Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VNC Web access?

VNC Web access?
Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:26 AM

I was wondering if anyone has successfully confiigured VNC to work by http? I loved using this feature on os9, but after moving to X I never got the web feature to work... I'm wondering 'cause once in a while I am asked to do something that I otherwise wouldn't be allowed to do from work... The port is not blocked off, so I could always just call up IE and put in my IP/port/password etc and then do what I need to... The alternative is to run the app from the work computer, but I don't have rights (or a "business" need) to install a VNC viewer at work. Any info appreciated.

Rey :)

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:37 AM

Yep, i have gotten this to work. Just download the link below uzip and where ever you put that folder that's the where you need to connect.

http://home.comcast.net/~wingchuner/VNC.zip
Ex.

hxxp://your-ip-address/~user/directory-where-VNC-is/

this will load up in your browser, just make sure you have JAVA or it will not work.

i believe it is set up normally for port 5900 but i am not sure...if someone understands how the files actually work please do explain..i found this a long time ago and have kept it since and it works pretty nicely
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

Stingrey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:45 AM

Cool, thanks for the quick reply, off to bed before I stay up much later (got to go to classes in the a.m. and then work all of the rest of the day)... Before I go though, just to ask the required dumb follow up question, so I just need to be running the VNC app and then this other folder will allow that app to be "parsed" through html or what have you? Don't want to try since it won't work right off the bat and I'll spend another hour up. But if I understand properly, that's how it should work, right? And thanks again for the link, got the stuff ready to go (in case it works when I try it tomorrow)

Rey :)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2006, 01:49 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules