Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Weak Airport signal = short battery life?

Weak Airport signal = short battery life?
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 01:54 AM

Hi! I just finished setting up my new wireless network, and at some points in my house, I'm getting 1 bar of signal but having no problem swiftly loading web pages. Will having this weak signal negatively affect my battery life on my PowerBook? Thanks!

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 03:03 AM

I really doubt it

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Tomster
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 03:28 AM

Nope. And with one bar of signal, I believe your multicast rate is still at 2BaseT so unless you have a really fast connection, your isp will still be the bottleneck. Now as for filesharing on the lan, then one bar of signal will slow you down.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2004, 02:17 PM

There's no such thing as 2baseT. If you search for it, people are in fact referring to 10Base2 ethernet.

Regardless, 10Base2 has nothing to do with the question, nothing in the slightest.

What I think Tomster is trying to say is that for internet use, even with just 1 bar of reception (which will mean a lower transmission speed), the AirPort network is unlikely to be the bottleneck. And I agree.

As for battery life... I actually am not sure. Cellphones do indeed consume far more power in low-reception situations, but then again, they have a minimum data rate to maintain. My hunch is that it does not significantly decrease battery life.

tooki

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
There's no such thing as 2baseT. If you search for it, people are in fact referring to 10Base2 ethernet.

Regardless, 10Base2 has nothing to do with the question, nothing in the slightest.

What I think Tomster is trying to say is that for internet use, even with just 1 bar of reception (which will mean a lower transmission speed), the AirPort network is unlikely to be the bottleneck. And I agree.

As for battery life... I actually am not sure. Cellphones do indeed consume far more power in low-reception situations, but then again, they have a minimum data rate to maintain. My hunch is that it does not significantly decrease battery life.

tooki
Thanks for the responses. I did, indeed, have cell phones in mind when wondering if the weak signal would lessen battery life. If anyone else has any information, please share.

Tomster
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 07:32 PM

Yes, there is no such animal as 2BaseT. What I meant was the multicast rate should be about two at that level, or about one fifth of 10BaseT.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 5, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Yes, there is no such animal as 2BaseT.
Indeed. All online references I've found to 2BaseT so far have been mislabeled references to 10Base2. But you can't just go inventing lingo, my friend! If you wanted to say to expect 2Mb/sec speeds, you should just have said so.

The original Ethernet specification (never used outside of Xerox, AFAIK) was 3Mb. By the time it was released to the public, it was 10Mb/sec, in the form of 10Base5 ("thicknet" coax). Later came 10Base2 ("thinnet" coax), and then 10BaseT (twisted-pair cable), which was later raised to 100 and 1000Mb/sec.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules