Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Security Update 2004-09-07 Released

Security Update 2004-09-07 Released
CWeider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 04:08 PM

Security Update 2004-09-07 delivers a number of security enhancements and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the following components:

CoreFoundation
IPSec
Kerberos
libpcap
lukemftpd
NetworkConfig
OpenLDAP
OpenSSH
PPPDialer
rsync
Safari
tcpdump

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 04:30 PM

Touches alot of things; however, so far so good...

CWeider  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 04:33 PM

Likewise, no apparent issues thus far. Safari still reports same version & build after this update.

Nacente
Sep 7, 2004, 04:43 PM

It's welcome this update.
iBook G4 933, 640 RAM

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 04:55 PM

Core foundation work sounds serious...

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 04:56 PM

No deleted partitions?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Buck_Naked:
No deleted partitions?
I should love to see a website with Apple's worst software ****-ups: e.g. iTunes deleting partitions, PPP hang bug, random Panther freezes etc...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by CWeider:
Safari still reports same version & build after this update.
That's because Apple lied (or simplified the truth). Safari wasn't updated � WebKit was.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Safari wasn't updated � WebKit was.
Which seem to screws up sites like http://my.fedex.com/ which relies on the Webcore version. It was fine before the update.

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 7, 2004, 06:42 PM

Wow. www.bestbuy.com looks craptastic!
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 06:58 PM

That's because Apple lied (or simplified the truth). Safari wasn't updated � WebKit was.
They *HAVE* to say Safari instead of WebKit, because those places that issue security warnings don't say "There is a security hole in WebKit," they say "Security hole in Safari." So, if the problem is in WebKit, but the advisory mentions Safari, Apple has to say they "updated Safari" so that Joe Walmart knows the hole was fixed.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
They *HAVE* to say Safari instead of WebKit, because those places that issue security warnings don't say "There is a security hole in WebKit," they say "Security hole in Safari." So, if the problem is in WebKit, but the advisory mentions Safari, Apple has to say they "updated Safari" so that Joe Walmart knows the hole was fixed.
If there is a security whole in WebKit then it is likely in Real Player and Shakira and all the other WebKit browsers as well. So when Apple says WebKit is updated users would know that these browsers are safe as well. Those advisories should be more precise and mention WebKit when the problem is in WebKit and Safari when the problem is in Safari but not common in WebKit.

Tomster
Senior User
Sep 7, 2004, 07:43 PM

Any idea when the rendering errors with the webkit will be fixed? Kind of makes you wonder who is doing the qc and beta testing for these releases. One would think that at least one person would try to track a FedEx package. Safari seems to choke on a few sites. Thank goodness Firefox is unaffected.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

york28
Senior User
Sep 7, 2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Any idea when the rendering errors with the webkit will be fixed? Kind of makes you wonder who is doing the qc and beta testing for these releases. One would think that at least one person would try to track a FedEx package. Safari seems to choke on a few sites. Thank goodness Firefox is unaffected.
While I do understand that the purpose of a browser is to display web sites, and that it ought to do this to the best of it's ability, most web pages that render incorrectly in Safari/Firefox/etc. are built on really shoddy, outdated code.

I'm not saying that it's not a problem, but the problem is not soley Safari's fault, but an incompatability between certain HTML code and a rendering engine. To be honest, I'm impressed that Safari and Firefox have been able to do so well emulating IE's crap rendering.

It's not like Apple can possibly test every webpage.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

CWeider  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 10:38 PM

Hmm, both CompUSA and Best Buy web sites no longer render correctly after the update. I have not tried Fedex, but not liking the trend...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2004, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by CWeider:
Hmm, both CompUSA and Best Buy web sites no longer render correctly after the update. I have not tried Fedex, but not liking the trend...
CompUSA, Best Buy and FedEx are totally fooked with latest Safari w/ new security update applied.

They work fine in OmniWeb 5.01.

Apple's got some 'splainin to do.

Twenty bucks says this update gets pulled within 48 hrs.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2004, 11:45 PM

Since most of the websites I've visited over the last six years have used shoddy, non-conforming, oudated code - I'm thinking I need a browser that handles shoddy, non-conforming, outdated code.

Maybe it's just me being stubborn, but I don't want to wait decades for *most* of cyberspace to conform to common standards. I've waited six years so far.

I think it's best if they make a browser that works with billions of websites - instead of wishing that billions of websites would work with a browser.

It's the browser's fault. Cyberspace was already screwed up before the first line of the browser's code was written.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Since most of the websites I've visited over the last six years have used shoddy, non-conforming, oudated code - I'm thinking I need a browser that handles shoddy, non-conforming, outdated code.

Maybe it's just me being stubborn, but I don't want to wait decades for *most* of cyberspace to conform to common standards. I've waited six years so far.

I think it's best if they make a browser that works with billions of websites - instead of wishing that billions of websites would work with a browser.

It's the browser's fault. Cyberspace was already screwed up before the first line of the browser's code was written.
The problem with this approach is that the websites being written today can continue to be written in shoddy, non-conforming, outdated code which means that these issues are going to exist ad infinitum unless something is done about it. What that something is, I'll leave for another debate, but this is the consequence of what you wish for... just something to think about.

Anyway,

as only one thing has been altered in Safari wrt 10.3 (the other issue only applies to 10.2.8), does this make sense for those sites that are now not rendering as they were:

Component: Safari
CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0361
Available for: Mac OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.2.8
Impact: A JavaScript array of negative size can cause Safari to access out of bounds memory resulting in an application crash.
Description: Storing objects into a JavaScript array allocated with negative size can overwrite memory. Safari now stops processing JavaScript programs if an array allocation fails.
This security enhancement was previously made available in Safari 1.0.3, and is being applied inside the Mac OS X 10.2.8 operating system as an extra layer of protection for customers who have not installed that version of Safari. This is a specific fix for Mac OS X 10.2.8 and the issue does not exist in Mac OS X 10.3 or later systems.

Component: Safari
CVE-ID: CAN-2004-0720
Available for: Mac OS X 10.2.8, Mac OS X 10.3.4, Mac OS X 10.3.5, Mac OS X Server 10.2.8, Mac OS X Server 10.3.4, Mac OS X Server 10.3.5
Impact: An untrusted web site can inject content into a frame intended to be used by another domain.
Description: A web site that uses multiple frames can have some of its frames replaced with content from a malicious site if the malicious site is visited first. The fix imposes a set of parent/child rules preventing the attack.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 07:56 AM

If there is a security hole in WebKit then it is likely in Real Player and Shakira and all the other WebKit browsers as well. So when Apple says WebKit is updated users would know that these browsers are safe as well. Those advisories should be more precise and mention WebKit when the problem is in WebKit and Safari when the problem is in Safari but not common in WebKit.
Yes, I agree with you, but you try getting places like Suckunia (Secunia) to recognize that.

I call them Suckunia because they came out with some sort of study that showed (via statistics) that Mac OS X had a higher percentage of serious security holes than Windows. Basically they looked at it this way (numbers used for illustrations only): Total number of holes in Mac OS X: 20, number of serious ones: 5. 5/20 = 25%. Total number of holes in Windows: 108, number of serious ones: 15. 15/108 = 14%.

Hmm... most people are going to look at at that and think OS X is more insecure, because those percentages don't tell the whole story. (To their credit, they did report how the arrived at their figures, but the media doesn't report that, now, do they?)

johnt519
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
CompUSA, Best Buy and FedEx are totally fooked with latest Safari w/ new security update applied.

They work fine in OmniWeb 5.01.

Apple's got some 'splainin to do.

Twenty bucks says this update gets pulled within 48 hrs.
Changing the User Agent in the Debug menu makes Best Buy and Fedex render properly. I tried MSIE, and Mozilla 1.1. Haven't tests with CompUSA.

jt

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2004, 10:28 AM

Worked like a charm... slept like a baby knowing Apple was on the job...

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by johnt519:
Changing the User Agent in the Debug menu makes Best Buy and Fedex render properly.
Which means those sites are intentionally sending buggy code to Safari?

I believe Versiontracker and .Mac are doing that with OmniWeb as well. And MSN has done that to Opera and they had to sue Microsoft due to it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 11:22 AM

Which means those sites are intentionally sending buggy code to Safari?
Probably.

In any case, the "bug" has something to do with JavaScript events. My guess is that these sites were using a User-Agent sniff (a no-no if ever there was one) to send "special" (read: buggy) code to Safari. Only problem is, Safari fixed the bug they were exploiting, and so now it's not working right.

This is why there is no excuse for a site not to be standards-compliant anymore. Bringing almost any site up to snuff borders on trivial, unless it's using something like ActiveX. The sooner our browsers start rejecting bad code, the better.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Wevah
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 01:02 PM

Yeah. User-agent sniff = bad; JS property/method sniff = not quite so bad.

[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

sheer
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 02:41 PM

I can't ftp into my powerbook now from the pc on my local network. No settings have changed (other than installing this security update). I get a '530 login incorrect' error :/

Any ideas please ppl?

pharmelink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 03:22 PM

Work at Grand Valley State University and now our website looks all funky.

www.gvsu.edu

the text appearing at the top is supposed to be the menu options of the graphic below, which of course are also not working.

OH well its IE for a while.

PDH
Thanks

Paul

york28
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Wevah:
Yeah. User-agent sniff = bad; JS property/method sniff = not quite so bad.
Indeed. I'm a firm believer in building sites that work in all browsers, at least any modern ones (IE 5+, Netscape 7, Safari, etc.). I know for a fact that it's not that hard if you know what you're doing, and plan for it from the start.

Users need to complain to the sites about their sites sucking, not to Apple. While the overall quality of certain high-profile sites has improved in the past few years, there are still many, many sites that use code that will make any web coder cry.

(This is all said from someone who avoids client-side scripting at all costs because of these type of problems. If you have to use any kind of client-side detection, it's often a lot easier to just do it on the server and not have to worry about it. Specialized applications, such as those on an intranet, may break this rule.)

And while I haven't looked at the code of these sites directly, using JavaScripting to impliment layout/content is a bad, bad idea.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

utidjian
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by pharmelink:
Work at Grand Valley State University and now our website looks all funky.

www.gvsu.edu

the text appearing at the top is supposed to be the menu options of the graphic below, which of course are also not working.

OH well its IE for a while.
I tried your GVSU site, www.bestbuy.com, and my.fedex.com and they all are hosed in Safari (after the update). Allof them work fine, however, in Mozilla-1.7 for Mac OS X. No need to use IE yet.
-DU-...etc...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by utidjian:
I tried your GVSU site, www.bestbuy.com, and my.fedex.com and they all are hosed in Safari (after the update). Allof them work fine, however, in Mozilla-1.7 for Mac OS X. No need to use IE yet.
Indeed, but in the meantime, I strongly suggest that you get your university's site to clean up its code. That is some of the crappiest HTML I've ever seen, and believe me, I've seen a more than a few messes.

Sites will never improve until browsers start excising the cancer that is this so-called "forgiving" parsing. It's time we held HTML to the same standard we hold any other programming language: either it's correct or it doesn't work at all.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 05:44 PM

You don't need browsers to be unforgiving. You can check for correctness elsewhere:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...ww.gvsu.edu%2F

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2004, 06:22 PM

You don't need browsers to be unforgiving. You can check for correctness elsewhere:
But ultimately the browsers are what "run" the HTML code, and so the responsibility for demanding correct code lies there. Nowhere else.

We expect the same from scripting languages, when they are run by a compiler. We expect the same from machine language run by a processor, and compiled languages when run through a compiler. There is no reason to expect any less of HTML.

blurble
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 06:58 PM

I am also having this problem. I had to resort to using windows sharing

Originally posted by sheer:
I can't ftp into my powerbook now from the pc on my local network. No settings have changed (other than installing this security update). I get a '530 login incorrect' error :/

Any ideas please ppl?

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 08:28 PM

Apparently sftp still works.

See http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ which has more detail.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 10:05 PM

O.K. ppp dialer still sux. My ppp connect still hangs since the introduction of Jaguar.
I have to say, if I didn't know better and failed to appreciate what Panther brings to the table I'd have to say what a piece of s**t. Safari now requires standards compliance. again if I didn't know better...... Just fix the f***in internet connect ppp dialup. Christ almighty...
it's 2004!!!!!!

an0therdumbsn
Sep 8, 2004, 11:04 PM

hmmm i think ill take the security risk and not go through with this update.

sheer
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by blurble:
I am also having this problem. I had to resort to using windows sharing
Rediculous isn't it. I'm already behind NAT and a hardware firewall, and only go online with the mac to update the software and turn ftp access off when I do go online.

I anyone can give me some tips on SFTP access using FlashFXP I'd be very grateful. tia.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 08:17 AM

To be fair, after my initial annoyance. When I boot ( or reboot ) and then log in and everything appears to load and the menue bar is complete, there iag time of about 6 seconds when another piece of software appears to load as indicated by disk activity. this takes another 4 or five seconds and completes. If I am in a hurry and fail to wait for this piece of sofware, I get the hang in PPP connect. The only way to clear it is a hard shutdown via the start button and a reboot, being mindfull to wait untill the lagging bit of software apparently loads. Another note: If i log out overnight and log in in the morning without restarting, I'll sometimes get the hang. Restarting, logging in and waiting for the lagging piece of software is 100% effective in curing the PPP dialup hang. I have been doing this for over a year. Maybe a fresh install would slove the problem. I am very meticulous about housekeeping, and other than this small annoyance, Panther is rock solid, both on my networked AL 15 PB and my dual 1.25. Interestingly, this problem is not evident on the Powerbook.

Preciousss
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Orion27:
To be fair, after my initial annoyance. When I boot ( or reboot ) and then log in and everything appears to load and the menue bar is complete, there iag time of about 6 seconds when another piece of software appears to load as indicated by disk activity. this takes another 4 or five seconds and completes. If I am in a hurry and fail to wait for this piece of sofware, I get the hang in PPP connect. The only way to clear it is a hard shutdown via the start button and a reboot, being mindfull to wait untill the lagging bit of software apparently loads. Another note: If i log out overnight and log in in the morning without restarting, I'll sometimes get the hang. Restarting, logging in and waiting for the lagging piece of software is 100% effective in curing the PPP dialup hang. I have been doing this for over a year. Maybe a fresh install would slove the problem. I am very meticulous about housekeeping, and other than this small annoyance, Panther is rock solid, both on my networked AL 15 PB and my dual 1.25. Interestingly, this problem is not evident on the Powerbook.
Not sure if the above post is offtopic, but I'l reply anyway. I have a fresh install of 10.3.5 on a TiBook Superdrive and still have dialup problems as described by many folks out there (dropped connections, no handshaking, silence for a long time before it even starts dialling, the dreaded Exception state message loop that required a hard shutdown, etc.). All of this without applying the security update. I think people have narrowed this down to 10.3.5 modem problems.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Preciousss:
Not sure if the above post is offtopic, but I'l reply anyway. I have a fresh install of 10.3.5 on a TiBook Superdrive and still have dialup problems as described by many folks out there (dropped connections, no handshaking, silence for a long time before it even starts dialling, the dreaded Exception state message loop that required a hard shutdown, etc.). All of this without applying the security update. I think people have narrowed this down to 10.3.5 modem problems.
The problem has been around long before 10.3.5. The only difference I noticed with the new security update is when PPP gets around to dialing, it dials the number a little quicker.
Other than that, PPP remains the hack it's always been. Not to mention watching the connecting "crawl" fit, start and stutter across the menu bar. So inelegant and so unApple.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2004, 10:43 PM

From Max Fixit

"This may not be the OS alone causing the problem. I had a similar
problem with an iMac and got very involved with Apple Tech Support
over a period of a month. What I found out is that Apple was not using a
standard modem in these computers. The Tech Rep said they were
using something called a "hybred modem". He said the modem was
approx half hardware and half software. They knew the modem was
causing these problems but he told me that Apple was putting them in
at least the G5's. I know something must have been wrong when Apple
authorized the local Apple dealer to give me a free external Zoom
modem to replace the internal modem in the iMac. These problem may
be a result of some changes in the OS but the problem may be in the
modem. By the way since hooking up the Zoom modem the problem
was solved. Hope this helps"

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 07:25 PM

so is this thing safe to install yet?

Orion27
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Blue Flame:
so is this thing safe to install yet?
Absolutely!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2004, 11:16 PM

Version 1.1 of this update was just re(?)released tonight. I just installed it. Fixed Best Buy's website, and all other sites that were having problems, apparently. All seems well!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 14, 2004, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I should love to see a website with Apple's worst software ****-ups: e.g. iTunes deleting partitions, PPP hang bug, random Panther freezes etc...

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Version 1.1 of this update was just re(?)released tonight. I just installed it. Fixed Best Buy's website, and all other sites that were having problems, apparently. All seems well!
I was also unaware of the problems with some websites, but it's good they fixed it. The 1.1 update reset my Airport login information and I had to enter my long 128-bit encrypted password again, but no other apparent problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules