Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PLEASE HELP!! New G5 1.8 and Apple Studio Display (CRT) WON'T WORK TOGETHER

PLEASE HELP!! New G5 1.8 and Apple Studio Display (CRT) WON'T WORK TOGETHER
cobra7869
Nov 4, 2003, 10:00 PM

Has anyone had any problems using their Apple Studio Display with their PowerMac G5 1.8 or like model?

My screen is going black when I try to "recognize" the monitor.

Any reason this setup shouldn't work.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

cbrown7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 01:33 AM

I am having the same exact problem with the same exact model computer and monitor.

Let me know if you find something out.

Originally posted by cobra7869:
Has anyone had any problems using their Apple Studio Display with their PowerMac G5 1.8 or like model?

My screen is going black when I try to "recognize" the monitor.

Any reason this setup shouldn't work.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 10:02 AM

Which Apple CRT do you have (with the ADC connector or VGA)?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

cbrown7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 10:05 AM

ADC

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2003, 10:15 AM

Have you tried lowering the resolution settings on the G5? What maybe causing the problem is that your video card could be set at some "unsane" frequency beyond the monitor's capabilities. Lower the settings to 1024x768 or less, and try again. Also lower Hz to 70 & under.

cbrown7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 10:27 AM

It should take higher settings but my default is 1024x768. I have tried lowering to 640x480 just to experiment.

MikeyMoves
Nov 5, 2003, 05:13 PM

This is not 100%, but I do remember hearing that the older ADC plugs are analog and not digital and might not work with the new video cards. Just a thought.
933 Quicksilver SUPERMACHINE!
iMac DV SE 500
Vic 20

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 5, 2003, 06:10 PM

Balderdash.

ACD is dual-link DVI-I plus USB and power.

DVI-I ("integrated") has both analog and digital signals.

The G5 definitely can output analog to its ADC port.

tooki

cbrown7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 10:33 PM

I was able to test a differnet video card and it worked. So diagnosis -- bad video card.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 10:42 PM

Yep. Def the video card. Should be able to run VGA through it's ADC out just fine.
Aloha

Allen Dulles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2003, 05:59 PM

Its probably academic at this point, but I have two of the 17" ADC crts, that aren't supposed to work with power adapters to convert them to a DVI or VGA output. I bought one of the early Gefen adc adapters about two years ago, because I couldn't think of a good reason why it wouldn't work. The dvi cable included didn't have the analog signal pins, so I had to find my own dvi-i cable to vga.

At the time I was using a Cinema disaplay with a geforce 3 card and some sort of ati pci card. After plugging all the bits together and booting, I had a black screen on the 17" crt without power. I don't remember exactly but I think it showed the monitor and available resolutions in the Menu Bar Display, but the monitor acted dead.

After doing alot of fooling around and frustration, I did some non-computer things and the mac went to sleep. When the mac woke, the adc crt came to life and then proceeded to work properly from then on. Its power came on at startup, and was recognized correctly in the sys profile and displays prefs with full support for the geometry, color, etc.

I have since used it and a second one with my Cube and Dual 800 quicksilver with a few different video cards. At present I have it hooked up to a pci radeon 7000, and the same black screen/sleep/wakeup/works procedure worked. I have a vague idea that maybe the ddc info is the culprit.

Anyway, this is the first time I've bothered to post this hack I found for the 17" adc crt, but the symptoms you had reminded me of this problem. I'd be curious to see if this works with other brands of adc adapters.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules