Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther + Mouse

Panther + Mouse
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2003, 10:05 PM

I did a clean install of Panther (iBook 700 mHz, 640 Mb RAM), and my mouse is behaving rather odd. (its a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical USB). It seems almost as if the double clicking rate has been set extremely high (so it ends up double or triple clicking on icons when I am doing a single click). I set the double click rate to the very lowest setting in System Preferences, which helped somewhat. I can't select text now, since it is very difficult to highlight text, since the 'phantom' double clicking keeps messing it up. I have intalled IntelliPoint X (v 5.0) and later uninstalled it. Before and after I have been having the same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 11:05 PM

I have an Intellimouse Optical and have problems after Fast User Switching. When I switch back to my account (where the Intellipoint software is installed), the cursor is super fast. If I click an item on the dock, the super speed goes back to normal. Hopefully MS releases a new driver soon.

osxisfun
Oct 25, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I have an Intellimouse Optical and have problems after Fast User Switching. When I switch back to my account (where the Intellipoint software is installed), the cursor is super fast. If I click an item on the dock, the super speed goes back to normal. Hopefully MS releases a new driver soon.
me too.

I thought it was just me...

anyone try usbovedrive. i may switch since 5.0 dropped mouse wheel push back / forward support witch i like, i think its still in USBoverdrive

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by zacharydz:
I did a clean install of Panther (iBook 700 mHz, 640 Mb RAM), and my mouse is behaving rather odd. (its a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical USB). It seems almost as if the double clicking rate has been set extremely high (so it ends up double or triple clicking on icons when I am doing a single click). I set the double click rate to the very lowest setting in System Preferences, which helped somewhat. I can't select text now, since it is very difficult to highlight text, since the 'phantom' double clicking keeps messing it up. I have intalled IntelliPoint X (v 5.0) and later uninstalled it. Before and after I have been having the same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Panther broke the back/forward buttons on my Logitech MX700

turboSPE

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by turboSPE:
Panther broke the back/forward buttons on my Logitech MX700

turboSPE
i have a microsoft blue mouse running perfectly with panther. i reccommend usb overdrive (sry, dont have the url, but look in version tracker, its there)

usb overdrive is the bestest thing ever. i have the center wheel bound as back in safari (cmd-[) love it.

pacÚ

Dan.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i have a microsoft blue mouse running perfectly with panther. i reccommend usb overdrive (sry, dont have the url, but look in version tracker, its there)

usb overdrive is the bestest thing ever. i have the center wheel bound as back in safari (cmd-[) love it.

pacÚ

Dan.
I'd rather not use USBOverdrive; my mouse (and all of its buttons) worked perfectly under Jaguar without any extra software.

turboSPE

bassbug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 04:01 PM

Here a similair problem:

After installing Panther (update BTW) my Logitech mouse driven by USB Overdrive seems a lot slugish compared to how it used to behave under Jaguar. The speed is a lot slower and the pointer seems to drag a bit behind the mouse movements?

What gives?
Take care!
Jay

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2003, 04:45 PM

if i hear you right, then i have the same mouse:
Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A USB

but i think i have a hardware related problem. the left clicker is a bit too sensitive, so when i click, sometimes it unclicks and clicks again, a real pain if im highlighting text. there are no screws to open up the mouse! anyone know how? do you pop off the top or something?
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Mark XV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 05:50 PM

problem with microsoft wireles optical mouse
after standby I am not able to move the mouse when I connect the standard apple mouse theres no problem

bborofka
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 06:14 PM

Is anyone annoyed with OS X's crappy mouse acceleration? I thought they would fix it in Panther, but the default mouse speed is still really bad in 10.3... particularly how when you move the mouse really slowly the cursor barely moves at all, and when you move it moderately fast the cursor jumps across the screen uncontrollably. The acceleration Apple is using is simply really bad, and it wasn't there in OS 9. It makes gaming or any graphics-intensive work very difficult.

Fortunately it can be tweaked in USB Overdrive (which is what I use for my Logitech mouse) but it's still hard to get it just how I want it.

Why can't Apple just get rid of the acceleration altogether? It doesn't feel natural in a mouse.

bassbug
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by eVo:
Is anyone annoyed with OS X's crappy mouse acceleration? I thought they would fix it in Panther, but the default mouse speed is still really bad in 10.3... particularly how when you move the mouse really slowly the cursor barely moves at all, and when you move it moderately fast the cursor jumps across the screen uncontrollably.
Well hell, that's exactly what I experienced after installing Panther! It feels like I'm using a PC where jumping cursor is part of the crummy system!

USB Overdrive still can't make the acceleration as smooth as in Jaguar because Panther's acceleration algorithm is working in the background? Maybe I should use USB Overdrive's acceleration settings instead of using System acceleration? Which setting should be used to get a smooth mouse?
Take care!
Jay

CambAngst
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 03:21 PM

Every since I installed Panther, I've had problems with the back/forward buttons in Safari. When I hit the Back button, it tries to go back two pages. Same problem with the Forward button.

Hash
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by bassbug:
Here a similair problem:

After installing Panther (update BTW) my Logitech mouse driven by USB Overdrive seems a lot slugish compared to how it used to behave under Jaguar. The speed is a lot slower and the pointer seems to drag a bit behind the mouse movements?

What gives?
same here. Logitech mouse driver 1.1.1 was really unuseable. had to revert to version 1.0.4, which slightly better. Mouse movements are still jerky, sometimes it jumps. Acceleration is bad and unbalanced. Now i am trying version 1.1, still not so good as it used to be under Jaguar. Waiting for Panther drivers from Logitech.

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 06:13 PM

Hmm, my MX700 is working fine and dandy under Panther.

I needed to re-install the Control Center, but once I did so everything works fine, including forward and back buttons.

TurboSPE, did you re-install the Logitech drivers after installing Panther?

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 03:29 PM

MS IntelliMouse Optical USB here as well, and weird things happening: i click somewhere on the desktop a square appears on the right of it (as if i would click and drag on the desktop) or i select on item in a list and it selects a few others randomly. Did not have this in 10.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules