Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!

Awesome 1GB RAM Deal!!
azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 03:06 PM

Anyone tried this RAM?

It's generic and cheap, but it's an awesome deal if it works well on the PB.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

azdude  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 03:20 PM

Just saw Tomster's post in the other thread validating this RAM. I'm purchasing it, and will add my experience!

azdude  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 03:30 PM

My third post on this... sorry.

I called, and there's no restocking fee! Although I generally hate Fry's, this incredible price and very low risk can't be beat!

BTW... Although they're out of stock today, there's only 23 backorders (so far), and they're getting 120 of them in tomorrow. They'll ship either tomorrow or the next day. Hooray!

trimaniax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 03:32 PM

So, this would be suitable for a 12" Rev. C Powerbook?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by trimaniax:

it looks like it, but...
anyone?

it's half the cost of anyone else's ram (which makes me nervous...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 04:15 PM

Damn wedding....I would order today.
Who reads this???

trimaniax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 04:17 PM

Well, I decided to order this for my 12" Powerbook. The $150 does make me a little wary but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the post.

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by trimaniax:
Yep. 200 pin sodimm PC2700. Worked flawlessly for the last two hours and no indications of any issues so far.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 04:59 PM

This will be compatible with Rev B 12" Powerbooks as well right? I know it will work at PC2100 speed but everything else looks the same, I already ordered it but now I'm a little concerned on whether it'll work with my PB or not, oh well.....here goes nothing.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

azdude  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Yep. 200 pin sodimm PC2700. Worked flawlessly for the last two hours and no indications of any issues so far.
Please keep us nervous deal-seekers frequently posted... So we can cancel quickly if need be.

Tomster
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
Please keep us nervous deal-seekers frequently posted... So we can cancel quickly if need be.
Will do. No issues so far. Just to let you know, my usage habits should stress test the ram. I never restart except for software updates and I never shut down unless installing physical hardware so the ram is always in use. It was a great deal.

On a related note, how long until we see a spike in the number of 512mb dimms for sale in the market place forum?
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

RayK
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 07:10 PM

Yes, please keep us posted. I ordered it, but its gonna be a couple of weeks, so, if there are any issues lease tell us! Thanks!
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by RayK:
Yes, please keep us posted. I ordered it, but its gonna be a couple of weeks, so, if there are any issues lease tell us! Thanks!

couple of weeks? because it's backordered??

so small, i'd opt for overnite (or 2day) ship.

IF i buy one (& i might...)

how can this be so cheap? made my elves perhaps??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2004, 07:24 PM

My financial aid isn't getting here fast enough.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

RayK
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 07:53 PM

Since I am currently without a phone. I used the video conference to talk with the guy on the phone via my girlfriend. He said it would be a couple of weeks. Yeah, I'm at college ATM and am waiting for my book aod to get here. BOOKS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE!
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

sbc
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 11:57 PM

WoW! That is seriously cheap...

I want to order it and I don't even own a PB yet
Am I ready for the Mac? I want a 60G iPod!!!!!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2004, 12:30 AM

Dammit and I just bought a gig of kingmax ram from newegg for $201. Now I think I should have waited for this. Oh well I can still get a stick of this and max out my PB for way less than apple would charge me!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2004, 12:42 AM

By a long shot--
Apple charges $1200 for 2GB of RAM.
Thats just rediculous.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by anamexis:
By a long shot--
Apple charges $1200 for 2GB of RAM.
Thats just rediculous.
Apple charges $1900 in my country, and those Fry�s guys say "Not available for export." Great !

AndrewP
Aug 26, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by RayK:
For those of you with a local Fry's Electronics you may want to call and see if they have these in stock. My local store does, but it's more expensive ($210). Once I factor in shipping it's about a $50 difference between the two. The benefit to me is that I can return it to the store if it doesn't work rather than having to get an RMA and ship it back. On the other hand, going to Fry's is like entering the ninth circle of hell so maybe having to deal with an RMA isn't so bad ....

daiSho
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 02:59 PM

going to pick one up right now for my 17" rev. C, i will post my results here for all this evening..!

songoku912
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 11:41 PM

I caved and I ordered

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 12:50 AM

hrmm why is so cheap compared to most others which costs around $325?

any differences between this ram and lets say a Kingston, or Samsung one that Apple uses?

If this works just as good, I will pick one up at fry's... awesome price, i will get 2 of these and max out my ram... oh by the way, this will work on a rev a 17" powerbook or no? Someone?

Please post back and let me know how well it works and if it wont fry out on me like a week after...

AndrewP
Aug 27, 2004, 12:56 AM

I picked one up today and it appears to be OK. The best RAM test for me has always been VirtualPC which usually freezes the entire system in a matter of minutes if there's a RAM incompatibility. So far so good.

Right now it's in my 15" RevC along with a 512MB stick of Kingston PBG4 RAM. No problems to report. I'll try it in my new 12" RevC as soon as I get a chance to break the seal on the box (Mr UPS man brought me a present today)

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 01:18 AM

AndrewP did you pick yours up at a local Frys store? If So was it $149?

AndrewP
Aug 27, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
AndrewP did you pick yours up at a local Frys store? If So was it $149?
Local store for $210.... instant gratification has its price.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 06:27 PM

fri 630pm est...
just happened to stop by the site, and the ram is now "in stock, ships same day".

should i pay some bills? or...

krisneph
Aug 27, 2004, 07:34 PM

Hey guys I got a 12" Powerbook with 768 of RAM but this deal looks sweet. Sweet enough not to pass up.

A couple of questions....

Wil it make a big difference with my system I already have plenty of RAM.
But I use FCP, Photoshop, Illutrator, After Effects and other graphics programs.

I would need to take out the 256 stick of RAM so I would have 1.5 gigs of RAM will that help alot with FCP.

That won't give me anymore realtime effects would it.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 07:34 PM

only 1 year warranty? don't the other companies have lifetime or something like that?
iamwhor3hay

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by krisneph:
Hey guys I got a 12" Powerbook with 768 of RAM but this deal looks sweet. Sweet enough not to pass up.

A couple of questions....

Wil it make a big difference with my system I already have plenty of RAM.
But I use FCP, Photoshop, Illutrator, After Effects and other graphics programs.

I would need to take out the 256 stick of RAM so I would have 1.5 gigs of RAM will that help alot with FCP.

That won't give me anymore realtime effects would it.

actually, you'll have 1.25gig of ram (the 256chip built-in & the 1G)

i probably won't do this (after all); i also have 768meg ram, and can do logic, reason, photoshop, email, etc...

and yet, it does seem like a great opportunity...

azdude  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2004, 07:57 PM

My status just changed from "Backordered" to "In Process." They received their shipment, and should ship soon!

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 09:06 PM

wow but im kinda paranoid to this 1 year warranty thing, i hope if that i do decide to get this that my ram will not die out on me in a year, that would suck, to those of you who already bought it and installed the memory, any problems at all? Would love to mac my powerbook out to 2gb ram.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 09:11 PM

My financial aid came in today AND I won a grant lottery of $400!! Woohoo! So I picked up two sticks, one for me and one for my bro. Got overnight shipping cuz it was only $3 more than ground. Gonna have it tomorrow. Wee! 1.5GB of RAM for me.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:27 PM

wow but im kinda paranoid to this 1 year warranty thing, i hope if that i do decide to get this that my ram will not die out on me in a year, that would suck, to those of you who already bought it and installed the memory, any problems at all? Would love to mac my powerbook out to 2gb ram.
Does RAM have a history of doing that? If it seems to work for the first couple of days, and passes a hardware test, are you pretty much home free? Or can you be screwed in a few months?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this will work with my PowerBook, but how can you find out exactly? I bought my 1.25Ghz AluBook late last September... The price is mighty tempting... Also, is there any definite confirmation on whether non Samsung/Hynix RAM can be installed in the first slot?

songoku912
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2004, 09:36 PM

My status changed to in progress too

AndrewP
Aug 27, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Does RAM have a history of doing that? If it seems to work for the first couple of days, and passes a hardware test, are you pretty much home free? Or can you be screwed in a few months?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this will work with my PowerBook, but how can you find out exactly? I bought my 1.25Ghz AluBook late last September... The price is mighty tempting... Also, is there any definite confirmation on whether non Samsung/Hynix RAM can be installed in the first slot?
RAM usually doesn't fail on its own unless it's an issue of infant mortality. If it doesn't die in the first few days then it usually won't. Usually when modules fail after that it's due to some outside circumstance (static during removal or re-installation, static while working on another part of the system, etc...).

In other words, if you can resist the urge to remove and re-install the module on a regular basis and it lasts beyond the first week you'll probably be fine in the long haul.

Even if it does die 2 years from now your cost on a new module will be even less (and still less than the difference between this 1 year module and another lifetime module).

In other words... don't sweat it.

I have one of these and it's working fine in my 15" Al book. I have another one on order for my 12".

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 28, 2004, 01:33 AM

Ok i might jump in and order me 2 then, but I see everyone here has successfully installed it on a 12 and 15 powerbook, can someone confirm that this will work on a Rev A 17" Powerbook? Will it be able to support 2GB ram?

Please let me know before I order it.

and for those who upgraded from 512mb ram to 1GB or more, does panther feel a lot more responsive? I ask because I do a lot of photoshop, illustrator and designing and constantly have these apps open, and i get a lot of spinning beachballs and its terribly slow on my machine, I only have 512mb now... wonder if this would make a big difference?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 05:31 AM

sweeeet ... i was gonna order 1gb and max my 12inch rev C. got an email from a friend (a convert .. his powerbook is in the mail!) telling me that 1gb for 150 ... i was like holy ****. there's a site online selling 1gb generic for 180. so i ordered on outpost.com. wondering if this will work ok or not .. lemme know so i can cancel. gonna have a nother switcher in september when his cash rolls in .. lol .. 2 switches to my list =P

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

azdude  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
wondering if this will work ok or not .. lemme know so i can cancel.
Brief synopsis of this very thread: yes.

BTW... Mine shipped!

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 12:41 PM

Does it work well through sleep mode? I had problems early on with several sticks of RAM for my PB 12 1GHz. They would pass the Apple hardware tests just fine and even worked well if the machine was in normal operating mode. The problem with the partially compatible RAM was it would cause kernel panics if the PB was put to sleep.

Please let us know if the RAM works okay through sleep cycles as well as full on stress testing.

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 01:53 PM

I just bought one myself! $149 for a gig? That's insanely low. I can't wait because my rev. c 12" is nearly unbearable to use with the stock 256 in it. How can anyone use these things with so little RAM?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
I just bought one myself! $149 for a gig? That's insanely low. I can't wait because my rev. c 12" is nearly unbearable to use with the stock 256 in it. How can anyone use these things with so little RAM?
coming from a 1.3GHz Pentium 4 with 128MB RAM and 32MB video card, it's quite easy
iamwhor3hay

mangotango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2004, 02:13 PM

this sucks... no shipping to Canada.
While my new powerbook will arrive on Thursday. Can hardly wait....

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by mangotango:
And I was complaining because they do not ship to Europe... sorry mate.

azdude  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by mangotango:
There's a guy on eBay reselling them for $200... perhaps he could work something out, even though the price is more, it's still fairly good.

69camaro
Aug 28, 2004, 08:08 PM

I caved in and ordered mine today. When I open bit torrent and adium at the same time on my stop 512, my available ram goes down to 4-6 megs. I'm hoping the extra gig will be a severe improvement in performance.

AndrewP
Aug 28, 2004, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Guy Kuo:
Does it work well through sleep mode? I had problems early on with several sticks of RAM for my PB 12 1GHz. They would pass the Apple hardware tests just fine and even worked well if the machine was in normal operating mode. The problem with the partially compatible RAM was it would cause kernel panics if the PB was put to sleep.

Please let us know if the RAM works okay through sleep cycles as well as full on stress testing.
No issues here. I haven't shut my PB down since I installed it, but have put it to sleep 15 or more times. I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

hmmm.... I've got 1.5G in the 15" now and another 1GB on order for the 12". Should I order another one and bump the 15" up to 2GB just for fun?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2004, 04:12 AM

What slot are you guys running this ram in. I have a stick of kingmax 1gb in my outer slot... i'm thinking of getting this for my inner slot???
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

nycdunz
Senior User
Aug 29, 2004, 06:37 AM

still nobody has really answered my question, will this work in my rev a powerbook 17" if i by 2 of these? cause i heard the frst slot has to be a specific brand of memory? Or is this untrue? please help. right now my powerbook only has 1 512mb stick... i wanna max it out to 2gb, is this possible with this ram? and where does this ship from? Wonder how long it will take to get to TX? I see that a few states liisted TAX, and TX is one of em, so I guess they must ship this out locally depending on where you from? If thats true, them I guess it would take not even 1 day to get here, since i live in the same city as Fry's in TX...

AndrewP
Aug 29, 2004, 11:34 AM

and where does this ship from? Wonder how long it will take to get to TX? I see that a few states liisted TAX, and TX is one of em, so I guess they must ship this out locally depending on where you from? If thats true, them I guess it would take not even 1 day to get here, since i live in the same city as Fry's in TX...
My order shipped from Wilmington, OH. Outpost doesn't ship from Fry's retail locations. I don't know if this is their warehouse or if they us PC Connection (also located in Wilmington) as one of their suppliers.

They charge sales tax in the states where Fry's has retail locations. Since I'm in AZ I never thought that I would order from the website (why pay shipping AND tax), but in this case the $50 savings really helped to make up my mind

Now, should I return the stick that I bought locally and order a new one online (to save another $50 or just suck it up and live with it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules