Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Switcher in need of help!

Switcher in need of help!
cobra7869
Apr 16, 2003, 02:01 PM

I have owned PowerBooks in the past, but in all honesty, I am now out of school and don't mess around with graphics or websites at all like I used to. So I am looking to be able to occasionally make a web page, write word documents, surf, and email, and sync to my Tungsten.

For the iBook users out there, could you tell me your experience with your iBooks. How you like them, etc... ie: Performance? Is it satisfactory? I am used to having G4's and this will be a big change, but just trying to get some honest opinions.

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 02:14 PM

Cobra!

It will be fine; you'll love it! An 800-MHz (Or even a 700, for that matter) iBook will fit your needs perfectly. For what you are looking a computer to do, asking about "performance" is like asking a Porsche dealer if a 911 Turbo will get him to work on time.

I am using an 800-MHz with 384-MB of RAM and the performance is great, to me. People who max the RAM literal say that the iBook "screams". To top it off, the iBook is well-made, sturdy, and is, in my opinion, one of the best laptops on the planet.

You do not needd to wory about performance issues or anything. The iBook can keep up with you. The REAL question is: Can you keep control of an iBook as you are swinging around a corner doing 80 MPH?

Have fun... Tony.

xtal
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 02:56 PM

I agree fully with AuPhalanx.

The iBook is a fantastic machine and will meet your needs and then some. My iBook meets my 'necessary' requirements with ease, and has some benefits I never dreamed of. I think you'll really enjoy it, and plus, it's a great eye-catcher.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 03:19 PM

Ditto the said opinions.

I have a 600mhz iBook with 384MB of RAM, and it's fabulous! I do websites and graphics work, and it handles those apps just fine, as well as all of the Office apps (though I recommend setting the Project Gallery to "List View").

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 04:26 PM

i got the 800 with 640mb ram and it is damn nice. i do not feel that it is slow at all. i am so very happy with my ibook.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 06:14 PM

I sold my rev. B PowerBook G4 667MHz to get an 800MHz iBook. I highly recommend it.

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Ditto the said opinions.

I have a 600mhz iBook with 384MB of RAM, and it's fabulous! I do websites and graphics work, and it handles those apps just fine, as well as all of the Office apps (though I recommend setting the Project Gallery to "List View").

Sage!

Dittos about the "List View" in the Project Gallery of the Office apps. More RAM would probably help that (I have 384-MB, as well), but the List View alleviates the spinning wheel.

Have fun... Tony.

ybalx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 03:56 PM

I'm about ready to put my cube to auction in favor of the speed and portability of my iBook 800 with 640 Ram -- sad I know, but in many applications the iBook seems to smoke the 450 G4 with 768 Ram.

The only regrets I'm working through are losing the larger ADC monitor currently attached to my cube, and letting go of the cube for sentimental reasons...

Anyone intereseted in beating the open market???
fat guy in a little coat

pbook 1.5 ghz, 1.5 ram

cube g4 dp 1.3 7457 geforce 3 120g Seagate 1.5g ram uj825b superdrive

classic 4 ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules