Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Turn Signal Thread

The Turn Signal Thread
ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 05:54 PM

Around here, if you see a signal at all it's timed to say "yes, I meant to do that" instead of "I'm planning to turn left up ahead-plan accordingly." Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I sorta thought the latter was the purpose...

So am I surrounded by rocket surgeons and brain scientists who haven't figured out that control (though they are probably quite fluent in "changing radio station" and "texting while driving")? Or am I surrounded by people who don't care that their actions affect other drivers adversely?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Around here, if you see a signal at all it's timed to say "yes, I meant to do that" instead of "I'm planning to turn left up ahead-plan accordingly." Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I sorta thought the latter was the purpose...
You're apparently both old-fashioned and right.

So am I surrounded by rocket surgeons and brain scientists who haven't figured out that control (though they are probably quite fluent in "changing radio station" and "texting while driving")? Or am I surrounded by people who don't care that their actions affect other drivers adversely?
The latter. Why be considerate to the other people on the road? I hated when the people in perpetually overcast Michigan drove without their lights all the time. Yes, you can probably see OK, but it would be nice if I could see you.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Or am I surrounded by people who don't care that their actions affect other drivers adversely?
Bingo!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2008, 06:07 PM

I rarely see people using their turn signal. I use mine almost all the time and I am the minority here as well. People here like to never use lights of any kind. I see people on the interstate all the time at night who have no lights on at all, or just parking lights.

BTW, I love how if you just give the turn signal stalk on a newer BMW a little tap, it will give three signals. Very nice thought, BMW.

SVass
Mac Elite

Use of turn signals is taught by the same people who teach English, History, and Mathematics in our schools. sam

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

Eh, I don't worry about that too much. I consider myself lucky if they don't come barreling across lanes to get right in front of me and then slam on the breaks.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 06:14 PM

I almost alway use my signals. Even when there are no other visible drivers on the road. Habit I guess. And yes I find it quite annoying when others don't use them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2008, 06:29 PM

The turn signal doesn't exist in Rhode Island. If it did Rhodies wouldn't have the faintest clue how to activate it.

The best is when you see the turn signal come on when someone is 3/4 of the way through their turn. I feel like shouting "No sh!t you're turning!" out the window in such instances.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 07:00 PM

Yeah, once you're ALREADY TURNING, the signal that you've just now turned on doesn't do me much good.

There's a maneuver that drivers will make, that I see so frequently that I've just come to think of it as "the maneuver." They're sitting in a driveway, or on a side-street, waiting to turn right, onto a 4-lane thoroughfare. They wait until the EXACT moment that a car in the inside lane traveling in the same direction will be at the apogee of their curve as they turn right into the outside lane. It's like some kind of challenge to see if they can bring their bumper within inches of the other car without quite being hit. I've seen it over and over again, where a 2-second pause would give them both lanes to turn into, but NO. They're not waiting 2 seconds. They've got places to be.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 07:20 PM

In Boston you see turn signals all the time.
They don't mean anything, mind you. People just drive with them on. Sometimes.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 07:23 PM

I can relate to everyone here. I have just learned to favor people on the road. If you drive a regular old sedan and signal, I'll make room for you. If you drive a monster suv and you are a soccer mom on your phone and don't signal I won't go out of my way to help you.

and for the love of god, if you have your windshield wipers on, turn your headlights on.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 07:26 PM

Not many here in Utah use their turn signals. It irritates me severely. I make every effort to use my signals and use them effectively.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I can relate to everyone here. I have just learned to favor people on the road. If you drive a regular old sedan and signal, I'll make room for you.
If people would actually try and use the "four second rule", there would be no need to "make room". I've been in Alaska for 37 years, and just can't get used to driving with you folks down south who (apparently) NEVER encounter a slippery road.
and for the love of god, if you have your windshield wipers on, turn your headlights on.
What?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 07:51 PM

I'm from boston where a turn signal is a sign of weakness. Generally when you see the signal, people speed up to block you from coming into the lane.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 08:03 PM

Seconded.

I went to BU 20 years ago and was absolutely shocked at how rare it was to see a turn signal.

I was even going to mention it, but I figured the observation was too out of date.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Eh, I don't worry about that too much. I consider myself lucky if they don't come barreling across lanes to get right in front of me and then slam on the breaks.
Its even worse when they slam on the brakes.

What?
Many states have "wipers on, headlights on laws." The idea is that, in inclement weather, there are a lot of morons who don't realize that a car is much harder to see in pouring rain, heavy snow, or fog, especially if one's own windshield is fogged over from the inside. It also makes it a lot harder to play dodge-em-cars when one can see a car coming down the road, and they're getting ready to turn in front of it. Of course this would explain why people also don't use their signals, as they're not in the habit of thinking about anyone but themselves. The vast majority of drivers think that being a proficient driver simply means getting in a car and pointing it in the general direction they want to go.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I've been in Alaska for 37 years, and just can't get used to driving with you folks down south who (apparently) NEVER encounter a slippery road.
We get very slippery roads here in San Antonio. It takes about five minutes of a light rain. We don't get rain regularly enough to have it wash the roads off, so that fine mist of oil that collects on the pavement just sits there until a little rain floats it up. Then it's like ice for a few minutes. Of course all the drivers around here are at that point worried that the rain will make them late, so they speed up. Yep, that's what happens.

Now when it actually snows or ices here, you'd have lots of fun watching! Things close down. REALLY. The city just shuts down, as if we were getting five feet of snow overnight or something. In all honesty that's a good thing too, because if people can't remember enough physics to drive on rain-dampened streets, there would be absolute mayhem and immense, violent wrecks all over town due to the ice or snow.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 09:09 PM

Similar to the snow phenomenon Glenn was talking about: Around here, some of my best commutes are when it rains — because so many people mysteriously get sick and aren't going to work on those days.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 09:52 PM

If people would actually try and use the "four second rule", there would be no need to "make room". I've been in Alaska for 37 years, and just can't get used to driving with you folks down south who (apparently) NEVER encounter a slippery road.

What?
I like to think I leave a safe distance. I learned how to drive in chicago and now drive in long island and manhattan regularly so I've dealt with both bad weather and total morons. The drivers in chicago are way better at dealing with rain and snow than out here. When I went to college in Maryland they were incompetent beyond belief in the snow.

headlights are free and make it easier for other drivers to see your car in the rain, I'm not sure what the confusion is about. I just get annoyed when even the police don't bother turning their headlights on.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 10:19 PM

I like it when I'm waiting to pull out from a stop sign and people don't signal so I basically have to sit there and watch them turn cuz I can't see behind them and then i call them effwad and then I just sit and wait til no one is coming cuz no one signals and piss off the person behind me. I love that.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2008, 10:31 PM

I like to think I leave a safe distance.
Impossible. If I try to leave even 2 car lengths here on the freeway, it just p*sses off the person behind me, who will then swerve past me on the right in a rage, flip me off, then swerve into the gap I was trying to leave.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I'm from boston where a turn signal is a sign of weakness. Generally when you see the signal, people speed up to block you from coming into the lane.
Exactly why I punch it AND hit my blinker* at the same time.

*that's what they're called around here

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Impossible. If I try to leave even 2 car lengths here on the freeway, it just p*sses off the person behind me, who will then swerve past me on the right in a rage, flip me off, then swerve into the gap I was trying to leave.
True story.

I was driving to Chicago to visit my friend Andy two years back and found it quite pleasant passing through Ohio. The semis all drove in the slow lane and didn't cut me off going 80mph, everyone drove like sane individuals, or at least, most of them.

Then, by some act of cruel fate, I get tailgated by some complete asshat hell bent on making me move out of his way. He swerved into the opposite lane and attempted to pass me but he didn't have nearly enough time before his lane slowed.

I finally move out of this maniacs way and he flips me the bird and honks.

Guess what state he was from? You guessed it, good ol Massachusetts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 11:07 PM

QFT.

Along those lines, please effing turn on your headlights when it gets dark.

-t

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
True story.

I was driving to Chicago to visit my friend Andy two years back and found it quite pleasant passing through Ohio. The semis all drove in the slow lane and didn't cut me off going 80mph, everyone drove like sane individuals, or at least, most of them.

Then, by some act of cruel fate, I get tailgated by some complete asshat hell bent on making me move out of his way. He swerved into the opposite lane and attempted to pass me but he didn't have nearly enough time before his lane slowed.

I finally move out of this maniacs way and he flips me the bird and honks.

Guess what state he was from? You guessed it, good ol Massachusetts.
masshole!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2008, 11:26 PM

That's what I'm talking about! Granted, on dry pavement with traffic moving, maybe it's no big deal... But I'm so ingrained to be prepared for the shat to hit the fan, being unable to leave what I consider a safe distance completely freaks me out.

I make the wife drive.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2008, 11:28 PM

I make the wife drive.

How safe is that, like leaving 0.5 car lengths ?

-t

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2008, 11:30 PM

Touché.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 12:03 AM

so maybe I just like to think a lot when I said I like to think I leave a safe distance

I hear ya though. Lucky for me I am driving east (away from nyc) in the morning and so there isn't too much traffic on the roads. Having driven an ambulance in chicago and having spent a fair amount of time in Israel where the drivers are really nuts I find it amazing that people are still willing to get behind the wheel every day knowing what's out there.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 12:16 AM

What annoys the bejesus out of me is people's lack of understanding of "right of way". The turn signal is in essence a way of letting people know of your intentions AFTER you've determined that it is safe to do so. Here in the DC area... most think its their god given right to do whatever the hell they wish BECAUSE they used the signal.

I don't know how many time I've had people speed up next to my car (or 1/2 a car ahead)... flip their signal on... and expect me to make way for them. Of course they'll also look at me like I'm the a$$hole now for not making way.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 12:27 AM

Pagin Ca$h. Ca$h report to this thread please.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I don't know how many time I've had people speed up next to my car (or 1/2 a car ahead)... flip their signal on... and expect me to make way for them. Of course they'll also look at me like I'm the a$$hole now for not making way.
Hey. Sometimes that's necessary though. If someone is trying to get into a blocked lane with their turn signal on I'll make way, they are probably needing to turn off soon. Common courtesy really.

I also make room for people waiting to enter the road and the traffic is blocked up and slow moving.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2008, 12:57 AM

What?
Yup, add snow and ice to the mix and the lack of a turn signal becomes downright dangerous.

I lived in South Lake Tahoe the last few years and it was downright scary driving there during a storm. When the tourists hit town en mass you get a lot of people making sudden last minute decisions because they don't know where things are. I can understand being lost because you don't know a place. That's fine and totally acceptable. But it doesn't give you a right to be a moron in the rest of your actions. I'd prefer if they drove with their signal on for a few hundred yards instead of just slamming on the brakes and making a very sharp and very sudden turn in heavy traffic on very slick roads.

Ultimately it all comes down to selfishness though. Traveling around the block when you miss your turnoff takes all of 2 minutes, but people just can't be bothered with that. Damn those around them. I've seen so much retardedness it's not even funny. People stopping in the number 1 land of a 4 lane road in heavy traffic on a snowy road, and then cutting sharply across the lane next to them just so they can make their street. A street which is just as easily accessible 50 or 100 yards down the road. I have much worse stories too, but I just don't want to bother writing it all down. It's too ****ing crazy, and it just blows my mind that people can be that inconsiderate.

And this is coming from someone that grew up in LA and thought they had seen it all. Driving in Tahoe makes LA look civilized.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008, 06:03 AM

I'm from Massachusetts, and I'm quite a good driver, though I'm sure that puts me in the minority. I drive 48,000 miles/year for work, been at it 18+ years, no accidents, I must be doing something right. Anyway, I use my signals ALL the time, even turning into my driveway. When I was a kid, my mother said there was NO WAY she was going to let me take driver's ed at the High School, she was going to teach me herself. She swore up and down it was the only way I'd learn to drive right, guess she was on to something.

Not all of us Mass. drivers suck, but a lot of us do !!

Tom

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 10:47 AM

Turn signals are a rarity here as well.

The other thing that bugs me is the horn mean "hello". I'm in a rural area, and when you pass someone you know, you honk to say hello. Doesn't matter what's going on with traffic.

People hear think I'm rude for not honking at them. I wave, however.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

hart
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 11:11 AM

where are you, design219? In Virginia out in the country you wave.

Here in NYC it seems driving is a competitive activity, rather than cooperative. To signal is to give the other guy an advantage. A high percentage of the drivers are taxis and car service drivers and they take winning VERY seriously. And that goes for winning over pedestrians too.

My daughter who walks to school says if she sees a taxi, a car service driver or a Fresh Direct truck coming she always waits for them to pass even if she has the light. I've spent a lot of time emphasizing to her that she should NEVER assume a car is not turning if it doesn't have it's signal on.

A favorite NYC move seems to be turning into a pedestrian crosswalk without signaling while taking on the phone (handheld). Once the person who almost ran me over was someone I knew. They at least had the grace to be embarrassed at almost killing me.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
where are you, design219?
Kentucky.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2008, 11:15 AM

The brunt of my issue with turn signals are the people who signal as they're turning. In town on the two lane main street my entire goal is not be stuck behind the guy who will have to wait for opposing traffic to turn, so late turn signals are my bane. It basically just come down to being able to read the 'body' language of cars, and keeping at discreet distance and hand ready to downshift at key intersections.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 12:36 PM

If they get rid of the "Failure to use turn signals" laws and get you for "Weaving in traffic", a moving offense, I think more folks would use 'em.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 11:19 PM

Damn. 2 car lengths? On the freeway? At 60 MPH that leaves less than .25 second to react.

I was always taught, as a rule of thumb, to leave 1 second for every 10 MPH. At 60 MPH, that would be 528 feet (if I have done my math correctly - 60 MPH = 1 mile per minute = 88 feet per second, 88 x 6 = 528). I must admit I never leave quite that much leeway, but considerably more than 2 car lengths.

People are way too impatient. Idiots.

I piss people off all the time because I try not to drive over 60 MPH much in an effort to get as many MPG as I can - last fill up I estimated 34.8 MPG . 1997 Honda Civic.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
Damn. 2 car lengths? On the freeway? At 60 MPH that leaves less than .25 second to react.
If I left 3 car lengths, I'd have two idiots swerving around me at once. Not safe.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2008, 11:53 PM

I saw a great bumper sticker that said "Visualize using your turn signal!"

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 12:36 AM

I'm one of those people you hate. For good reason. I live in L.A., and using your turn signal before you turn is not only stupid, it's downright DANGEROUS.

Putting your turn signal on before turning GUARANTEES that the person whom you'll be pulling in front of will SLAM on the gas to cut you off, quite possibly causing an accident, CERTAINLY inciting hard braking after you do turn, and beginning a road rage battle-of-horns for a half-mile.

In L.A., you make SURE you have plenty of room to get over, then confidently and quickly change lanes WHILE signaling. It is a loud and clear signal that, yes, I am indeed changing lanes, and don't worry about trying to cut me off, 'cause I'm already here.

And you know what? It's not only the safest maneuver, but it's the kindest. When you look in the mirror, the person behind you is NEVER flipping you off, never riding your tail, they've just accepted what's happened and you've both avoided a showdown that will help nobody. The result is relaxed, safer driving.

Now, of course, the KEY is that you have plenty of space to get over. If you're trying to squeeze in somewhere at the last minute, well, signal or not, you're an A-hole who should pay more attention to where you're going. And granted, this may only be in L.A. (and Boston?), where driving is a bloodsport.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2008, 01:40 AM

Yeah, right. Driving in LA is like fighting in a war. Keep on telling yourself that buddy. You should install rockets and caltrops too, and keep a couple of grenades in the glove, just in case.

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2008, 02:33 AM

I drive a convertible... but maybe a .50 mm pop-up? Or oil slicks, like in the ol' Spyhunter game...

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 10:34 AM

I piss people off all the time because I try not to drive over 60 MPH much in an effort to get as many MPG as I can - last fill up I estimated 34.8 MPG . 1997 Honda Civic.
Have you done the math to see how much more money you would make at work by always clocking in 5 minutes earlier? I bet it might be more than enough to pay for the extra gas.

If you are looking to save gas for the environment, great, but if it for economic reasons I'd like to see the math.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 02:02 PM

As long as you're doing that in a lane where 60 mph or less is the predominate rate of traffic, then more power to you.

BUT

If you're doing that in a lane where the predominate rate of traffic is higher than your chosen speed, you should be taken out and shot. Why? Because now you've become a traffic hazard and have increased the likelyhood of an accident. You've made a decision that puts your wallet above the well being of the people around you. It is for this reason that your action is also illegal. It's a violation of the prima fascia speed law. While it doesn't happen often, officers can and will pull over drivers who are driving below the rate of traffic in their lane. I've personally witnessed this and met people in traffic school who have had it happen to them. It's great that you want to maximize gas milage and reduced energy consumption and pollution, but not at the expense of other peoples lives.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yeah, right. Driving in LA is like fighting in a war. Keep on telling yourself that buddy. You should install rockets and caltrops too, and keep a couple of grenades in the glove, just in case.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
As long as you're doing that in a lane where 60 mph or less is the predominate rate of traffic, then more power to you.

BUT

If you're doing that in a lane where the predominate rate of traffic is higher than your chosen speed, you should be taken out and shot. Why? Because now you've become a traffic hazard and have increased the likelyhood of an accident. You've made a decision that puts your wallet above the well being of the people around you. It is for this reason that your action is also illegal. It's a violation of the prima fascia speed law. While it doesn't happen often, officers can and will pull over drivers who are driving below the rate of traffic in their lane. I've personally witnessed this and met people in traffic school who have had it happen to them. It's great that you want to maximize gas milage and reduced energy consumption and pollution, but not at the expense of other peoples lives.
I don't know what it's like else where, but at least here the slowest lane tends to go about 70. I make every effort to drive 65 because that's the law, and I don't make any effort to keep people from passing me. I have a friend whom I once spoke with about this. I told him that I tried to keep the law, but tended to go with "The flow of Traffic". He responded saying that he doesn't trust anyone else on the road enough to go with the flow. He make an excellent point IMO.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
words perpetually overcast Michigan words
huh? this isn't Seattle

Forum Links
Forum Rules