Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Benchmarking

Benchmarking (Page 3)
TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Microns:
<STRONG>

Well, the first WU doesn't seem to be the problem. After 20hrs we're only 55% into the second WU. So both the first and second WU's will be much slower than I'd expect for a [email protected] (30+hrs).

The box otherwise appears to be running fine which makes me wonder if Dell has cripled this model somehow (small L2 cache?) in order to save money. I'd expect more general symptoms of distress if the box had a problem.

I'll re-install the S@H software (for no good reason other than I can do it easily). Any of the Wintel experts here have any other thoughts? Appreciate your help.

Later...</STRONG>

OK, try this...

Reboot the machine and immediately start the SETI client (commandline client).

About an hour later, look at 'Task Manager' and check to see if the SETI client has been getting 95%+ of CPU time. You should have very little 'idle' CPU time - under one minute.

WinNT,2000, and XP support 6 'priority levels' for active processes. These are 'realtime' 'high' 'above normal' 'normal' 'below normal' and 'low'

The SETI client (and most other DC clients) installs with a default priority of 'low', meaning it won't get any CPU cycles as long as there is another active process with a higher priority.
*empty space*

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 12:08 PM

PS,

Unless SETI is installed as a service, it won't run unless a user is logged on.

Maybe there is a power-saving thingy that sleeps or suspends the computer after a period of inactivity - although SETI should continue to run, I would think..
*empty space*

Microns
May 25, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>PS,

Unless SETI is installed as a service, it won't run unless a user is logged on.

Maybe there is a power-saving thingy that sleeps or suspends the computer after a period of inactivity - although SETI should continue to run, I would think..</STRONG>
Good thought but the sleep and shutdown options are set to "Never". I'll try your start-up suggestion and report back.

Later...

Forum Links
Forum Rules