Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 4gb of RAM by apple store = $700, by kingston = $300. should i?

4gb of RAM by apple store = $700, by kingston = $300. should i?
VictorBoyko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 11:22 PM

is it ok if i put two 2gb modules into macbook pro myself, saving $400?
or i really should stick to the modules offered by apple?

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2007, 11:41 PM

I just ordered 4 GB for my new MBP from otherworldcomputing - less than $200.

VictorBoyko  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 01:50 AM

do i understand correctly that i can put in any brand as long as i comply with pc2-5300 667mhz?

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 01:54 AM

Buying RAM from Apple is a rip off. Just make sure to buy the right RAM for your computer. I actually recently bought some extra RAM from Crucial for my desktop and it works perfectly.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2007, 02:46 AM

No need to get it from Apple. Just make sure you get PC2-5300 DDR2 (PC2-6400 DDR2 will also work) SO-DIMMs (200 pins) that come with a decent warranty and you'll be fine.

VictorBoyko  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 03:52 AM

great, thanks a lot.

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 09:34 AM

I bought 4gb from Other World Computing for less than $200 and haven't had any problems.
They also have a trade-in for the ram you take out of your computer. You don't get much but you might want to look into that.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 05:26 PM

Starting at $165 from NewEgg. Amazing how quickly the price on 2GB modules have dropped. A year ago, they were in the $500 range...

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2007, 12:54 PM

If you're in Europe, you can get it for €185 from Crucial (crucial.com/eu), shipping €7. Works like a charm and installation in a MBP is dead-easy. There's a nice video on YouTube on the upgrade!
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 05:23 PM

The 2-GB DIMM I bought from OWC for $400+ one year ago is now $85...

RAM is a critical component; I recommend against buying RAM from discounters. Stick to OWC and Crucial. OWC gives excellent tech support as regards making sure you get the correct RAM.

BTW installing RAM is very easy, just talk to OWC and buy the appropriate tiny screwdriver when you buy the RAM.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 29, 2007 at 05:30 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 05:30 PM

No need for special tools. Any Phillips size 00 screwdriver will work.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
No need for special tools. Any Phillips size 00 screwdriver will work.

Make sure it's a very clean and sharp 00 Phillips screwdriver-those screws ain't just plain-jane screws. They're a little shallow, which can make a not-so-great screwdriver slip and strip the screwhead.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

prominence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 02:07 AM

any picture instructions for us intel imac users?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by prominence View Post
any picture instructions for us intel imac users?
It's all where you'd expect it to be.

Apple's Intel iMac support pages have a link to a document on performing RAM upgrades and that's where you'll find instructions and nice pictures like these:

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by VictorBoyko
4gb of RAM by apple store = $700, by kingston = $300.
. . . by NewEgg = $150.

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 01:13 PM

It's ridiculous how much Apple charges extra if you buy it directly through them.. then again, Dell and HP are no different.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2007, 03:12 PM

Usually in the IT industry getting upgrades from manufacturer where you buy the original product is more expensive. But then the manufacturer also stocks spares world-wide for quite some time to be able to guarantee the warranty, support contract or other "call to fix" agreements.

Don't know if this also works for Apple this way, considering the difference is a little too big for my taste ...
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 08:36 AM

I got my 4gig modules from OWC, they were 180 at the time. I almost fell out of my chair seeing how much apple wanted. I personally only get my memory from OWC or Crucial. The latter wanted about 300 at the time, even that was hard to justify.

So far my MacBook pro has had 0 problems with them in there and I've been using it every day for about a month with the modules installed.

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
I just ordered 4 GB for my new MBP from otherworldcomputing - less than $200.
OWC is THE place to buy ram for macs. They have awesome prices.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2007, 01:48 PM

Just upgraded my June 2007 MBP 2.4 GHz from 2 GB RAM to 4 (with OWC memory). I am amazed at the quickness bonus in finder, and in apps like safari. Am running 10.4.10.

I simply do not understand why this would make such a difference when I only have a few apps open, but it is definitely noticeable.

cdroadwarrior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 07:45 PM

I have a 1 year old 2.16 ghz MacBook Pro 17". It came with the standard 2x512mb RAM cards, which I wanted to upgrade to 2x1GB RAM cards. I just recently installed Leopard. I ordered a pair from NewEgg for about $50 and the brand was Crucial. When they arrived, they ended up sending 2x2GB RAM cards instead. They were the proper type (2GB 200 PIN SODIMM 256MX64 DDR2 PC2-5300). When I installed them both, my computer would not start up. The "sleep" light would come on but not cycle from bright to dark like when it is asleep. Then I powered down, removed one of the cards, and it started up fine and recognized the 2GB card. I thought that one of the cards might have been bad, but I swapped them out and they both worked in both slots independently, but not together. I then tried installing one of the original 512 cards in addition to the 2GB card to see if it would start and recognize more, but it would just have the "sleep" light come on and make a few noises (like the dvd drive or hard drive was barely moving). Therefore, I verified that both of the slots and both of the new RAM cards work correctly, but not more than one at a time.

I know that my computer (2.16ghz 17" MacBook Pro w/Leopard) on officially takes a max of 2 GB of RAM, but as I understood it that the computer would recognize up to 3.3 Gigs of RAM.

Will a 2.16GHZ MacBook Pro not startup if you exceed at all beyond the 2GB limit? What can I do to make these 2x2GB RAM cards work?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I am very frustrated!

Thanks again and take care,

- Brock

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 09:02 PM

The Core Duo Macs (MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook, Mac mini) only support 2GB, and as you've discovered, they won't boot with more. The first release of Core 2 Duo Macs (MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook) support 3GB, and the latest Core 2 Duo Macs (MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook) support 4GB.

You can either return the 2x2GB you have for 2x1GB and marginally better performance, or use one for now and keep the other for a future Mac purchase.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007, 12:48 PM

Seriously.

2x2GB of mushkin on newegg is $150...err now its $139. (Crap.)

Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Notebook Memory - Retail

I have this in my Santa Rosa MBP and its allsome.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 02:15 PM

OWC has it for $125
link

I read it on xlr8yourmac.com
( Last edited by Kenneth; Nov 17, 2007 at 02:31 AM. Reason: source..)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 10:15 PM

Newegg for $106 ($96 AMIR).

gpeden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 01:55 AM

OWC's just dropped to $120 while I was filling out a shopping cart while shopping & browsing over a span of hours. A sales email from them saved me $5, because I had to use the email link to reset the pricing in my browser I'm happy about that price right now, but what about tomorrow, LOL. Such a good value - imagine hearing that price a couple of years ago.
Cheers!

Glen

Forum Links
Forum Rules