Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G3 vs G4 keyboard

iBook G3 vs G4 keyboard
zacharydz
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 02:51 AM

Since the G4 iBook's keyboard is alot nicer, would it be possible to install a G4 iBook keyboard into a G3? Is the increased firmness of the G4's keyboard due to the keyboard itself, or does it just have better support when installed into the laptop? Thanks
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

rytc
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by zacharydz:
Since the G4 iBook's keyboard is alot nicer, would it be possible to install a G4 iBook keyboard into a G3? Is the increased firmness of the G4's keyboard due to the keyboard itself, or does it just have better support when installed into the laptop? Thanks
I think all that has changed is the plastics used, having compared them side by side, they look identical except for different colored plastics, can't say I noticed the keyboard on the iBook was any firmer though. So in short I'd guess yes, but I haven' tried it so you'd be the tester.

cheers ry

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2004, 03:04 PM

The G4s are much better than the G3s. I had a G3 600 mhz and it was the worst Apple keyboard I've ever had. My clamshell was even better. The G4s are an upgrade.
As far as swapping, aside from the color difference, just make sure the slots will work. The G4s have metal tabs and are stiffer than the G3s. Not sure if there's any other difference in dimensions.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 05:19 PM

All this might be unnecessary if you simply lock the keyboard:

To unlock the keyboard, the user turns a slotted screw that is part of the Num Lock LED, which is between the F5 and F6 function keys. Turning the screw 180° locks or unlocks the keyboard.
After locking the keyboard, it may feel more "firm" to your touch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules