Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Any advantages of widescreen 17 inch LCDs?

Any advantages of widescreen 17 inch LCDs?
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 04:45 PM

I am looking into buying a 17 inch LCD to use with my iBook (have spanning hack applied), and I am trying to figure out if there is any point to widescreen 17 inch LCDs.

The widescreen 17 in LCDs run at 1280 by 768, while regular 17 inchers run 1280 by 1024. Doesn't one get more "screen real-estate" with a regular 17 inch LCD?

Considering that I can get a regular 17 inch LCD for around $200, is there any advantages of a widescreen?

Thanks in advance.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by zacharydz:
I am looking into buying a 17 inch LCD to use with my iBook (have spanning hack applied), and I am trying to figure out if there is any point to widescreen 17 inch LCDs.

The widescreen 17 in LCDs run at 1280 by 768, while regular 17 inchers run 1280 by 1024. Doesn't one get more "screen real-estate" with a regular 17 inch LCD?

Considering that I can get a regular 17 inch LCD for around $200, is there any advantages of a widescreen?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, you won't be on the cutting edge of style. I personally have wondered the same thing. I think it's just so if you watch a widescreen DVD you don't have to see those horrid black boxes

I would get a regular 17" if I was you. Actually, I would get a regular 19". Mine was less than $300.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2005, 09:01 PM

The main advantage:
Great for widescreen movie watching. The actual picture are on a widescreen will be larger than a regular monitor .... even if the width in pixels is exactly the same (believe it or not ... I can show you mathematically if you like).

Apple's 17" widescreen panels have 1440 x 900 pixels... which is actually more screen real estate than a 1280 x 1024 (by a little bit). However, if you're looking at a 1280 x 768 model then, yes, it will have fewer total pixels than the 1280 x 1024.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 1, 2005, 04:41 AM

That depends on how you work:

For DVDs widescreen is better.
If you read long documents (but only one at a time) the classical shape is better. If you have to compare two docs -> widescreen...
If you use photoshop with pallettes at the side, widescreen is great.

In your special case where the widescreen has the same amount of horizontal pixels it is indeed pointless to go for the widescreen (except if it were cheaper). Widescreen is an advantage if it had more pixels horizontally and then of course less vertically compared to a 4:3 shape.

With an iBook or Powerbook less pixel result in less gpu heat. As soon as you connect an external screen to your iBook and switch on Monitor spanning, the gpu has to render significantly more pixels. So more pixels externally make your fan run more often.

But I doubt that the difference between 768 and 1024 will have a big impact on fan noise. I assume the fan will run non-stop with an external screen attached (the same as with the 12 inch powerbooks).
( Last edited by I was David B.; Apr 1, 2005 at 07:50 AM. )

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 09:40 AM

I just wish someone (especially Apple) would bring to market a stand-alone 1440x900 17" LCD display like Apple uses in the iMac and 17" PB. That would make a killer display for the Mac mini and satify those who don't want to spend $1000 on an Apple 20" widescreen but still want to own an Apple-branded display. Yeah, yeah... I know Dell's 20" widescreen can be had for around $550. But still, a compact, widescreen 17" would fit right in to Apple's lineup for displays I think.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 01:38 PM

I totally agree that Apple should release a 17" LCD in the lineup they have now, but Apple will never hear our cries. Oh well.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules