Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Wireless Keyboard + Glass of Coke

Apple Wireless Keyboard + Glass of Coke
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 09:51 AM

I accidently knocked over a glass of Coke on my apple wireless keyboard. I opened up the keyboard pretty quickly and cleaned up the mess; most of the liquid hit around the arrow keys, but the actual silicone chip part looked completely dry. After taking apart the whole keyboard and cleaning everything, it's acting pretty funky (big surprise, huh?). The weird part is, when i flip the keyboard on, the LED light goes on for about 4 seconds, then starts doing a pattern of two short blinks followed by a pause. If I turn the keyboard on and off during the bluetooth device setup, I can get to the part where I am prompted to enter the passkey.

Is this keyboard trashed? I sort of figured that it wouldn't work at all if it was damaged by liquid, so is this behavior repairable? (I would hate to dish out another $70 for a new wireless keyboard)

Thanks in advance.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 10:31 AM

How did you clean the keyboard?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by zacharydz:
I accidently knocked over a glass of Coke on my apple wireless keyboard. I opened up the keyboard pretty quickly and cleaned up the mess; most of the liquid hit around the arrow keys, but the actual silicone chip part looked completely dry. After taking apart the whole keyboard and cleaning everything, it's acting pretty funky (big surprise, huh?). The weird part is, when i flip the keyboard on, the LED light goes on for about 4 seconds, then starts doing a pattern of two short blinks followed by a pause. If I turn the keyboard on and off during the bluetooth device setup, I can get to the part where I am prompted to enter the passkey.

Is this keyboard trashed? I sort of figured that it wouldn't work at all if it was damaged by liquid, so is this behavior repairable? (I would hate to dish out another $70 for a new wireless keyboard)

Thanks in advance.
The good thing is, this is only a $70 "oops." Had it been a laptop, you would have been out a lot more

Probably easiest to just junk it and buy a new one.

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2004, 05:07 PM

I took it apart again (this time dissasembled everything) I removed those 20 or so small screws that are screwed into the metal base part. There was three plastic sheets with wires, etc in them. Turns out some of the coke seeped into that part. So I went out and bought some 90% isopropyl alcohol and thoroughly drenched everything with it. Since it was such high proof alcohol, it evaporated quickly and I then used canned air to make sure everything was dry. Reassembled everything, and it works! A bit of a pain, but worth the $70 that I 'saved'.
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 05:34 PM

I had a similar case, but it was the original Apple USB keyboard and coffee. It died on me and I had to get the McAlly iKey rather than shelled out $99 bucks and wait-time to get the same kayboard from Apple.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 01:08 AM

A friend once spilt a glass of Jack Danials + Coke on my USB keyboard (one of the current ones). We decided it was dead, so I thought I'd have a bit of fun and soaked it in a bath for an hour. I then left it out to dry for a week. Once I was sure it was dry I plugged it back in. It worked! In fact, it was just as it used to be so I'm still using it. Seems flawless to me. Now, I don't know how well a wireless keyboard would react to being submerged, but you can do it with the USB model
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2004, 03:40 AM

Alcohol is a solvent. It can easily react with the plastics, metals and coatings of the keyboard.

Next time use distilled water, which will leave no residue. You can heat it up first in a ceramic cup in the microwave to make it evaporate faster. Better to do it on a dry day as well.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

-Q-
Nov 8, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by nJm:
A friend once spilt a glass of Jack Danials + Coke on my USB keyboard (one of the current ones). We decided it was dead, so I thought I'd have a bit of fun and soaked it in a bath for an hour. I then left it out to dry for a week. Once I was sure it was dry I plugged it back in. It worked! In fact, it was just as it used to be so I'm still using it. Seems flawless to me. Now, I don't know how well a wireless keyboard would react to being submerged, but you can do it with the USB model
I'd heard that some of the computer techs in my high school would use the dishwashers in the Home Ec room to clean the computer lab keyboards (the old solid as a tank Apple Extended Keyboard). Never saw it done, but our labs did have the cleanest public-use keyboards I'd ever seen.

sith33
Nov 8, 2004, 11:35 AM

As long as the device isn't powered when submerged, water shouldn't really hurt it. You just need to also get it try to avoid corrosion. I spilled a glass of orange juice in my last apple USB keyboard, but applecare replaced it

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 08:55 PM

Why not use electronic cleaner spray?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
Why not use electronic cleaner spray?
Pffft. Logic.

Forum Links