Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Fingerprint required to start a car, good idea?

Fingerprint required to start a car, good idea?
Rumor
Aug 25, 2007, 01:47 AM

Retrofit a fingerprint immobilizer in your car - Autoblog

I vaguely remember seeing something on Mythbusters a long time ago showing how easily these can be bypassed. Would it make a difference to thieves? The article mentions that a "valet" mode for when it's at the shop or being parked by someone other than a listed driver. I suppose it could be circumvented and broken into that way as well.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 02:26 AM

MARK OF THE BEAST™

I swear I know people who will speculate that this is the beginning...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 02:27 AM

On a serious note, I think this is a bad idea. Like you said, it will be manipulated somehow, someway.

Does seem cool though, from a geek's standpoint.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 07:38 PM

Keys are no 1900s. Anything else would be a welcomed change.

But I'm not loaning anyone my finger to borrow my car. Except maybe the middle one.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Keys are no 1900s. Anything else would be a welcomed change.

But I'm not loaning anyone my finger to borrow my car. Except maybe the middle one.
It is rather bizarre, isn't it, that we still use keys in a such a complicated, computerized device? As long as it's reliable and works when it's supposed to, I would be all for it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2007, 07:50 PM

I wouldn't want it. The more complicated something is, the more likely it is to **** up. This is the same reason I don't get CD or DVD players with disc changers — that's just one more thing to break. I trust a simple, mechanical key. I don't want to get locked out of my car because it forgets what my finger looks like.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2007, 08:02 PM

I Digg it.
C'mon rumor. That was too easy.

Rumor  (op)
Aug 25, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I Digg it.
C'mon rumor. That was too easy.
You took the bait, but I expected you to do so faster. If you are going to troll, do so with everyone, otherwise you are harassing me.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It is rather bizarre, isn't it, that we still use keys in a such a complicated, computerized device? As long as it's reliable and works when it's supposed to, I would be all for it.
I work for an automotive supplier that has developed a Passive Entry / Passive Start system for GM. You carry the key fob, which looks like any standard keyless entry transmitter. It detects the FOB in your pocket when you pull on the door handle and opens the door. But with this device, you just carry it and push a button to start the car (hence the "passive" part).

Ironically, the fob still has a key that either flips out or is hidden inside. You insert it into a rather hidden slot to open the door if the system fails. There is always a mechanical fallback.

I'm trying to figure out how to put the system on my 77 Continental.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2007, 08:56 PM

I think I would rather see a smart card (like a credit card) that knows when I've approached the vehicle, and unlocks it and simply permits me to turn on the vehicle with the push of a button.

Keys are so 2006

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2007, 09:46 PM

Yes, Bluetooth to a key in your pocket sound great - I can't believe this isn't common across all product lines. A fingerprint sound stupid, unless it is only as a backup. First, what if you are in an emergency and it can't scan you finger quick enough? Second, what if your child wants to drive your car - you have to take the time to enroll him/her? What if you neeed a friend to take you to the hospital? There are too many "what ifs" where a simple wireless exchange with a key fob in your pocket and a push button could solve.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
You took the bait, but I expected you to do so faster. If you are going to troll, do so with everyone, otherwise you are harassing me.
So, you admit to baiting me?!?! That's a ban-worthy offense!

Oh, and no one else tried to flood the Lounge with Digg articles like you did.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2007, 11:26 PM

I work for an automotive supplier that has developed a Passive Entry / Passive Start system for GM. You carry the key fob, which looks like any standard keyless entry transmitter. It detects the FOB in your pocket when you pull on the door handle and opens the door. But with this device, you just carry it and push a button to start the car (hence the "passive" part).

Ironically, the fob still has a key that either flips out or is hidden inside. You insert it into a rather hidden slot to open the door if the system fails. There is always a mechanical fallback.

I'm trying to figure out how to put the system on my 77 Continental.
GM has had this in the Corvettes for a while haven't they?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Yes, Bluetooth to a key in your pocket sound great - I can't believe this isn't common across all product lines. A fingerprint sound stupid, unless it is only as a backup. First, what if you are in an emergency and it can't scan you finger quick enough? Second, what if your child wants to drive your car - you have to take the time to enroll him/her? What if you neeed a friend to take you to the hospital? There are too many "what ifs" where a simple wireless exchange with a key fob in your pocket and a push button could solve.
Bluetooth would have to be only as a backup...what happens when your battery runs out and you're locked out of your car? Not a good thing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2007, 02:49 AM

It detects the FOB in your pocket when you pull on the door handle and opens the door.
I know the Chinese are typically slight, but how on earth are you going to get one into your pocket?
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 02:57 AM

Is there any reason why this can't be bypassed any more easily than a key-based system?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 09:03 AM

GM has had this in the Corvettes for a while haven't they?
Yes. But the technology has been changing. At one time, the Corvette used a ball that just rattle over some contacts to transmit whenever you moved. The newer systems use better technology. I think our system will be going on the Camaro.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 12:45 PM

That is exactly like the system inexpensive Renaults have been using from something like six years ago.

Rumor  (op)
Aug 26, 2007, 04:10 PM

So, you admit to baiting me?!?! That's a ban-worthy offense!

Oh, and no one else tried to flood the Lounge with Digg articles like you did.
And you admit to trolling me.

I did that once, what back at the beginning of the year? A mod told me to stop, I did, I apologized and it hasn't happened again.

You ARE NOT a mod. Remember that.

Since this kind of thing is up your alley (cars), I gave you the opportunity to come into this thread with something constructive, yet you begin with some jack ass "I digg it" comment.

You've even done that to thread that didn't come from Digg.

So again, if you are going to troll, do it to everyone, or I'll just begin to report you for harassment.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 04:21 PM

I don't want to derail this thread but at risk of taking it back to the issue of finger print security... Imagine the scenario where you have a flat tire, you stop, change the flat and hop back into your car. You stick your finger now covered with with grease/oil/dirt/sweat on the scanner. It rejects you.

Rumor  (op)
Aug 26, 2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I don't want to derail this thread but at risk of taking it back to the issue of finger print security... Imagine the scenario where you have a flat tire, you stop, change the flat and hop back into your car. You stick your finger now covered with with grease/oil/dirt/sweat on the scanner. It rejects you.
That could be a problem. There would have to be some sort of fail safe.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 05:04 PM

And you admit to trolling me.

I did that once, what back at the beginning of the year? A mod told me to stop, I did, I apologized and it hasn't happened again.

You ARE NOT a mod. Remember that.

Since this kind of thing is up your alley (cars), I gave you the opportunity to come into this thread with something constructive, yet you begin with some jack ass "I digg it" comment.

You've even done that to thread that didn't come from Digg.

So again, if you are going to troll, do it to everyone, or I'll just begin to report you for harassment.
Dude, calm down. Take a deep breath and back away from the keyboard for a little while. All the stress you are experiencing is not good for you.

"I Digg it" means... get this... "I like it". Digg?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 05:22 PM

Dude, calm down. Take a deep breath and back away from the keyboard for a little while. All the stress you are experiencing is not good for you.

"I Digg it" means... get this... "I like it". Digg?
With a double "g".

Right.

Play stupid, but don't pretend that because you're playing stupid, everybody else will suddenly play along.

It hasn't worked for Kevin, and it's not working for you.

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 06:18 PM

IMO - Absolutely useless.

My guess is that anyone that knows how to hot wire a car can easily defeat this as well. The way I see it, these technologies HAS to make it MUCH harder for thieves to steal your car, but at the same time, be no more inconvenient for the owner (to a certain degree of course, any security control will usually require some form of extra effort). In this case, I see it being a major pain in the ass for the owner... while removing very little of the threat.

Oh, and while I'm not a car theft expert... but aren't older / more common cars stolen more? i.e. your run of the mill late model Camry's, Civics, and Corolla's? How much is this going to cost the owner?

As for the GM gadget with the FOB.... I think MB has been doing that for years. I remember seeing that back in 2003 when I was car shopping. And its also standard on Lexus cars (at least the ES).

Railroader
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
With a double "g".

Right.

Play stupid, but don't pretend that because you're playing stupid, everybody else will suddenly play along.

It hasn't worked for Kevin, and it's not working for you.
Hmm.. I guess that's why I "dugg" the story. I guess you don't "digg".

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 06:53 PM

No...I don't.

And your petulant ankle-biting about stuff that's been posted elsewhere is starting to REALLY annoy me.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
No...I don't.

And your petulant ankle-biting about stuff that's been posted elsewhere is starting to REALLY annoy me.
EDIT (Change of heart): You know, out of respect for you, I will stop. Thank you for your concern.
( Last edited by Railroader; Aug 26, 2007 at 08:11 PM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 07:17 PM

Sounded like a good idea, until a Red Dwarf episode had them using the hand of a dead guy to pass thru the security doors. They hid the hand in Listers jacket!!!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2007, 12:21 PM

That could be a problem. There would have to be some sort of fail safe.
You mean like registering all 10 of your fingers?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I know the Chinese are typically slight, but how on earth are you going to get one into your pocket?
I don't understand your question. Get one what into your pocket?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 02:50 PM

He's making a joke about the acronym FOB, Eriamjh - Fresh Off the Boat. It's a popular way (in Chinese circles) to describe recent Chinese immigrants. i.e. it's hard to fit a recent Chinese immigrant in your pocket.

Fingerprint authentication sounds cool, but it works a lot better in film than it does in real life. As for the newer keyless entry key fob technology, is it constantly transmitting the code? That would seem like a security risk.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
He's making a joke about the acronym FOB, Eriamjh - Fresh Off the Boat. It's a popular way (in Chinese circles) to describe recent Chinese immigrants. i.e. it's hard to fit a recent Chinese immigrant in your pocket.

Fingerprint authentication sounds cool, but it works a lot better in film than it does in real life. As for the newer keyless entry key fob technology, is it constantly transmitting the code? That would seem like a security risk.
And ironically, I have no idea WTF the word FOB came from to refer to a keyless transmitter.

Nevermind. I just wiki'd it.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 03:28 AM

I really like starting a car with a key, there is something quite satisfying about it!!!! Although a car that unlocks itself when you get close and then starts itself once you've been sat in the seat for say 5 seconds would be cool!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2007, 03:32 AM

It's just another component to break down and cost the earth to fix.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2007, 04:41 AM

It's a doomsday scenario I know, but it could lead to car-jackings including the loss of a hand/finger as well as your car. Which would suck.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 30, 2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
I really like starting a car with a key, there is something quite satisfying about it!!!! Although a car that unlocks itself when you get close and then starts itself once you've been sat in the seat for say 5 seconds would be cool!!
Except when I'm in a hurry and that 5 seconds lasts an eternity.

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
That is exactly like the system inexpensive Renaults have been using from something like six years ago.
I know, but lets allow these Americans to believe they're at the cutting edge of automotive design. Charity's a nice thing.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 10:46 AM

I vaguely remember seeing something on Mythbusters a long time ago showing how easily these can be bypassed. Would it make a difference to thieves? The article mentions that a "valet" mode for when it's at the shop or being parked by someone other than a listed driver. I suppose it could be circumvented and broken into that way as well.
The myth busters need to bust the myth that fingerprint scanners were busted on Mythbusters. They only bypassed the scanner with the complete cooperation of the authorized user, by xeroxing his finger. Just don't go around xeroxing your finger and your fingerprint scanner will be fine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2007, 11:06 AM

Yeah, it's impossible to get someone's fingerprint without his cooperation…
Chuck
___

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2007, 07:10 PM

It's harder than getting their key (or a copy) without cooperation, unless you're talking about crooked cops or other professionals like bank tellers (in which case crooked locksmiths outweigh them anyway).
( Last edited by Uncle Skeleton; Aug 30, 2007 at 07:17 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules