Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AirPort Extreme Drains My PB12's Battery

AirPort Extreme Drains My PB12's Battery
dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2003, 09:57 PM

My new PB12 is getting about 2 hours and a half of battery life with a full charge. I have the brightness set to full and the Energy Saver system panel on Longest Battery Life. I realize I could get more time by lowering the brightness. I think the AirPort extreme, which I have turned on and am using to access my cable modem, is causing the most drain. Are there any ways to lower its effect on battery life; and does anyone else know other tips - I haven't figured out how to turn on the lower processor speed setting yet. BTW, I've already turned off Bluetooth and am not using any external peripherals. Thanks for any help!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 09:59 PM

lower processor setting is available in the Custom settings for Energy Saver, and, as far as i know, the screen brightness is a much bigger drain on the battery than Airport. Lower the brightness to the minimum setting that you can see without squinting and you may see as much as an extra hour of battery life. i get around 3 to 3.5 hours of battery life with Airport turned on and full processor speed and screen brightness at 2-3 bars.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 02:19 AM

AirPort is using a scant amount of power compared to the backlight on your LCD. Turning the LCD brightness down is going to have a huge effect on your battery life. I use AirPort quite a bit and can easily get 3 hours if not a bit more with the screen at the lowest brightness and Highest Performance. Changing the Energy Saver setting to Longest Battery Life will usually get me around four hours with AirPort running. Browsing the web with Safari makes it difficult to get too long a battery life because the disk cache keeps the hard drive spun up.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 06:16 PM

Also, make sure you turn off Bluetooth if you haven't already.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by TheBum:
Also, make sure you turn off Bluetooth if you haven't already.
try reading his post

dreamBweaver  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2003, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting an extra half-hour already with a little less brightness and was able to use the custom power settings now.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2003, 11:16 PM

what OS are you using?
do you have panther installed, even if its on another partition?

dreamBweaver  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2003, 06:14 PM

10.2.6 on my internal HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules