Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Grand Opening, La Cantera

Grand Opening, La Cantera
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2005, 09:16 AM

This Friday in San Antonio... A new Apple store! Woo Hoo!!!

Rey :)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2005, 12:07 PM

Not to rain on your Apple Store parade, but...

The Apple Store is the ONLY reason I'd ever go to "Pretention City." At all. The rest of it will just make it even harder than it already is to get to the main UTSA campus. Dillards and Macy's-yawn. Unless I get some real hankering to see a bunch of "never going off road ever" SUVs (mostly driven by high-maintenance chickies with ponytails sticking out the backs of their A&F baseball caps), I'm going to stay as far away as possible.

I didn't know about the Apple Store before now, but it only slightly changes my attitude about the whole place.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2005, 05:54 PM

I seem to have extinguished this thread with my venom. Sorry about that. There is far too much construction in the Hill Country of Texas, and this particular shopping center, "The Shops at La Cantera," is way over the top. It's aimed at high end shoppers through hosting very high end stores, and it is unfortunately pretty close to right across the highway from the main entrances of the University of Texas at San Antonio-a campus built for about 20,000 students that currently has over 28,000 enrolled (and I'm one of them).

I am happy that the nearest Apple Store is now in town instead of all the way to Austin (and I haven't figured out why they chose Barton Creek Mall for the store there), but I wish they'd chosen to put the San Antonio store in an existing mall, and not contributed to the excessive destruction of the local ecology. And I'm adamant about conservation, particularly near the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2005, 09:51 PM

I agree with the environmental concerns. It's a mixed feeling thing for me too. Unfortunately San Antonio has bent over backwards for developers and lemmings that people are, they've stampeded out to live, work, and shop at 281 and 1604 or out I10 where la Cantera is. We drove out to Fredricksburg last month and I was amazed at how much what passes for civilization has gone up, big boxe stores and fast food places, literally littering the landscape.

I probably won't make too many in-store purchases becauses of my education discount (and our current budgeting) But I'm sure we'll eventually be in the neighborhood enough to stop by and fondle the lovely Apple merchandise.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 07:28 AM

You know I refrained from replying to you (ghporter) not because of the comments about Dillards & Macy's, I agree with you there, but because of your comments about the "high maintenance chickies" and "never going off road ever" SUV's... Not sure if you've seen the rest of the world, but that's it...

MOST people are buying the creature comforts for themselves AND their spoiled children. Not saying EVERYONE is like that though, but I am going to argue that San Antonio is not the only city that is like this. To generalize about someone's hometown is just as ignorant as the high maintenance chickies who are oblivious to traffic around them who are talking on cell phones while driving those never-going-off-road-ever SUVs. What I'm saying is that to just dump on a city because of what is there (and everywhere else) because you're not from here is just lame.

Furthermore I do agree with your construction comments, it eats up what we had in natural landscape, it adds to the confusion that we have at UTSA in congestion (I attend the same University) and it is one step closer to encroaching on the Edwards Aquifer recharge zone. Fact of that matter (and again, I'm not in favor of it) is that every place is more congested than even just yesterday. The only places that have less people in it compared to a few days ago are disaster stricken areas where cities had to be evacuated.

I guess no matter what someone does there'll always be a "downer". Someone posts "Hey, I'm happy, an Apple store for my home town! Yippee!!!" "Yeah, but they've killed trees, built on an overly congested area, and they aren't in a city with low maintenance girls. That AND people there drive SUV's that won't ever go off the beaten path." I guess what I'm saying is that with ALL of the already negative aspects of life in general, try to contribute to it in a positive manner. If you're gonna trash stuff, may as well be cutting trees down and littering. You cut mine down anyway.

Rey.

P.S. Quesera, I agree with you, too. Again, I agree with BOTH of you, not trying to be an ahole, just trying to say that this wasn't about the political/economical/social/environmental impact, as a grand opening of ANY store doesn't really play into any of my simple statement. Out of all the crap that we already have in S.A., I was just happy that we were gonna see an Apple store. Now I'm going to almost feel ashamed to be there on Friday instead of eagerly opening the store...

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 14, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stingrey
MOST people are buying the creature comforts for themselves AND their spoiled children. Not saying EVERYONE is like that though, but I am going to argue that San Antonio is not the only city that is like this. To generalize about someone's hometown is just as ignorant as the high maintenance chickies who are oblivious to traffic around them who are talking on cell phones while driving those never-going-off-road-ever SUVs. What I'm saying is that to just dump on a city because of what is there (and everywhere else) because you're not from here is just lame.
Actually I was generalizing about the kind of people attracted to high-end shopping centers, not San Antonio in general. The SUV-soccer mom set aren't the ones who will fill those huge parking lots- it's the "high income, not a thought about the environment or anyone else" bunch that will be there. I have no problem with commerce or progress, but I do have a problem with the small but visible percentage of people here in SA that insist on being the center of the universe-particularly the way they drive!-and have no apparent idea that they are not alone on the planet.

With the amount of empty retail space all over San Antonio, I would have thought that Apple would have chosen a more environmentally and socially enlightened location. I'm sorry they didn't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules