Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Odd sleep behavior after RAM upgrade

Odd sleep behavior after RAM upgrade
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 08:39 AM

I recently upgraded my Sawtooth to 1.38 Gb of RAM with an OWC 512Mb stick of RAM (PC133-333). I ran Rember multiple times and it reported no errors. I can put my computer to sleep and it will wake without problems if the time it sleeps is relatively short. If I let it sleep for about half an hour or less, it wakes up with no problem. However, when I let it sleep overnight, it sometimes will try to wake up and sometimes and all the fans will go on, but the monitor remains blank. It used to wake from sleep flawlessly. Is this a memory incompatibility?

The RAM I have installed now are:

DIMM0/j21 - 512 MB - SDRAM - PC133-322
DIMM1/J22 - 512 MB - SDRAM - PC133-333 (the new OWC chip)
DIMM2/J23 - 256 MB - SDRAM - PC100-322S

(I ended up removing my 128 MB chip to see if that would somehow fix the problem, which it didn't; which on a side note, it that 128 MB chip was ECC, which I didn't realize until looking at the system profiler; I was under the assumtion that Sawtooths couldn't accept ECC ram)

Additionally, I recently replaced teh PRAM battery, which did not fix the sleep issue. I would understand the problem if the sleep never worked, but the time limit problem is baffling me...
( Last edited by zacharydz; Feb 17, 2006 at 09:21 AM. )
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 09:42 PM

I possibly fixed the problem, but I'll have to test it with an extended sleep. I had a 120 GB and a 40 GB connected to a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 pci card and a really old 30 GB Quantum Fireball hooked up to the regular ATA 66 channel on the motherboard. I was having problems with the Fireball disappearing occasionally after a reboot. Multiple reboots would sometimes get the Fireball to mount. Then occasionally my 120 GB wasn't showing up in the finder. The last time the Fireball didn't mount, I checked Disk Utility and tried to mount it, and it didn't work and it failed on disk check. So I just pulled the Fireball and now everything is working. That drive came with an old PIII, so it has to be about 6 years old, so I guess it's more surprising that it lasted this long.

Ironically, I have all the RAM installed. I completely re-arranged each chip in a different socket. I reseated them all when I originally had the problem, so I'm assuming that it was just the dying HD that was messing everything up. Kinda weird.

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 03:19 PM

Grrr...the computer didn't wake up from sleep this morning

So I pulled out the OWC Ram, and thus back down to 896 MB of RAM. Hopefully I won't have anymore problems. Do you think OWC would accept this RAM back?

Forum Links
Forum Rules