Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen brightness, keyboard brightness, and keymarks, oh my!

Screen brightness, keyboard brightness, and keymarks, oh my!
vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 01:50 AM

I *know* these topics have been covered before on this board, but since I can't get the search function to, well, function, I'm going to post a question (or three) and hope I don't get pinged too badly for it.

I've got a 15" Albook, week 48, bought it in early December 2003. It's just recently started to develop the "darkened screen effect" whereby part of the screen is dimmer than the rest. On mine, it's the far lower left corner (a spot about the size of a dime), and probably the lower right quarter of the screen.

It's not as noticable in bright light, at high-screen brightness, but when I've got it dimmed all the way down to the last bar or two, or I've just brought it out of sleep mode, it's incredibly noticeable. This is a problem for me, as I do a lot of graphics work in darkened labs at school.

In a similar vein, I've also started to notice problems with the backlit keyboard. It's sporadic at best (when it turns on and off, I wish there was just a simple off/on switch instead of the sensor), but even when it's on and all the way up, I can't see my function keys, and it looks like the left side of every letter is dimmer than the right. I'm thinking this is a fiber-optic cable problem.

Third, I've got key imprints on my screen. This is what really peeves me, because I've used the bit of foam that comes with it the entire time, and I've babied this thing. Granted, I carry it with me everywhere, but I have a bag w/ a padded compartment for it, and I try to be as gentle as I can w/ the bag. For the amount of money this machine cost, I expected this "common" problem to not be a problem.

Finally, it seems like when the lid is closed, there's much more of a gap between the lid and main body on the right side than on the left. It was like this, a little, out of the box, but it's gotten noticeably worse. I know it's humid here, but it's not that bad!

I've got Apple Care, and there's an Apple Store here. The question at this point I think is whether or not this is all covered by Apple Care, and how long the repairs will take.

echosphere
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 04:33 PM

Same thing with me with the gap on the right lid side, gotten worse with time, sigh.

Regarding the darker screen, my right side was darker when the display was dimmed down a little.

I reset the PMU and PRAM and this fixed it, not sure if it will for you though, seems a little different problem, but worth a shot. Apple website has directions on how to reset these.

~Echo
I'm from the government and I'm here to help

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 07:31 PM

I have a rev a 12" powerbook bought in March 2003, and the screen developed a dim spot on the lower right of the screen.And the screen seemed noticeable darker then the other powerbooks i were seeing. i brought it to the applestore under my one year warranty and they replaced the entire screen. bright as new. i brought it to the store on saturday and got it back that wednesday.

Sincerely,
Mel

Forum Links
Forum Rules