Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disk Warrior 3.0 and the new Powerbooks

Disk Warrior 3.0 and the new Powerbooks
Tomster
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 01:18 AM

For years, I dreaded one of the most annoying problems of being an early adopter. Whatever disk utility program one used would not work with your brand new system. Case in point - Disk Warrior 3.0. No go on the rev B 17" Powerbook. Works like a charm on the rev A's though.

In the pre OS X days, one would just graft parts of the new OS onto the disk image and update the utilities (anyone else use to make their own Norton disks?)

I have no clue what to do to update/bless Disk Warrior 3.0 to get it to work with the new generations of Powerbooks. I tried BootCD in the past, but we are talking about 10-15 minute boot times here. Any Unix gurus out there able to help make a bootable disk?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:34 AM

Sorry, but the BootCD program would be the only way I know to use in order to make a bootable disc...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 12:15 PM

I have it installed on a OS9 part of a 10.2.6 OS on one of my backup drives, Have not tried it yet on the 17 1.33 but I know it did great on my ti.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 12:17 PM

Get an external HD thats what I did. Why I say this well because the prices are a lot better now than in the past. My specs are below. Intsall OSX on it and you got a nice backup solution too. Its one drive that does it all basically. EH?

TechToolPro 4 I WANT IT!!!!!!! Soon I shall have it within my clutches Im scaring myself.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 12:46 PM

One other way is to partition your HD, with a system on each partition. You then run your utilities from one partition onto the opposite partition. It's also quite handy if you start having bizarre problems with Jaguar--you hold down the option key during startup and you've then got the choice of startup systems. You install the latest upgrades to your utilities on each partition and you've got it made.

For example, suppose DiskWarrior comes out with a new startup CD for the new AlBooks, but then they come out with a new version that's better suited for Panther. You'd have to wait all over again for them to come out with that new version on a Cd for Panther--or, if you've got partitions, you just happily install it on your partitions and you're in business.

Troubleshooting Jaguar has gone up 10 orders of magnitude compared to OS 9. Frequently, it seems the quickest troubleshooting for system problems in Jaguar is to do an "archive and install." You can spend hours unhappily deleting this pref or that kext (if X lets you or if you can find them), all to no avail, or you can do an archive and install right way. I've got all the updates archived on CD for just that purpose. It's pretty sad that it's come to that--ease of use (and being able to easily understand OS 9) was one of the major attractions of the Mac.

On the other hand, the complexity of Jaguar is one of the reasons that it's finding favor with the techies. Their jobs have a new lease on life!

Forum Links
Forum Rules