Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 iMac screen dimming problem

G5 iMac screen dimming problem
Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2010, 03:57 PM

3 or 4 times in the last few days, I've noticed a problem where part of my iMac's LCD suddenly goes dim when I'm using it. Unlike the screen's automatic dimming feature, this occurs as a gradient, with the darkest portion at the top and normal brightness toward the bottom. After restarting, the problem goes away. I don't know enough to guess whether it's a hardware or software issue, but when it happens I notice that I can't activate the screensaver in the usual way. Using OS X 10.58, on a 1.8 GHz G5 (rev. A) with 512 MB RAM here.

I'm half wondering if my computer's days are numbered. The internal HD failed a couple weeks ago (though 6 years ain't bad, I suppose), and I'm surviving on an external drive at the moment. Could replace it, but the LCD thing makes me wonder if there's another hardware issue at work here.
( Last edited by Patrick; Dec 7, 2010 at 04:05 PM. )

P
Dec 7, 2010, 04:30 PM

This sounds like the backlight of the LCD is going. I have that exact model, I liked it a lot and it still sees some use as an emergency TV, but it's time to upgrade.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 7, 2010, 04:47 PM

Sounds like the CCFL (bulb) at the top, or the connection to the bulb is failing.

Patrick  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2010, 02:11 AM

Thanks. So I just googled "imac ccfl gradient," and sure enough, found people describing the same problem. Upgrade timeā€¦ I remember drooling over those newer iMacs anyway. Here's to hoping I'm on Santa's "nice" list this year.

EDIT: apparently the screensaver thing wasn't part of the problem. I just remembered I'd zapped the PRAM a few days ago, which would have reset certain system preferences like the screensaver hot corner.
( Last edited by Patrick; Dec 8, 2010 at 10:44 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules