Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Connecting a PB12" to a TV

Connecting a PB12" to a TV
cxwing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 06:14 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm sooooo close to buying my first Mac, a PB12" but I need to make sure everything is "perfect"! My question of the day is: can I connect a PB12" to a TV? The PB specs on the Apple site only mention an S-Video adapter for the 15 and 17". My wife really wants this feature so we can watch our photos on the TV. If this connection is possible, can you select PAL or NTSC output? Thanks.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by cxwing:
Hi everyone,
I'm sooooo close to buying my first Mac, a PB12" but I need to make sure everything is "perfect"! My question of the day is: can I connect a PB12" to a TV? The PB specs on the Apple site only mention an S-Video adapter for the 15 and 17". My wife really wants this feature so we can watch our photos on the TV. If this connection is possible, can you select PAL or NTSC output? Thanks.
I believe it will automatically select... When I have connected my Pismo to a TV in the past, the Displays control panel lists the other display as a "TV (NTSC)" with some information about resolution, etc, but you get the point. That is how it should work.

I have not hooked my 15" Aluminum up to the TV yet, but I imagine it's even easier
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2004, 06:23 PM

Yes you can connect your PB to your TV.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cxwing  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Yes you can connect your PB to your TV.
Do you need an adapter or is there a dedicated connector? Thanks.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2004, 06:26 PM

You have to buy the separate video/s-video adapter, but aside from that it is pretty easy to hook it up to a TV.

nickday
Sep 21, 2004, 09:52 PM

It's the 'Mini-DVI to Video Adapter' that you need to get from Apple, which will give you a composite and s-video output, which you connect one of to your TV.

Nick

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 06:44 AM

Only $20.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2004, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Only $20.

they're no longer included!?

my rev a came with a vga - s-video/rca adapter...

bbales
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

they're no longer included!?

my rev a came with a vga - s-video/rca adapter...

As did mine. Must confess,though, that I've never used it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2004, 11:56 AM

The new models give you the mini-DVI and mini-DVI to VGA adapters. The old ones gave you mini-VGA and video. So you get two adapters in either case, just different ones.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 01:05 PM

Yeah you have to buy the mini-DVI to s-Video/Composite adapter. Apple could have just as well included it though since you pay $2K for the machine and it's just a cheap adapter (bastards).

Other than that though, if you get one it works great, and yes will auto select NTSC or PAL. You can manually change it if you want to go crazy though.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 01:22 PM

It's funny to see people going the way of the TV to display photos instead of using those old slide projectors. Makes me wish I had a plasma TV to show better quality photos.

cxwing  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
and yes will auto select NTSC or PAL. You can manually change it if you want to go crazy though.
I'm french, have a PAL german TV (Loewe), which supports NTSC as well, and live in the US, so my TV gets a little confused as to which format to use

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
It's funny to see people going the way of the TV to display photos instead of using those old slide projectors. Makes me wish I had a plasma TV to show better quality photos.
I have a 42" plasma and it connects to VGA output of TiPB. Looks great.

Wish I coulf find a good wireless keyboard and trackball so I could use it from recliner 30 feet away.

Any sugestions

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 05:52 PM

I use mine hooked up to the TV all the time for DVD watching and photo viewing.

Only prob I have is you cant seem to set a refresh rate of 100hz in the settings (cos thats what my nice sony tv is)

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
I have a 42" plasma and it connects to VGA output of TiPB. Looks great.

Wish I coulf find a good wireless keyboard and trackball so I could use it from recliner 30 feet away.

Any sugestions
I like your setup. Can you read text on your Plasma from far away?

My PB is also connected to my TV. I recommend the ATI's USB Remote Wonder Mac Edition. It's a remote control that is programmable to launch apps and has the keys for music/photo/dvd management and playback.

Good range too---don't even have to aim it. Bought mine off NewEgg.com based on someone's suggestion here and LOVE it. So much better than getting up off my bed. You can sit back and relax.
Looking forward.

iMacfan
Senior User
Sep 26, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:

Only prob I have is you cant seem to set a refresh rate of 100hz in the settings (cos thats what my nice sony tv is)
Unfortunately, all you'll ever get over the connection is a 25Hz (yes 25!) refresh rate. This is because the normal 50Hz actually does odd lines on its first pass, then even ones on its second. All the 100Hz setting does is do this twice for each frame received, thus to cut flicker and (for me at least) eye strain. This is why sometimes some camera panning at a certain speed can look choppy. It's an excellent feature and I'll never buy another CRT TV (well, I don't think I'll ever buy another CRT at all but that's another matter) without it.

David

cxwing  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:
Unless you explicitly disable it, your TV is doing a 100Hz refresh of the picture. This is totally independent from the signal your Mac is generating, which is 50Hz for PAL and 60Hz for NTSC. Same thing on my Loewe here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules