Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Swap Sawtooth CPUs?

Swap Sawtooth CPUs?
zacharydz
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2005, 07:45 PM

I recently picked up a used 350 Mhz Sawtooth for $55 and I also got a 400 Mhz Sawtooth CPU for $7. I can just swap the 400 Mhz CPU with the 350 right? I'm assuming I wouldnt have to change any jumpers??? Thanks
Macbook 1.83 Ghz CD, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, OS 10.6.2

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2005, 07:59 PM

Yupp. Just swap it in and boot up.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Yupp. Just swap it in and boot up.
Thanks! Replaced the cpu in about 5 minutes and it's up and running. It's kinda funny, this powermac isn't terribly slower than my iBook.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2005, 06:02 PM

Two factors attibute to that. One of them being that the G4 processor used in the early G4 Macs, dubbed the 7400-series, is a good bit faster at the same clock rate than the G4 processor used in later Macs, such as your iBook, dubbed the 7450-series. Second to that is the fact that the early iBook G4s were serverely cache cripped, with only 256k of L2.

BTW; You might want to take a run at finding out of your Sawtooth is dual-capable. You can find Dual 500MHz modules on eBay for as little as $60 now, and you would find the speed boost to be quite phenominal. Your Sawtooth would blow your iBook out of the water.

Uni-N Revision Checker
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

zacharydz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Two factors attibute to that. One of them being that the G4 processor used in the early G4 Macs, dubbed the 7400-series, is a good bit faster at the same clock rate than the G4 processor used in later Macs, such as your iBook, dubbed the 7450-series. Second to that is the fact that the early iBook G4s were serverely cache cripped, with only 256k of L2.

BTW; You might want to take a run at finding out of your Sawtooth is dual-capable. You can find Dual 500MHz modules on eBay for as little as $60 now, and you would find the speed boost to be quite phenominal. Your Sawtooth would blow your iBook out of the water.

Uni-N Revision Checker

I have a Uni-N Revision 3. I'm selling off some old hard drives and other sundry equipment for a cpu upgrade. I'm looking at either a Sonnet 1.3 or 1.4 Ghz G4 with 2 MB L3 cache.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2005, 06:20 PM

Not a bad idear. But I'd look at PowerLogix and Giga Designs over Sonnet. They each charge less than Sonnet and allow you to tinker with the clock speed of the upgrade without voiding the warranty. And PowerLogix seems to have resolved their quality control issues recently so I'd say quality is comparable across all three of the brands.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

spork
Nov 3, 2005, 06:54 AM

hello
any of these brands, PowerLogix, Giga Designs or Sonnet, will work fine in my Digital Audio? I ran the uni test and it gave me number 11 and am only interested in removing a dual chip and installing another. Is any one of them of better quality, easier to install or have a better cost benefit? Personally, 1.3 dual would be great for me, especially since it wouldn't cost all of 5 or 6 hundred.

I saw the test numbers for Lateralus's tower in the photoshop blur forum and it smoked. thas was for dual 1.8, correct?

from the sonnet page about there 1.3 duet upgrade :
Dual G4 745X CPUs running at 1.267 or 1.3 GHz

On ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gigadesigns-Dual...QQcmdZViewItem
these seem to be the same chips?

Perhaps somebody can give me layman's version of the G4 chip upgrades possible?
Are there many different 745? series chips?

all the best and thanks again.
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

Forum Links
Forum Rules