Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Halo Mods/Hacks on a Mac

Halo Mods/Hacks on a Mac
Tomster
Senior User
Dec 30, 2003, 07:05 PM

Anyone having any success applying mods to the Mac version of Halo? There are a ton of PC sites detailing this but I've had little success with any of the info there.

The map files between the mac and pc versions are byte for byte identical. All of the offsets and meta data are the same, yet any changes which work on the pc will cause the game to crash on a Mac.

So far I am only working on the single player maps. I should be able to change the projectile of any weapon to anything I choose by changing three bytes, but no luck so far. My pistol should be firing rockets now, but the game hangs before it can load the level. There might be a checksum in the Mac version.

Anyone remember the days of moding Marathon? The Spanker rocket which fired exploding Bobs was quite a favorite. I'm looking forward to messing with the physics models of this game. Anyone manage to make the mods work yet?
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

jtwiskowski
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2003, 10:18 PM

I am glad you are doing this, and thanks for letting us know. I have tried many PC maps to no avail. They "should" work.

Let me know if I can help in anyway, though besides testing I do not know if I can be good for much.

[email protected]

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 31, 2003, 01:26 AM

Yahoo! Success! I can now mod Halo for the Mac! It is sort of massively fun having a pistol that fires fuel rods. Or a rifle that shoots rockets. Or tank rounds.

What I did differently this time. When I read the PC-Halo mod boards, they suggested an overwrite. When hex editing the maps, simply overwrite the value you wanted to change. On the Mac, this brought the game to a screaming crash. I concluded there had to be some checksum for the file that the new values were now skewing. To remedy this, I swapped out the two values, i.e., pistol data written over fuel rod and fuel rod overwriting pistol. I also swapped out eleven bytes of the weapon data instead of the three bytes recommended on the PC side.

So for all you MacHalo modders out there, grab HexEdit and have fun. If anyone has any questions on this, feel free to ask.

Finally, thanks to the PC Halo hackers out there who figured out the offsets!
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Tomster  (op)
Senior User
Dec 31, 2003, 02:00 AM

Just a followup. It is not necessary to change the 11 bytes as I did. I would suggest downloading a list of Halo offsets and swapping out the three bytes as recommended.

BTW, a Scorpion tank round is not a good choice for close quarter combat!
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

BPSooner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 06:21 PM

I need the data (hex edit) code 4 the seagull so i can put a seagull in bloodgulch

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 06:35 PM

Bah, I'm still waiting for a Universal patch for Halo... might make me a little more inclined to pick up a new MacBook when they are released...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules