Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ignoring desktop clicks?

Ignoring desktop clicks?
CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 12:22 PM

Is there a way to have clicks on the desktop not switch to the finder? I find I often accidentally click on the void between windows and as a result suddenly find myself in the finder instead of the application I was working with.
( Last edited by CubeWannaB; Dec 9, 2004 at 04:10 PM. )

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 01:15 PM

I wouldn't see how it would be possible to stop that, it's more or less a function of the OS. If you click on it, you will go to it. However you could try alt-tabbing (or do you call it option) your way back into your program or clicking on it on the dock. Also if possible, make the window you're working in larger.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 01:58 PM

Sure - you can kill the Finder, but any icons you have on your desktop will disappear.

Also, the Finder has a tendency to restart itself, so it won't last very long.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

CubeWannaB  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2004, 04:15 PM

The finder is too useful to turn off, of course. I was hoping that it had a hidden option to stop this behavior, or perhaps a utility had been written to stop it. This seems like one of the features from OS 9 that no one has tried to port to OS X, probably because it wasn't popular.

I wouldn't miss the icons on my desktop since there is already none there.

I can't make the window larger, however. It's the layer palette in Photoshop that is to blame. For some stupid reason all the palettes in Photoshop will always stay one pixel away from the screen edge. This destroys Fitt's law in one of the few places that applications can still use it: photoshop palettes on a second monitor, a fairly common configuration among us designers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules