passenger seat. Probably not the best idea in case of a sudden stop, but I was testing out Macstumbler on a "wardriving" trek. So apparently the internals are just fine even when sitting there, on, going over bumpy roads.
It was always my understanding that the only thing you really have to avoid with the PowerBook ON are sudden movements from the horizontal to an extreme vertical position, i.e. tipping it suddenly more than say 45� to the right or left. Light bouncing up and down in a car seat shouldn't bother it much.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 10:44 AM

That's pretty much what I figured - I really wouldn't have done it otherwise. Like I said, aside from any sudden stops (where I'd probably have more to worry about than a PowerBook), these things are pretty rugged. I wouldn't expect anything to happen just from riding around in a vehicle. We're not going off-roading or anything!

Although I will say - it would be nice to have one of those laptop mounts for the car. Sort of like the ones that cops use in their vehicles to mount their MDTs.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by alpha rays max:
War Driving. My Pismo is fine in my passenger seat while I drive.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

Forum Links
Forum Rules