Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Automount Network Drives?

Automount Network Drives?
CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 01:38 PM

Is there a way - either built into OS X or with a third-party tool - to have network drives automatically mounted when I join a new network? I regularly take my powerbook between work and home. Each time I need to mount the drives I need by hand, which is quite tedious.

Thanks for your advice.

hayesk
Aug 11, 2004, 01:40 PM

Could you write an AppleScript to mount them for you?

CubeWannaB  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2004, 01:26 PM

I'm looking for something that's already made. I checked versiontracker and didn't see anything, which seems to be a bad sign, but it seems like such a common task - 3 people are in the same situation in my office alone - that I'd have thought someone would have already made a solution.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 02:02 PM

I have the drives I want to mount in my start-up items and as aliases in my Finder Toolbar. I can either click the alias to mount it quickly or they are mounted for me when I log in.

This approach has one drawback : if I am not in the office it tries to mount them which makes the log in a little longer than I would like.

mhodos
Aug 16, 2004, 01:34 PM

I have been trying to figure out how to do this, too.

Could you please, SMacTec, explain in more detail how this is done.

I connected to a shared folder and tried using Option-Control-Drag to create an alias in the sidebar of the finder window, but because this share is already listed there, I don't think it did anything.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 04:58 AM

I put mine in the Dock, next to the trash can, always there, ready to be clicked when on the home network, if not, there's a '?' mark on it, but no delays or anything like that ...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

mhodos
Aug 17, 2004, 10:01 AM

Thanks very much, d.fine, that works great for me.

And, I re-read SMacTech and it was "Toolbar" and not "Sidebar." Dragging a share's icon from the desktop to the finder Toolbar works as expected.

Thanks again,

Mike

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 10:07 AM

np, glad I could help

goose
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I have the drives I want to mount in my start-up items and as aliases in my Finder Toolbar. I can either click the alias to mount it quickly or they are mounted for me when I log in.

This approach has one drawback : if I am not in the office it tries to mount them which makes the log in a little longer than I would like.
I noticed that when I do this, on login, it opens up the network mounts in a new Finder window. I would like to figure out a way to do this, but not have a window open......

There's never enough when you have too little

mhodos
Aug 17, 2004, 09:48 PM

Now that I have my shares in the dock for quick access, how can I change their icon, or the text that appears when I mouse over them?

I have shares to folders with the same name (My Documents, go figure) on multiple Windows Shares in my home and office. I'd love to be able to differentiate them by icon and/or by name.

Thanks very much for all the help,

Mike

goose
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by mhodos:
Now that I have my shares in the dock for quick access, how can I change their icon, or the text that appears when I mouse over them?

I have shares to folders with the same name (My Documents, go figure) on multiple Windows Shares in my home and office. I'd love to be able to differentiate them by icon and/or by name.

Thanks very much for all the help,

Mike
I think if you change the icon for the mounted drive, when you drag it to the Dock it will use that icon.

There's never enough when you have too little

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by goose:
I think if you change the icon for the mounted drive, when you drag it to the Dock it will use that icon.
Yep, it does, and if you change the name it will display that too in the Dock ...

mhodos
Aug 18, 2004, 07:51 AM

I feel like my newbie hat just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

How do I change the icon for a network drive (or any icon for that matter).

And, how do I change the name of the network share without actually changing it on the networked machine?

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great!

Mike

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 08:00 AM

Select the file, select Get Info from the File menu. The icon appears in the upper left corner of the Get Info window. Click on the icon and paste a new one in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules