Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Two cursors with two displays?

Two cursors with two displays?
Stingrey
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 07:49 AM

Anyone else noticing that while browsing Safari in Tiger (if you have two displays) you once in a while get a second cursor in your second display that mimics your first one 'till you drag your real cursor into the 2nd display and then you are back to just one mouse?

Rey

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 01:21 PM

Just to clarify, if anyone has TWO displays, are you at any point noticing two cursors (one in each display) show up every now and then when browsing in Safari? I haven't experienced it at any other point in time, so not sure if it happens with other browsers or not.

Rey

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 18, 2005, 07:15 PM

Considering that the OS, not the application, draws the mouse pointer, it shouldn't be at all possible to have two mouse pointers.

tooki

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2005, 07:55 PM

Understood... This is why I am presenting this in this thread. It is happening every now and then for me (again, with TWO displays) and I find it highly unusual if not flat out impossible, but yet it is happening. Anyone else with two displays able to surf the web (go to cnn.com for example, browse the site, the links, etc) and just basically surf the web. ONCE IN A WHILE I get a second cursor which replicates my main screen cursor. If I mouse over a link and get a hand icon, the second display does the same thing... Not all that easy to make it happen, it just happens once in a while.

Rey

Originally Posted by tooki
Considering that the OS, not the application, draws the mouse pointer, it shouldn't be at all possible to have two mouse pointers.

tooki

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2005, 09:48 AM

I get it every now and then but it's upon waking from sleep and the cursor on the second montor is a dead one. Once i drag over to it and back it's gone. That's on my power mac.

On my power book tiger hasn't been playing as nice. Still got a few issues but i am working them out slowly.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

BillAvi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by southtdi
I get it every now and then but it's upon waking from sleep and the cursor on the second montor is a dead one. Once i drag over to it and back it's gone. That's on my power mac.

On my power book tiger hasn't been playing as nice. Still got a few issues but i am working them out slowly.
Same for me. Two Monitors (Apple 17" ADC & Apple 23" DVI). Dead cursor leaves when I scroll over to it.

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
May 26, 2005, 11:30 PM

Wow, so it is slightly common (although mine pops up infrequently) with two displays... Even if one is built in. I have a 17" Powerbook, 1st one that came out in the 17... Using a Samsung SyncMaster 170MP display as my 2nd display. Other Safari oddities I've noticed are a strange "Safari was unable to load this site, connection was likely reset" type error message when logging onto a password based site and something else I can't remember. Nothing annoys me more though than how my ImageCapture.app won't sync the way that it used to. I'll post that in another thread soon. Have a Sony T1 and the pics sync, but when a movie file is on the cam the pics don't sync properly if auto-delete pics after sync is enabled. That's another story. In the meantime, the 2nd cursor thing is strange. Where would we report this type of a bug since it is not limited to just us most likely?

Rey

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by southtdi

Same here. I have my screen set to go blank after 10 minutes and after 15 minutes the screen saver kicks in (I never see it). So if I move the mouse I get the password dialog first to unlock my screen. When that happens there's always a seconds mouse cursor on the far right side of my 15" LCD that's on the left. When I move the mouse it disappears.

Titanium PowerBook + 15" Apple Studio Display (grey one with DVI).

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules