Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > bug list: iTunes 2 & OS 9.1

bug list: iTunes 2 & OS 9.1
bugs
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2001, 08:31 PM

I'm having lots of problems with this that y'all don't seem to have.
Any suggestions about this?

internet radio:
Can't connect. Worked fine with iT v1. I have 9 favorite stations and none of them now work.

Drag & Drop, double-click mp3 file:
When I open an mp3 file in iTunes it now 'processes' it which takes several seconds during which the computer is completely frozen. Then it is ready to play. If I D&D the same file a second time it still needs 'processing' and ties up the computer. If I D&D a folder full of files, I have time to drink a cup of coffee before I can use the computer again.

Sound stops:
After playing a while, the sound stops. iTunes indicates it is still playing, the timer still runs etc, but there's no sound. Hit spacebar 2 times and the sound returns for another 5 minutes or so.

There's more you can help me with later but these three are critical.

I'm using a PowerMac 9600/350/G4/OS 9.1/cable modem. (no built-in USB port but I have fully functioning USB & FireWire ports.)
iMac 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 6GB, OS 10.6.8
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Core i7 8GB. OS 10.6.8
iPhone 3GS 32GB, OS 5 / TiBook / Newton (2)

iPaul UK
Senior User
Nov 5, 2001, 11:06 PM

Not used it very heavily yet. But the first thing I noticed on iTunes 2, on two seperate Macs, One, running OS 9.1, the other running OS 9.2.1, was the control strip module doesn't work. Not big deal to pop an alias in the favorites and start it from there instead though I guess. Anyone else had this? The only thing I could think of was that I installed the US iTunes 2 version onto UK/English versions of the Mac OS (localised versions of iTunes 2 are not avalailable at the time of writing this). But I can't see why that would cause such a problem. Oh well!

Oh! And the cross fader feature is complete crap.

I'd bet on a minor update to iTunes 2 pretty soon.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2001, 11:14 PM

not having any of these problems, itunes 2.0 with 9.2.1...
why is the crossfader crap?? i love the songs overlapping...
works as advertised...

not an apple worshipper, just an admirer...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Fredo
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 01:59 PM

Hey iPaul,
I have the same problem with my iTunes control strip module. Once the application is open, however, it works fine.
No big deal...otherwise, I like all the improvements over v1.1.
Who are the Brain Police?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Nov 7, 2001, 10:48 AM

Fredo, Phew! Glad it's not just me having that problem then. But as the control strip module didn't work, I junked it. And just start iTunes 2 from an alias in the favorites folder instead. Like I said, no big deal really.

Fisher, I thought the crossfader feature was crap simply because it really doesn't work as a cross fader is supposed to. The transition from one song into the next should be a smooth blend.. But iTunes 2 somehow doesn't quite manage it too well. A few of my mac using friends have noticed this too. So again, it's not just me.

But I think these are relatively minor bugs.. After all, iTunes is free! So I ain't gonna complain too much really.

Capacola
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2001, 11:34 AM

I just had to update about 100 songs (iTunes 2 could not find them) I was just going to drag all of them into iTunes again, but I didn't recognize it as the same song.

Also, it takes way too long to change Song Information.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2001, 12:50 PM

When Apple has trouble writing quality software on their own Operating System, on their own hardware, it makes you wonder...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2001, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
<STRONG>When Apple has trouble writing quality software on their own Operating System, on their own hardware, it makes you wonder...</STRONG>
not working for apple, my loyalty is always to well-designed, working apps; when things don't work well (netscape 6.2 for instance), i'm the first to call them on it...

having said that, i find iTunes to work nearly flawlessly, and appreciate the enhancements in v2...

maybe it's time to explore the problems: possible extension conflicts, etc.
reinstall itunes. try things. look for those conflicts.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

a-poria
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2001, 12:52 PM

I am curious if anyone else has experienced the loss of system volume control (via keyboard) when running iTunes 2 in 9.2.1? If so, how have you resolved it? Otherwise I've had no problems with iTunes - a nice improvement.

(If looking for an alternative to control strip there is always the wonderfully simple BeHierarchic.)

a-poria

Pismo 400 20/512

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2001, 02:41 PM

apple insists on having the volume buttons on our keyboards control iTunes when it's running...

beat it by holding down option & shift...then try the volume buttons

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2001, 02:49 PM

awwwwww!!!! fisher king.... 666 posts!

everybody duck & cover, the beast is comin'!!!!!

"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
<STRONG>awwwwww!!!! fisher king.... 666 posts!

everybody duck & cover, the beast is comin'!!!!!

</STRONG>
yo, the path to 667 must be thru 666...or should i say yea,..???

the point??? (what was this thread about??)

Darth_Ellis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2001, 05:44 AM

Here's a new one...

After installing iTunes 2.0 (B/W G3-350; 320MB ram; Yamaha 8x8x24 IDE-CDRW) I launch it and it can play and import songs through my CDRW, or through my iTunes library. As soon as I click on the preferences panel and ask iTunes to look for my burner, it says that it can't find it and from that point on, my CDRW is locked, iTunes can't play from it, can't import from it. I have no choice but to perform a complete restart.

Any ideas?

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2001, 10:58 AM

I've discovered one mp3 that I cannot get iTunes 2 to accept. It will not let me drag it into the library or into a playlist. QT 5 plays the mp3 just fine, though.

Any thoughts?

<bugs>
Nov 13, 2001, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by TheDoctor:
<STRONG>I've discovered one mp3 that I cannot get iTunes 2 to accept. It will not let me drag it into the library or into a playlist. QT 5 plays the mp3 just fine, though.

Any thoughts?</STRONG>
Not much info to start with (where'd it come from, what program created it...)

One thing I discovered is that the file must have ",mp3" somewhere in the name to be accepted by iTunes. Doesn't matter if it appears as an iTunes file in the Finder.

I have an old shareware program called SoundApp that plays many files that other sound programs can't understand. It also displays information about the sound file that may explain why other programs don't understand it.

bugs  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2001, 04:25 AM

I started this thread hoping for answers. It seems that I am the only person on earth with these problems so, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll just go and shoot myself now. Life without iTunes just isn't worth living.

I reinstalled iTunes 1.1 and it plays my MP3s as it should but it can't play radio broadcasts any more.

Now where'd I leave that Browning...

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 05:28 AM

Very new programs always have problems.

I am just going to stick to v1.0 for now thank you very much!

bugs  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2001, 01:38 AM

Oh joy!

I tried about 100 radio stations last night and 4 of them connected. And then disconnected almost immediately. I finally found a 124kbps broadcast that was solid and sounded excellent.

My favorite stations that I've enjoyed for years are no longer available via iTunes.

Other problems continue...

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2001, 07:43 PM

Hmm. I'm having troubles connecting to radio stations too. It'll connect, but as soon as the "buffering" dialog comes up, it goes away, and I get no stream. Too bad, I liked iTunes.

<superlarry @ a cafe>
Nov 16, 2001, 11:33 PM

my biggest complaint (after turning crossfading and sound enhancement off) is the massive "processing" time required either in the background when changing ID3 tags or in the foreground when you happen to add a song that's already on your playlist. 1.1 was fine with this second one, happily skipping over the existing file because it was already there; why do the work? so when i update my playlists between system 9 and OSX, it's a ridiculously long wait to drag my music folder into the playlist unless i clear the playlist out. i don't get it!

rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2001, 01:55 PM

Installed iTunes 2 on my G3 Pismo Powerbook running OS 9.1. It started crashing as soon as I tried using the internet radio tuner. Also crashed looking for my CD-RW.

Went back iTunes 1.1 and everything works as before. Too bad, I really like that 2 would play the visuals full screen on my 2nd monitor.

Hopefully they will fix it soon. Seems strange that a 2.0 version would be worse than the 1.1, like they broke things that used to work.

Vsx1
Nov 25, 2001, 10:38 AM

My beef with iTunes 2.0 is that the bass seems to be overdriven even at very low volumes (flat setting). I'm glad 2.0 came with an EQ to adjust the bass. iTunes needs an update.
Vsx1
[email protected]
[email protected]
http://www.appleisp.net/~vsxone

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2001, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Vsx1:
<STRONG>My beef with iTunes 2.0 is that the bass seems to be overdriven even at very low volumes (flat setting). I'm glad 2.0 came with an EQ to adjust the bass. iTunes needs an update.</STRONG>

everyone seems to be having this problem.
try backing the sound enhancer off a bit (left of center),
this will help IMMENSELY.

otherwise, i love itunes 2, especially the crossfading.
no problems on my pismo, 9.2.1

Forum Links
Forum Rules