Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Converting WMV files?

Converting WMV files?
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2004, 01:33 PM

Is there any way to convert a .wmv file to an .mpg or .avi file? What I want to do is take a .wmv video file and convert it to a .mpg video file so that I can play it in my MPlayer. I have searched for an app that can accomplish this task but have been unable to find one. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find an application of any other method that will accomplish a .wmv - .mpg, .mpeg or .avi file? Any and all guidance provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2004, 04:53 PM

if MPlayer can't play it, it's not one of the WMV codecs that can be converted in Mac OS. There are a number of Windows apps that can (TMPGEnc I think, and EO-Video). If the resolution is small, you might try a screen-capture app like Snapz Pro. The results for any of these methods will be of surprisingly low quality.

grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2004, 04:21 PM

These folks are making a lot of noise about that exact thing.

http://www.flip4mac.com/

I read about it in DV Magazine and they seemed impressed. The import module isn't out yet, but the export module is reasonably priced. I'll post something about it whenever we actually get around to purchasing it (it's on our list).

Also, just for playing it you might look into VLC as well. I've found it will play some wmv files that Mplayer can't.
-Grover
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2005, 10:13 PM

MacWorld has a response to this question in this months issue. I scanned it in for you. Check it out here.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 04:05 AM

That article has a few mistakes. Cleaner (formerly Media Cleaner) can export TO Windows Media, but has never been able to import FROM it. Also, you shouldn't spend any money on the windows side, since there are a number of free options. When I had to do this I settled on TMPGEnc which converted WM9 to MPEG with little trouble.

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 11:06 PM

Thanks my Mac brethren for the tips on arriving at an easier resolution to the issue of converting WMV files to MPEG, AVI or any other Quicktime compatible format. It blows me away at the scarcity of applications on the Mac side that confront this frustrating conversion. That FLIPMAC app that is soon to arrive seems to hit the mark though. If it can do what it claims to do then I think problem soved. The freeking limitations of WMV begs for an application that can decode media made in that wretched format and encode it into our beloved Quicktime compatible format so we Macsters can once again rewrite technology to fit our needs. Yes mam !!!
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

gpeden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 03:25 AM

Hi,

I bought Snapz Pro to do it with screen capture and it worked fine for the small ASF video files from a $100 video camera sent to me by a friend. The quality did not seem any worse
Cheers!

Glen

Forum Links
Forum Rules