Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iCurve bad?

iCurve bad?
iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 01:34 PM

My 100GB/7200RPM drive from the Apple store online started to make tons of noise recently, so I took it in to the Apple Store, sat there, waited and... nothing.

They took it in, looked at it for a few days, and ran all kinds of diagnostics finding absolutely nothing wrong.

I got it back and put it on the iCurve, and within a half hour, the drive started churning (yes, on the leftish side of the computer, no optical media), and grinding away. Since then, I've started to place the PowerBook flat (much to the dismay of my neck), and... nothing. Same in my studio.

I can only conclude that for my setup, for some reason, the iCurve screws up the drive.

Alas.

SpyManiac007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 02:02 PM

Well the iCurve is slanted some. My only guess could be that it messes the arm of the HD...

Burn
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 03:49 PM

Never had a problem with any notebook used on an iCurve, including my 17" MBP (same drive). Just for the record. Maybe it's a sign of a failing drive? There is no way you'd be expected to have a notebook comp on a completely flat surface at all times of use. ?

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 03:56 PM

That's what I thought, Burn.

But, the Apple Store said they ran their own diagnostics and third-party diagnostics, and S.M.A.R.T reported no problems.

This is a FYI, more than anything. The thing was always on an iCurve (since Oct. last yr.).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2006, 04:13 PM

Just for the record, my 15" MBP, 15" PB and 12" PB are all on iCurves and they never showed any sign of HDD problems. Maybe you just had bad luck with your HDD.

jmgriff
Aug 2, 2006, 05:22 PM

I've also used an iCurve (and a Roadtools Travellerpad) with various PowerBooks without experiencing any issues.

SMART isn't definitive, so the drive could still be failing. When my last laptop HD died it was still showing 'SMART staus Verified' several days after it had stopped booting the computer and was making all kinds of bad noises.

Still, I'd suggest using something like SmartMonTools to monitor the drives SMART status which might provide some advanced warning of failure... and try the hardware diagnostic on the restore disc - it identified my faulty drive.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2006, 04:51 PM

Eek! RPM! Must have Installer!

Like I said, Apple ran all their diagnostics and then some, and nothing. I'm sure the drive will fail on me, but "backup, backup, backup!" has always been my mantra (2x DVD copies of projects, Déjà Vu backup every night to an external FW drive). Just waiting now. Seeing as they won't fix it 'til it's broken…

Forum Links
Forum Rules