Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Inactivity Sleep not working - but display sleep is

Inactivity Sleep not working - but display sleep is
CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 12:37 PM

I have my powerbook 12" rev C set to sleep when it is inactive for 15min. I'm used to leaving it open and just walking off, expecting it to fall asleep.

However last night I returned home 4 hours later to find the screen asleep but not the machine itself, as evidenced by the light on the front not being on. I shook the mouse and sure enough the screen came on but the HD didn't sping up - because it was already spinning. And the batter indicator was red (it had just been fully charged when I left).

I set the activity timeout to 1 minute and watched it do the same thing twice - screen goes off but HD doesn't spin down and latch light doesn't come on.

I can't figure out what would keep it awake yet let the screen sleep. Has anyone heard of this?

ibook_steve
Aug 19, 2004, 02:02 PM

Any programs that do anything with the Internet, if you have a connection, will keep the machine awake. Also, make sure you have it set correctly for power adaptor vs. battery. This is a common mistake. If it is set correctly, try quitting all your programs and testing. If it still does not go to sleep, disconnect ethernet and/or turn off Airport and see what happens. It'll sleep eventually.

Steve

drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 19, 2004, 02:16 PM

Take a look at this iBook thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules